Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

So I thought about firing up P3D and/or XP last night...

On 9/23/2020 at 5:32 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

I had made this video during Tech Alpha in regards to LOD Radius issues in MSFS and short the radius is with missing building detail at a given distance:

MSFS still has a ways to go when it comes to LOD Radius.

Cheers, Rob.

I changed my LOD radius to 5 in MSFS and it looks amazing.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

39 minutes ago, Slides said:

You don't have to explain anything. We have evidence in front of us that only MSFS currently has clouds that are a generation ahead of any other sim.

Of course it is, graphics wise, no denial here.

This discussion though, was about wether xp/p3d can close this graphics gap, some here claim that no and "it's too late". If you listen to the interview, you might see that those kind of claims has little to do with what's actually is going on.

We all should be really happy, flight sims finally look like AAA games,, msfs is only the start:-)

some don't care about good graphics rather about simulation, but we can have both now, why not?

• Upvote 1

On 9/23/2020 at 5:46 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yes, but was not able to sustain 30 FPS.

Cheers, Rob.

With what system?  I raised mine to 5 and LOD distance is great but still smooth.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

@VFXSimmerYou can't compare msfs to x-plane 11 graphic wise since the latter was released many years ago, most x-plane users did not have hardware for that.

No denial here about that, msfs looks visually much better.

Some of you seem to take it as msfs vs xp, Im merely excited about the near future of flight simming. Better stuff will come, and then, better stuff will come again, it's just finally flight sims are doing huge steps graphics wise and not looking at AAA games with some sadness about why we cant enjoy both simulation and good graphics, well it's getting there.

Edited by mtaxp

6 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

@VFXSimmerYou can't compare msfs to x-plane 11 graphic wise since the latter was released many years ago, most x-plane users did not have hardware for that.

No denial here about that, msfs looks visually much better.

Some of you seem to take it as msfs vs xp, Im merely excited about the near future of flight simming. Better stuff will come, and then, better stuff will come again, it's just finally flight sims are doing huge steps graphics wise and not looking at AAA games with some sadness about why we cant enjoy both simulation and good graphics, well it's getting there.

Fair enough.  Will leave it at that.  Agreed.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:32 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

I had made this video during Tech Alpha in regards to LOD Radius issues in MSFS and short the radius is with missing building detail at a given distance:

MSFS still has a ways to go when it comes to LOD Radius.

Cheers, Rob.

Can't help but notice these two have very different levels of haze which is absolutely going to affect clarity at greater LOD radii.  Even the foreground in MSFS if far more obscured.  I do take notice the big CPU utlization delta between the two--again to me this suggests lots of headroom for more complex planeware.  

After a long salvo of MSFS use only, my conclusion:  P3D w/ Orbx can indeed be quite pretty in places and times of day, but it's just far simpler, and only somewhat looks like the real thing in terms of both lighting and scenery, and that is hard to accept after a few weeks of flying out of for example St George UT at dawn on up to Telluride.  OMG, I did this on me motorcycle as part of a 10K mile trip x-country and back to the west coast and am doing this route in MSFS now.   Holy Cow I felt like I had really landed in St. George late in the afternoon it was just spectacular!  I wanted to get out of the plane and call an Uber to get to the restaurant we ate at on that stop!

I flew out of Telluride in both sims today.  P3D/Orbx wasn't bad at all by those old standards but once again a poor contest compared w/ MSFS.  

I do hope we can get some really good 3rd party airware soon.  When that happens and when FSCaptain or something like it appears I may not use P3D much going forward, despite how good the entire package is, w/ all of its myriad addons.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

15 hours ago, mtaxp said:

We all should be really happy, flight sims finally look like AAA games,, msfs is only the start:-)

MSFS plays in a different league overall.

They can do this here:

bk5IAcb.png

and next to it continuously deliver updates like the Japan scenery.

Other sims mostly focus on one thing at a time. We have seen that throughout the past years. And that's the biggest benefit of MSFS - the "real gap" if you will.

And as long as they don't implement Google maps, they also won't look as realistic. Don't mix realistic with plausible. There's nothing more realistic than a texture of real life. 😉

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

MSFS  is leaps and bounds ahead of P3D and X-Plane, this is really not a fair comparison. It's like putting the current boxing Heavyweight champion in the ring with some 70+ year old dude who used to box for his high school team back in the days. It's just not a fair fight. Stick a fork in them, they're done, anything else is just adding insult to injury.

But, let's not dwell on the past, let's look instead to one of the greatest innovations MSFS offers: the ease with which we can install addons.

The old way:

1. Download scenery
2. Unpack scenery
3. Find the readme file
4. Move this folder hither move that folder yonder.
5. Fire up the simulator and let the sim rebuild the scenery
6. More often than not, trouble shoot and fiddle around with "scenery layers and scenery entries"
7. Finally, load the scenery and hope everything worked out.

The new way:

1. Download scenery
2. Unpack scenery (or livery)
3. Move scenery (or livery) folder to "Community" folder
4. Done!

The ease of installing stuff alone is worth the price of the sim. (Although I'm sure addon developers will find a way to make this more complicated than it needs to be).

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

The new way:

1. Download scenery
2. Unpack scenery (or livery)
3. Move scenery (or livery) folder to "Community" folder
4. Done!

Its hardly new, its been done in XPLANE like that for years. Albeit the folder is named differently, but, same process..... 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Its hardly new, its been done in XPLANE like that for years. Albeit the folder is named differently, but, same process..... 

...and yet XPlane has never been able to move out of its status as a niche simulator. Wonder why that is.....

The undeniable fact is that MSFS has leap-frogged over both sims by giving us an outstanding base package - for me, the ease with which to install addons - compared to the mangled ways in FSX and P3D - is one of the key features for me.

17 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

With what system?  I raised mine to 5 and LOD distance is great but still smooth.

How did you do this?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

12 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

...and yet XPlane has never been able to move out of its status as a niche simulator. Wonder why that is.....

Different debate. I was responding to you proclaiming MSFS had invented the 'new way to install', when in actual fact its been done like that for years in XP....

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

its been done like that for years in XP....

I suppose we should all go to back to XP, then..

At any rate, I should probably amend my post to say: within the lineage and legacy of FS...leaving aside the 40 other different ways in which MSFS beats the pants off... ah, forget it, let's not go there. ...

Edit: Yeah, adding xplane addons is easy.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?17902-A-Beginners-Guide-to-Installing-X-Plane-Add-ons

https://x-plane.helpscoutdocs.com/article/40-installing-add-on-scenery-packs

Edited by Ricardo41

On 9/23/2020 at 6:27 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

QW 787 out of KSEA in P3D V5.0 HF1 seems very good visually to me?

Cheers, Rob.

GPU 35 degrees ?????

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.