Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

Back to P3D V4.5 / V5 - What I do/do you like about it?

My approach of this topic is a positive one! I would like to keep it this way please. I will try to stay objective as much as possible and I would like to ask you to do also so. 😉

Since a few weeks I do observate that a lot of simmers are "coming back" to P3D. If it is V4 or V5 does not matter in this thread.

The most of "us" come back from trying MSFS, At least I do assume. Some others never "left the building".

I had my reasons for coming back. I also did try MSFS for a while. But already after 2 weeks of "trying" I did decide to "go back to P3D".

What I like about P3D:

• A very stable plattofrm (at least in my case. This could be different in "your" case)
  • Lot´s of addons
  • Great ground handling wich raises the immersion
  • High Profs. Airplane Addons with good system depth (FSLabs, PMDG, etc. Even Aerosoft beats MSFS at this moment)
  • With EA at Beta a "promissing" visual approach in short/mid term
  • For me a big reasons is a good performing VR
  • Outstanding overall performance since V4.5HF2 and even better with V5

These are the main reasons I came back. 

What I also realised is the "behaviour" of some simmers here in the P3D section of AVSIM. It seems to me (SUBJETIVE) that it is more "adult" overhere! More "core simmers" with long long lasting experiences who are always having a helping hand with very good and working approaches!

Now....what about you? Why are you back? Or why did you never leave?

Very curious about your feedback 

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

P3D is becoming more mature with every release. 
And, just speaking for myself, it is very stable.

LM’s main goal is a stable base sim that can be enhanced with 3rd party scenery, aircraft and apps. People can choose how enhanced their sim needs to be. Some have added little ; other, like me  have spent a lot adding extras.

The focus of MS/Asobo is on eyecandy first . That is a different approach which is causing a lot of issues. Hopefully they are able to make it more stable with less issues before continuing adding scenery enhancements only.

P3Dv5 with a fully working EA is what I am waiting for. And adding SLI ( Beau stafed that they are looking into that ... ).

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

After I got dissapointed with P3D5 I did not plunge into MSFS. I was pretty astonished to see it available after four weeks of Beta, which was pretty short. So it does not really surprise me, it is not mature. My expectations where way higher after all these videos that have been shown from the Alpha. That was really promising.

Status at the moment. P3D5 used to run but since weeks I have a CTD during startup. Don't waste my time with it.

P3D4.5 runs fine. All my addons are there and i even bought more of them since MSFS got published. But I look they may be working in P3D5 too. I feel sad about that 4.5 will never get an update again and I know I have to go to 5 one day. On the other side it is now very relaxed with 4.5 since nothing changes anymore. This gives the stability and time to go back to flying instead of twiddling on the sims params to get the most out of it. I have most but still these darned stutters from time to time and loading scenery when entering a new area are really unsolved problems. At least v5 and MSFS aren't any better in this. Maybe I shoud just cut back in AI to get the most real flying experience. 

• Like 5

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

LM’s main goal is a stable base sim that can be enhanced with 3rd party scenery, aircraft and apps.

Guys,

P3Dv4.5 and v5 are both good, reasonably stable and to a large extent a fully enhanced (with addons) platform.So is Xplane. Many people are not abandoning anything and go back and forth with all of their downloaded and installed platforms, I go to P3D, XPlane and MSFS on a daily basis. I cannot understand anyone who would abandon all that they have enjoyed for a length of time, based on a marketing programme which has resulted in many people having raised (and subsequently disappointed) expectations for MSFS.

Rest assured, that MSFS has exactly the same programme of goals as all before it. The fact that they prioritised "prettiness" ahead of brutal functionality was a marketing (and very successful) strategy. 3PDs will transform this platform as they have done for all the others.  The incomplete SDK will inevitably delay their introduction, but that transformation to excellence will happen in the long term.  

Further, I really feel that the people who have sworn off MSFS will eventually return in the future. It really depends on what they are looking for in a sim.  MSFS instability for some is a given, whilst others are not experiencing the lows that instability, or avionics and other various problems introduce.

If individuals are unhappy, then I can fully understand their frustrations and desire to go back to their previous favourites.  That is not a problem. It can be done with a little less fanfare and vitriol though. 

In the end it does not make a lot of sense (to me at least) to not revisit from time to time even if that revisit is just to confirm that problems have not yet been fixed.

I think that each of our favourite platforms, all, have their strengths.  For MSFS it is "prettiness" for P3D it is all round solidarity and great great aircraft and utilities, For Xplane it is flight dynamics and lighting.  Eventually MSFS (with 3PDs) will attain the great aircraft and utilities standards, and it is hoped that Asobo and/or the community will solve the instability and other hassles or bugs.

To e there is no point in denigrating platforms that you may or may not be happy with.  A simple  "I have this problem which I have reported to ZenDesk along with Event viewer documentation and possibly  .cfg  documentation. 

MSFS has an admitted problem but it would be nice if we could all just support it and continue using the other platforms until it is all sorted out.

Tony   

• Like 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Easy to answer.....it works.

Edited by W2DR
Cleaned up language...........
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Maturity...  It's had 10 years of solid add-on development with by far the largest assortment of detailed aircraft available in the sim world right now.  V 4.5 is "stable" for me but still has random CTD on long hauls, V5 is not for me for the same reason as MSFS, it's just got too many issues right now so I go back and forth between 4.5 for a long haul in a detailed add-on aircraft then pop back to MSFS when I want to see an accurate depiction of the world or go fly over the race track I will be using IRL in the sim and see it depicted perfectly or try one of the landing challenges in simply spectacular scenery but it's eye candy at the moment.  

Once they blend they eye candy with performance and dev's start to bring more complex heavies to MSFS I truly "Hope" MSFS becomes the be all end all for the next ten years...   "If" they can blend their current visuals with realistic weather, flight dynamics and add on AC holy cow what a base platform MSFS "could" be... 

As for more "adult" over here...  I don't think so, most of the people stirring the pot over there seem to come from in here and let's be honest when LM release a new version with bugs and incompatible add-ons the "children" pop out over here as well LOL.   I don't know what "More "core simmers" with long long lasting experiences who are always having a helping hand with very good and working approaches!"  means...  The community in MSFS has been on fire!  The contributions already are pretty incredible and if people are "looking" for help they get it, if they want to throw their toys out of the pram they don't get much sympathy but not sure why you even had to add the entire personal analysis to your post...  Insulting the people "over there" does nothing to "improve" the people over here so let's so stop fanning the flames of divisiveness,  

• Like 3

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I am a long time member of the flightsim community since FS3. I also hold a PPL (SEP single engine piston) since more than 20 years.

In the period from FS3 to FSX I allways did compose and build the PC's myself, eventhough I do not have a hard or software background. I read much about system tweaking In many of the forums, but I did never touch the automatic or nominal settings of the system BIOS. Maybe that's why I did not encouter the disastrous CTD's or incompatibilities that many are reporting. 

My main focus in flightsimulation is on flying and realisme, as I also used the sim for preparing my real world flights if I was going to visit an airport I never landed at before. To check the most realistic flight models I also tested XP11, but found based on my real world experience that FSX/P3D was more realistic.

In addition to planes from PMDG, A2A, Majestic etc also lots of $$$'s were invested in ORBX, Flightbeam, Fly Tampa, LVFR, Aerosoft, Megascenerey etc. I am very pleased at the moment with the stability and looks of P3Dv5 with EA ON and Skyforce 3D. So for me there is NO need to switch to MSFS. LM did a fantastic job to further develop FSX to where we currently are with P3Dv5 and I trust that more good will come.

So in conclusion, I am not tempted to test MSFS but will continue to enjoy the realisme, the planes and beautiful world in P2Dv5. 

• Like 3

• Fantastic line-up of high-fidelity airliners and overall mature addon market.
  • Great GUI
  • Ability to tweak it to your liking. I don't think any V5 installation on this forum is the same

DISLIKE

• Airports with flat runways is still an immersion killer
  • You need to spend extra cash in order to get believable scenery, weather and textures
    •  Even if you do, many areas are inferior to MSFS out of the box. Which can be extremely disappointing

I re-created a recent VFR cross country I did using both sims. One of the smaller un-controlled fields was laughably wrong in V5, but pretty convincing in MSFS (even the terrain descriptions in the VAC was there in MSFS)

So yes I may lose my A2A PA28 (which is soo close compared to the real plane) and my RXP GNS430, but I use MSFS everytime I want to fly VFR on my PC.

V5:
lNEFx3U.jpg

MSFS:
w5Gua9n.jpg

• Like 2

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

38 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

• Fantastic line-up of high-fidelity airliners and overall mature addon market.
  • Great GUI
  • Ability to tweak it to your liking. I don't think any V5 installation on this forum is the same

DISLIKE

• You need to spend extra cash in order to get believable scenery, weather and textures
    •  Even if you do, many areas are inferior to MSFS out of the box. Which can be extremely disappointing

I re-created a recent VFR cross country I did using both sims. One of the smaller un-controlled fields was laughably wrong in V5, but pretty convincing in MSFS (even the terrain descriptions in the VAC was there in MSFS)

So yes I may lose my A2A PA28 (which is soo close compared to the real plane) and my RXP GNS430, but I use MSFS everytime I want to fly VFR on my PC.

V5:
lNEFx3U.jpg

MSFS:
w5Gua9n.jpg

If you could give me the coordinates I will make a screenshot with P3Dv5 + PR scenery, as you are comparing LC scenery from P3D with PR scenery from MSFS.

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

4 hours ago, mpo910 said:

My approach of this topic is a positive one! I would like to keep it this way please. I will try to stay objective as much as possible and I would like to ask you to do also so. 😉

Since a few weeks I do observate that a lot of simmers are "coming back" to P3D. If it is V4 or V5 does not matter in this thread.

The most of "us" come back from trying MSFS, At least I do assume. Some others never "left the building".

I had my reasons for coming back. I also did try MSFS for a while. But already after 2 weeks of "trying" I did decide to "go back to P3D".

What I like about P3D:

• A very stable plattofrm (at least in my case. This could be different in "your" case)
  • Lot´s of addons
  • Great ground handling wich raises the immersion
  • High Profs. Airplane Addons with good system depth (FSLabs, PMDG, etc. Even Aerosoft beats MSFS at this moment)
  • With EA at Beta a "promissing" visual approach in short/mid term
  • For me a big reasons is a good performing VR
  • Outstanding overall performance since V4.5HF2 and even better with V5

These are the main reasons I came back. 

What I also realised is the "behaviour" of some simmers here in the P3D section of AVSIM. It seems to me (SUBJETIVE) that it is more "adult" overhere! More "core simmers" with long long lasting experiences who are always having a helping hand with very good and working approaches!

Now....what about you? Why are you back? Or why did you never leave?

Very curious about your feedback 

Yep...totally agree, nobody needs to bash and bruise anything, or anybody.  Whether you fly this, that, or the barn door....its a totally mute point.  I came back, as I feel MSFS is in Alpha stage right now.  Done statement.  I'll revisit it in about 6 months, to allow for a number of patches and code tweaks/additions by Asobo.  Good enough...

So...I am excited to read that v5.1 will be coming down the Pike...and that will give me the kick in the pants, to upgrade my GPU to a 3080 20GB, or the new ATI 6900 series.  I'm hoping for two major things...the first...no chance to hit the vRAM kick to the Desktop limit,  by better vRAM  DX12 management, and an out-of-Beta (in the Dev's view!) TrueSky application.  I have been flying many P3D v5.x flights with it on...and yesterday, I had some pretty wonderful cloudscapes and atmospherics that I thought I was back in MSFS. So...even more excited thinking of what it will look like out of Beta. That's about it, for me...

Edited by Sesquashtoo

13 minutes ago, GSalden said:

If you could give me the coordinates I will make a screenshot with P3Dv5 + PR scenery, as you are comparing LC scenery from P3D with PR scenery from MSFS.

N592940E0142941

Convince me.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Oh lookie..... 8 post in and already a P3D vs FS2020 debate starting........

In before the lock................

Back on Topic.....   "Back to P3D V4.5 / V5 - What I do/do you like about it?"

What i like....   Every time i launch it, It works!

Edited by Ed_S_Pilot
  • Like 4

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

1 hour ago, SAS443 said:

DISLIKE

P3d5 has sloped runways.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I didn't really leave, but I'm taking a pause from the other sim because P3D gives me:

• A sensation of flight (admittedly with a few payware add-ons needed) that I find realistic.

• PMDG, Majestic, A2A payware aircraft in my virtual hangar that have unsurpassed levels of detail.

• A back catalogue of scenery add-ons (freeware and payware) that a lot of games can only dream of having.

• Camera functions that I can use without thinking.

• A number of freeware tools that sort my scenery library (Lorby P4AO), gives me AI traffic (AIG for aircraft and Henrik Nielsen for shipping), makes my aircraft's VC lighting pop (FSL spotlights) and gives me jetways (SODE) that align perfectly to my airliner and all the AI airliners at the airport.

• Granularity of the settings - control over what is loaded, how much of it is displayed and to what level of detail, for every item shown in the sim.

• GSX ground handling that works nearly 100% (for me).

• My GPU fans don't sound like a real world GPU when the sim is running.
    (Yes, I know it's about time I upgraded).

I'm hopeful and quietly excited about what MSFS could continue to develop into, but right now, P3D is the sim for me.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

13 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

P3d5 has sloped runways.

Two, maybe three. I can't remember the exact count of default sloped runways. And maybe one or two add-ons that have incorporated that feature, but scenery devs have said it's very difficult to implement because you can't just layer the runway texture on the terrain mesh.