Sign in to follow this  
precog

*** Explore amazing places with Flight Sim Discovery ***

I love flying … have my entire life. But what I really love is exploring this amazing world of ours. As a recreational pilot, having the opportunity to take-off and leave all of the world’s problems behind and go exploring my local area is the highlight of my week. Now, with MSFS, having the ability to authentically explore the entire world is a dream come true.

For the last couple of months, trapped at home due to COVID, I’ve taught myself web development and built myself a web application I call Flight Sim Discovery. I’ve found it really useful, and so I thought I’d share it and give back to the community that has given me so much over the last couple of decades.

So, if you love flying, and really love exploring this amazing planet of ours, then check out Flight Sim Discovery. Flight Sim Discovery is a free, community-based web application that allows you to find places to visit and explore in the world of flight simulation. From the most scenic airports in the world and bush strips, to mind-blowing geological landscapes and towering volcanoes, there are currently over 1500 places to explore and growing - including MSFS photogrammetry cities and POIs.

If you’re intrigued, check out the intro video I made, or the visit the website directly and start exploring:

Intro video (~3 min): https://youtu.be/ubROPYjHJhU

Websitehttps://www.flightsimdiscovery.com

About Flight Sim Discovery

Flight Sim Discovery is easy to use. Browse the map, or search for points of interest (POIs) based on category, region, country and rating. Create a flight plan by adding one or more points of interest and export to your computer. Start-up Microsoft Flight simulation, load up the flight plan and away you go!

If you like, you can also create an account which allows you to create your own POI's to keep private or share with the community. Click 'Create POI' in the menu or 'right-click' on the map. With an account, you can also like, rate, 'mark as visited' any other community POI.

Have fun exploring this amazing planet of ours!

Richard, flying out of Australia

• Like 31
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, Just made a visit to website and added Kenton Oklahoma as a point of interest. Highest point in OK. is just North of there. It worked. Nice Idea! 

Edited by jimcarrel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

cool idea - one issue with the world at your fingertips is deciding where to fly!

• Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

3 hours ago, jimcarrel said:

Thanks, Just made a visit to website and added Kenton Oklahoma as a point of interest. Highest point in OK. is just North of there. It worked. Nice Idea! 

Is that in the Quartz mountains north of Altus?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Very well done, thanks for your contribution to the community.

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

One of the weirdest is that guitar shaped forest in South America. I wonder who thought it a good idea to prune a forest to look like a guitar from the air? For what purpose?

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Outstanding!!! I will use it quite a bit when I am not sure where I want to fly. Great idea, and very well done. Thank you so much.

Edited by monica6211
  • Upvote 1

Mega idea...thank you so much!! 

Regards

Paul EGCC

Smart and so useful, thank you very much Richard!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Fantastic, thank you very much.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

This is really impressive and will definitely give me some new targets for my VFR exploration flights.   Mind if I ask what data source(s) you used for your initial POI?