Sign in to follow this  
767lover

New night lighting has grown on me

The amount of lights on in buildings actually depends on the time of day in the sim.

Like you’ll see a lot less lights on in buildings at midnight than right after sundown.

Edited by Tuskin38

21 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

The amount of lights on in buildings actually depends on the time of day in the sim.

Like you’ll see a lot less lights on in buildings at midnight than right after sundown.

Disney World is dark as soon as the sun goes down so I don't believe this is the case.  I'm taking another look now.

• Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Night lighting was good at first but is HORRIBLY FAKE now with mile after mile of country roads with equally spaced lights repeated with high precision, always a precise distance apart and of the exactly the same luminosity, with no houses for miles and miles to warrant street lighting, and no cars on them

Edited by peppy197
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

O.k. not sure what your smoking but I want some.  There is no way time of day is affecting lights on buildings...  After taking another look and flying close to the deck in the cities what really needs to happen is those main street lights corrected especially away from the city.  That would go along way in making the night look better.  Not sure why we have floating lights now but that's another thing that needs addressing.

• Like 1

FS2020 

15 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

Hmm. Odd. I’ve been flying in the US for some time now but I am not having airport lights on during the day...?

Interesting... Runway/Taxiway lights are always on during the daytime in my sim after the last patch or should I say the patch before that that messed up the night lighting.

FS2020 

From all I've seen, they should take the night lighting back to the settings for Beta 2.  The release state was  even far better than current.

These moves in generally degrading the visuals  (think clouds and LOD distance) while taking control of these items away  from the users are not   helpful and rather counter-productive.  I think  this all for XBOX console performance at the peril  for  PC users.  

Make the sim as high-end and optimized as possible, and  let US downgrade the visuals as required   per system.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

Interesting... Runway/Taxiway lights are always on during the daytime in my sim after the last patch or should I say the patch before that that messed up the night lighting.

The airport lights (runway + taxiway) have always been on during daytime since the sim was launched, but the update that messed up the night lights also increased the airport lights size / intensity and now they can be seen from 15+ nm in a clear sunny day, which is highly unrealistic.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

O.k. not sure what your smoking but I want some.  There is no way time of day is affecting lights on buildings...  After taking another look and flying close to the deck in the cities what really needs to happen is those main street lights corrected especially away from the city.  That would go along way in making the night look better.  Not sure why we have floating lights now but that's another thing that needs addressing.

It is true, the downtown building lights do fluctuate depending on time of the night - more lights earlier evening, less toward midnight /very early AM. Try it, go to near downtown buildings, pause, then change the time of day slider to later at night and watch the building lights slowly dwindle away! This is only in non-photogrammetry though - and it is very realistic, or at least makes sense. This is one of the many cool details Asobo included to add immersion.

Now, if Asobo can only fix the rest of the night lighting problems!

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 6:33 PM, FlyAndFight said:

Agree with Dillon.  I did a quick flight into Boca Raton from Miami last night and found the street lights WAY too bright and as I crossed over I-95 (interstate/highway) heading towards the runway thresh hold, floating street lamp lights were all over the place.  

Unfortunately, the too bright street lights and floating lights aren't the only issues, as has been posted by many already.  Those lights in rural roads are not only incorrectly placed but overpowering as well.

The night lighting is the #1 issue that I have with MSFS.  I would love if Asobo would provide an option to allow the user to brighten the lighting themselves, to taste.  Perhaps asking for too much, but that would allow everyone to tweak to their personal preference.

I live on the 17th floor of a high-rise in Western Fort Lauderdale and can see the lights well from 170ft plus...  From the Sawgrass all the way to the downtown Fort Lauderdale area.  Most (if not all) the streetlights and highway lights are orange/yellow and not the ridiculous LED bright white seen in sim now!

Chris Camp

The worst part by far is roads in the wilderness and countryside being fully lit. Garbage. It’s hard to imagine how someone thought that was good. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They could help things by reducing the size of the lightballs a little or giving them more lod.

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I've stopped playing MSFS due to the night lighting. I really hope that this issue gets acknowledged in their next Q&A session and that we will see an update for it soon. Really hate the X-Plane pac man board look of these night lights.

Edited by captain420
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 hours ago, scotchegg said:

They could help things by reducing the size of the lightballs a little or giving them more lod.

The could reduce the volume of them as well on the main roads.  Every few steps there's a light pole on the main roads. They've packed so many together it's insane.

• Like 1

FS2020