Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Mathijs Kok’s vision on Fs ( also on P3D )

Let’s call a spade ♠️ 

now that we got what we wanted for a long time we realize it’s not exactly what we all wished for,

12 hours ago, Chapstick said:

just look at FSDT, which is pulling out of P3D sceneries entirely

we are working on a fairly substantial update for our largest P3D airport, right now. Which will be free.

I’m studying the new Html5 rendering that has been added with 5.1, which should be able to replace DirectX for GSX and other scneries that use Rtt.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, virtuali said:

we are working on a fairly substantial update for our largest P3D airport, right now. Which will be free.

I’m studying the new Html5 rendering that has been added with 5.1, which should be able to replace DirectX for GSX and other scneries that use Rtt.

Very cool.  Can you tell me what is the largest P3D airport for you guys .  I thought it was CYVR...

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

15 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Can you tell me what is the largest P3D airport for you guys .

If you mean by size/workload involved/achievement, it's clearly KORD V2, which is a native P3D scenery that tries to use the sim specific SDK to above and beyond what everybody else ever did, on any platform. That's what I was referring to.

If you mean by sales, it's a bit difficult to compare products that has been out for 10 years across multiple platforms, with something that came out last year and runs only on P3D4/5 so no, KORD V2 is not our best selling airport, but it's unfair to compare it with others like KLAX or KJFK, that had years to accumulate larger sales.

38 minutes ago, virtuali said:

If you mean by size/workload involved/achievement, it's clearly KORD V2, which is a native P3D scenery that tries to use the sim specific SDK to above and beyond what everybody else ever did, on any platform. That's what I was referring to.

If you mean by sales, it's a bit difficult to compare products that has been out for 10 years across multiple platforms, with something that came out last year and runs only on P3D4/5 so no, KORD V2 is not our best selling airport, but it's unfair to compare it with others like KLAX or KJFK, that had years to accumulate larger sales.

Why not adding new features and improvements on existing P3D products so they make use of the latest possibilities and then sell them at a normal price ?

That means cash and then it may be interested to release addons for P3Dv5+ too.

Continuous free updates takes time without earning anything ....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Why not adding new features and improvements on existing P3D products so they make use of the latest possibilities and then sell them at a normal price ?

In some certain cases adding new features to a scenery means remaking it. Case in point: KORD V2, someone might say "no big deal, they updated the runways and add PBR". Well, it took 2 years...and only about 1 in 5 users of the old version decided to pay for the update.

24 minutes ago, virtuali said:

In some certain cases adding new features to a scenery means remaking it. Case in point: KORD V2, someone might say "no big deal, they updated the runways and add PBR". Well, it took 2 years...and only about 1 in 5 users of the old version decided to pay for the update.

LM does it every 2 years.

So imho updating an addon for a new main sim version may come at a cost.

And adding new features too. AS did it for years with the German Airports series.

Otherwise addon developers destroy there own company by working for nothing.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

13 minutes ago, GSalden said:

LM does it every 2 years.

So imho updating an addon for a new main sim version may come at a cost.

You still don't seem to get it, yet I think my example was quite clear:

- Only a small fraction of users that bought O'Hare since 2011 decided to update to a VASTLY improved version, not just to "add new features", but it was a complete rebuild from the ground up, and this happened 8 years after the original release. And you are trying to suggest we should release paid updated EACH time a new version of the sim comes out ?

Are saying we should *charge* for a KORD V5 update, because textures don't look *exactly* as they looked in P3D V4, since the rendering is a bit different, so we could slap a "P3DV5-native" badge on it ?

13 minutes ago, GSalden said:

And adding new features too. AS did it for years with the German Airports series.

And see how well it went for them, in relationship to their commitment to the sim: please remind me again: what was this thread about ?

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, virtuali said:

- Only a small fraction of users that bought O'Hare since 2011 decided to update to a VASTLY improved version, not just to "add new features", but it was a complete rebuild from the ground up, and this happened 8 years after the original release. And you are trying to suggest we should release paid updated EACH time a new version of the sim comes out ?

Are saying we should *charge* for a KORD V5 update, because textures don't look *exactly* as they looked in P3D V4, since the rendering is a bit different, so we could slap a "P3DV5-native" badge on it ?

And see how well it went for them, in relationship to their commitment to the sim: please remind me again: what was this thread about ?

I made my point....

39 minutes ago, virtuali said:

Just to be sure I did understand you correctly

Even if you do a existing airport complete over again incl lots of new features and visual enhancements 8 years after initial release for example, only 20% of the existing user do update (with fee)?

Ouch....if that´s the case that hurts. Lots of hours of work and 20% income compared to initial release after so much years is bad for business. Imagine what happens after shorter time with less enhancements....less user will probably update.

Did I understood it correctly? If yes, I feel really sorry for you guys working hard and not getting earn for it.

I am "1" of the "5" but that does not seem to matter....

Marcus

• Upvote 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

@ Virtuali

Just read your post at the MSFS forum. You want MSFS even more to succeed than Mathijs Kok...

Take of your pink glasses please.

@virtualiI bought both versions of your ord. But I suspect low sales for you were due to the fact the update came late and after many moved on to a competitors product. May not be as nice as yours but good enough and updated to current day airfield configuration.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

The moral of this story? Create an airport that has not been done yet. I am sure that the AVSIM membership could list hundreds. My example would be EINN Shannon. I have been waiting for a decent version of that airport for a decade.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

@virtuali I love your airports.  I do have KORD v2 and boy it is awesome.  I do not understand why people haven't upgraded to the latest version (they all are missing out).  I would suggest removing the v1 from sales for new customers that way only option is v2.  The  V1 download is there for existing customers.

When you said largest airport, I was just thinking about physical size of the airport.  KORD v2 is one of my favorite airports in the sim.

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)