Sign in to follow this  
Steku

Not so much impressed by Reverb G2 - blurry image

Higher Rendering setting in MSFS will improve sharpness in the game. Depending on your PC power, set game rendering to 100% and then adjust openXR render scale to whatever settings will give you the best performance. Also, for a sweet spot, don't just go by DPI, just move lenses apart, while wearing headset, until it's sharp enough.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:02 AM, dilore said:

I too am still disapointed about the small Sweet Spot. 

I could increase it a bit though by pushing the back strip down onto my neck, and moving the upper edge of the headset to my eyebrows.

After replacing the gasket with an Occulus one the Sweet Spot is quite acceptable.

All in P3D. 

Edited by dilore

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

On 1/20/2021 at 8:27 AM, dilore said:

After replacing the gasket with an Occulus one the Sweet Spot is quite acceptable.

All in P3D. 

Edit: Odyssey Plus, not Occulus.

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

On 1/24/2021 at 10:54 AM, dilore said:

Edit: Odyssey Plus, not Occulus.

Where would one acquire one of these?  I'm quite sure dedicated G2 accessories are literally right around the corner, but I've found if I mash it towards my face as much as I can, the "sweet spot" enlarges to the point that non-"sweet spot" areas become imperceptible, so I think a new gasket(?) might be just what the doctor ordered, but they don't seem to exist quite yet, so I'm interested in workarounds or hacks until they are.  (Or maybe as a permanent solution if they work just as well as whatever dedicated solutions that may come out soon do.)

Just to add:  I have acquired a pair of prescription lenses - VR Optician - Prescription Glasses for Virtual Reality Headsets and it helps a good bit.  It turns out, oddly, that you need lenses that relate to your distance vision, not your close up vision.  It has made my G2 a good bit nicer.  And practice has meant that I no longer see a sweet spot so much.  

Paul Skol

Even though the G2's razor sharp area seems quite small, I don't think I could go back to another headset.

We've just received some Quest 2 headsets through my work and I managed to have a better play around with them this time. The few I tried were all identical as you'd expect. Although at first it looks like the sharp area is large, even over oculus link at higher refresh, 1.5pp and 300mb/s, I couldn't read the smaller characters on electronic cockpit gauges when sitting back in the seat. It doesn't look totally sharp no matter how I position the headsets or where I look. It made me realise just how impressively sharp the G2 is in the middle.

Edited by dogmanbird
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul_Yorks said:

Just to add:  I have acquired a pair of prescription lenses - VR Optician - Prescription Glasses for Virtual Reality Headsets and it helps a good bit.  It turns out, oddly, that you need lenses that relate to your distance vision, not your close up vision.  It has made my G2 a good bit nicer.  And practice has meant that I no longer see a sweet spot so much.  

Let me add to Paul's praise for VR Optician, I received my prescription lenses a few days ago and they've made a big difference for me. I suffer from quite a bit of astigmatism, but now it's a completely different experience.
I was also a bit curious as to why one needed to indicate the numbers for my distance vision, but it worked out fine.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

I didn't notice this problem with the G2, maybe I had a lucky one but the sweet spot looked to be even more forgiving than the Quest 2.
What made me go back to the quest 2 was:

1: I received a unit without controllers inside the box, error? Amazon listing didn't mention the absence of controllers, price was in line with a full bundle, don't know.
2: The heat that it shoots directly into the eyes, how did just ONE reviewer on youtube noticed this? I thought, being just one guy, that he was exaggerating, no, it's unbearable after an hour or so, and it's winter now, there were around 19 degrees Celsius in my room. I don't want to know what it is like to have that thing on your face in the summer.
3: Graphics at 100% resolution were very close to the Q2, still can't read the small stuff, still can't compare with even a 1080p monitor, I said whatever, we're still 4-5 years away from proper VRHD, it will be 2026 Emaracing's problem.  

Edited by EmaRacing

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

After trying a G2 recently, I decided that, for me, this still needs another hardware generation.

I truly love the VR immersion -- but once I get beyond that (a few days of doing it), I start to get frustrated at the resolution and sweet spot limitations.

Some type of in headset eye tracking to focus the sweet spot where you're looking would be killer

• Like 2

Hi,

You might want to also read this post first, then the OP and the discussion:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/psa-reverb-g2-small-sweet-spots-observations-and-solutions/343611/115?u=cptlucky8

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 2/21/2021 at 11:34 PM, irrics said:

After trying a G2 recently, I decided that, for me, this still needs another hardware generation.

I truly love the VR immersion -- but once I get beyond that (a few days of doing it), I start to get frustrated at the resolution and sweet spot limitations.

Some type of in headset eye tracking to focus the sweet spot where you're looking would be killer

Completely agree with this, I sent back my G2 because for the moment, the quest 2 is more usable, and also cheaper, it also came with controllers, and no heat-to-the-eyes projector.
Really nobody else noticed the eye-cooking heat of the g2?

GarbagePoster

3 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

Really nobody else noticed the eye-cooking heat of the g2?

I have, but I was so lost in the immersion, and it was a sunny day, I actually had that feeling of heat from the sun cooling down on my face. It was super weird to feel, normally I only feel that when aboard an aircraft. It was caused the heat of the headset, mixed with the virtual reality of msfs 

8 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I have, but I was so lost in the immersion, and it was a sunny day, I actually had that feeling of heat from the sun cooling down on my face. It was super weird to feel, normally I only feel that when aboard an aircraft. It was caused the heat of the headset, mixed with the virtual reality of msfs 

I remember thinking that too when I flew towards the sun!😂

• Like 1

GarbagePoster

On 12/24/2020 at 3:00 AM, nyfirefly11 said:

I was disappointed too with the G2 and the 3080...the immersion is incredible, but the graphics (especially looking out the window) are mediocre.

Plus there’s the motion sickness 🙃

Using the same logic - the <monitor> graphics are amazing, but the immersion is mediocre.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home