Sign in to follow this  
RichieFly

A Christmas tale about my RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra

3 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Black lips. Yeah, I'm thinking this is a small portion of cards

So your card has the black lip detail on the end of the card?

I ask because the early cards all had red. The newer cards, the new revision, all have black lips.

If yours is red, that would suggest an early version before the revision. And hopefully as my card is a new revision it may not suffer the issue.

6 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Black lips. Yeah, I'm thinking this is a small portion of cards.

Update from EVGA: they're providing a free EAR use. Nice of them. The rep said since it happened so soon after getting the card they'd do this. Quite a nice gesture. This is why I always buy from these guys.

What is a free EAR use?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Its EVGA' premium service. I think it pays all shipping. Also they ship a replacement product to you first, before you send yours back. 

After using MSFS w/ an RTX 2070 Super I have to think the 3090 is just way more VRAM than is required and I predict that will stand after the DX-12 port as well.   Yes I'm sure you can ramp up scaling until it too gets close to saturated but from what I see that maneuver offers very little in the way of improved visuals for its cost.  I'm clearly GPU limited but quite frankly not by all that much and often it's just a case of dialing back volumetric clouds and reflections to High from Ultra and we're otherwise on Ultra in the other sliders.  My guess is a 12Gb card would be plenty.  I was/have been tempted to go 3090 but it just doesn't seem to be matched for this particular job, MSFS that is.  I do look forward to not having to stop the sim and change those sliders but it will need to be something other than a 3090 to get that job solved.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I agree with you Noel. I was in the lucky position, after a property sale, to be able to buy the best CPU and best GPU. Doesn't happen very often for me, so decided to make the most of it. From an enthusiasts perspective rather than from a requirement perspective. 

That was my tact last time thru you may recall when I bought the then high-end GTX Titan to pair w/ a 3930K.  It performed flawlessly for over 6y and now is retired from rigorous duty and runs the lovely Garritan CFX Yamaha piano VST :smile:

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

For what it's worth I've been running this model for a while now without issues.

Used the scan feature in EVGA Precision X1 app to find a stable overclock.  Card runs great with +109 MHz GPU and +200 MHz memory offsets.  Honestly not sure if overclock has any perceptible effect on in-games performance.  The card does OK at stock speeds, just letting others know it is possible to bump stock speeds on this card.  

Fans never need to ramp up to higher-range speeds to keep temps down.  The only time I got to hear fans at 100% is by setting them manually.  At max they are really loud!  In normal use it's either dead silent or barely audible.  Good to know there's headroom in cooling.

System is on 1300W PSU after a brief adventure where I hoped 650W would be enough - it wasn't.

The PSU is major overkill, but I got it for the same reason I bought the 3090 - no stock of more common sense parts.

Hope not to come back to this thread to report a dead GPU.  So far, so good.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for letting us know. Will be a while before I build so hopefully when I do all will be well.

Interesting that there's now an auto overclock feature. Although I guess that is pretty much what GPU Boost 2 does. 

I just received the same card. Only had it a few days, all I can say for now is what a beast. Try to get some direct comparisons soon. No working from home for me as I work in a clean room, and we are always busy. Fingers crossed I don't have any problems with it, as it was hard enough finding one the first time.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

8 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

I just received the same card. Only had it a few days, all I can say for now is what a beast. Try to get some direct comparisons soon. No working from home for me as I work in a clean room, and we are always busy. Fingers crossed I don't have any problems with it, as it was hard enough finding one the first time.

We should start a 3090 FTW 3 CLUB. 😆 

Black or red lips?

are you guys using the experimental features check box in nvidia experience?  I am not, but just noticed the box with the newest driver today so it had me curious.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

14 hours ago, martin-w said:

Black or red lips?

Like that idea.

I've got mine coming in a about 3 weeks also from Scan as part of a new build

Pete Little

3 hours ago, mazelda said:

Like that idea.

I've got mine coming in a about 3 weeks also from Scan as part of a new build

Which CPU did you go for? List all your parts if you like, would be interesting to see how it compares to mine. 

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Which CPU did you go for? List all your parts if you like, would be interesting to see how it compares to mine. 

So its a 5950x with a 3090 gpu the evga ftw3 ultra, on a crossfire hero wifi mobo , z73 aio for cpu, 32gb ram 4x8gb sticks at 3600mhz cas 16, a 1200w psu, a 2tb m.2 nvme 

Way over the top, but not planning on doing any upgrades for a few years.

Have dealt with Scan in the past, and for me they have always been pretty good.

So if the card packs up they will replace it .

Although i hope it will not,  as my current card is a 980ti

Edited by mazelda

Pete Little

23 hours ago, martin-w said:

Black or red lips?

Haha yeah great idea Martin all 5 of us in the WORLD that own a RTX3090. So crazy, I'm so lucky to have got one.

Mine has the Black luckily as I hated the red look. Not to mention my build is all Black. Saves me from having to paint it.

I will note however when I installed EVGA Precision it automatically updated the cards firmware. As I installed precision right away to change the lighting I cannot say weather this change made any difference to the cards performance either way.  

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+