Sign in to follow this  
13ifs40

Which to get v5 or v4

Hello all and happy holidays     

I am about to finally upgrade from fsx and i was wondering which prepare 3d to get        Version 4 or version 5?

what i want is default airports with gates like i have in fsx       and i am only going to buy PMDG 737, Qualitywings 787, active sky and GSX

I have got a new cyberpower gamer xfinity xlc for christmas      so performance should be no problem

Thanks all in advance for your help and advice

13ifs40

v5.    All the way.

For what you want to run, there's no reason to look back towards v4.

• Like 3

Yes V5, I truely wasn’t expecting it to be such a upgrade from V4.5

The qualitywings 787 HUD is much smoother in V5 too

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

V5 without a doubt.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Another vote for v5. The performance and graphical fidelity are unparalleled with any previous release. it's also a very stable platform for me in its current incarnation, provided you stay within the limits that your hardware can handle. Definitely I think this is a huge step up from v4! Clearly some aspects need work and refinement, but I think it'd be a mistake to go with v4 because of that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

V5.1 HF1 all the way. I've never been so impressed with any simulator, ever. I started way back in 2004 with FS9.

• Like 1

Version 5. I waited to make to switch from P3D v4 until P3D 5.1 was released, but then I was sorry that I didn't switch earlier. Version 5 has accurate shorelines, streets, and rivers, i.e., everything that ORBX Vector provides for version 4. It also has a very good elevation mesh, so that mountains look much more real. It also has sloped runways and updated default airports.

I would recommend to also invest in ORBX landclass products (Europe, North and South America, Australia,  Africa), then the sim looks almost real.

Peter

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

Another vote for v5. The performance and graphical fidelity are unparalleled with any previous release. it's also a very stable platform for me in its current incarnation, provided you stay within the limits that your hardware can handle. Definitely I think this is a huge step up from v4! Clearly some aspects need work and refinement, but I think it'd be a mistake to go with v4 because of that.

If by "Graphical fidelity" you mean that the world just looks 'more 3D', I'll agree with you 1000%.

I'm not sure why, but v5.1 in particular makes it feel more like a 3D world than any version prior. Rolling down the taxiway now feels like I am actually moving through the airport instead of just seeing what it would look like if I were rolling through the airport. Does that make sense? Must be the lighting, but I think all of the 3D models look better, Even some of the older scenery that I have looks better than it ever did which tells me that the developers made a better scenery than I thought they had. The older sims just weren't displaying it in it's true form.  

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

19 hours ago, 13ifs40 said:

I am about to finally upgrade from fsx and i was wondering which prepare 3d to get        Version 4 or version 5?

If you're above all minimum requirements, go with v5. My laptop is not, so I decided to settle with v4. I didn't fancy endless tweaking sessions trying to compensate for my weak GPU.

With V4 I felt this was what FSX should have been. I don't regret having gone to v4 instead of v5. So, with either v4 or v5 you'll see an upgrade anyway.

20 hours ago, 13ifs40 said:

I have got a new cyberpower gamer xfinity xlc for christmas      so performance should be no problem

Oops, I had missed this part. Go with v5!

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

4 hours ago, MDFlier said:

If by "Graphical fidelity" you mean that the world just looks 'more 3D', I'll agree with you 1000%.

I'm not sure why, but v5.1 in particular makes it feel more like a 3D world than any version prior. Rolling down the taxiway now feels like I am actually moving through the airport instead of just seeing what it would look like if I were rolling through the airport. Does that make sense? Must be the lighting, but I think all of the 3D models look better, Even some of the older scenery that I have looks better than it ever did which tells me that the developers made a better scenery than I thought they had. The older sims just weren't displaying it in it's true form.  

I think I know what you mean, and I think the lighting is 100% the reason for this. I happened to compare these two screenshots, kind of by accident as I was looking in the wrong folder, but happened to see these shots that happened to be taken in the same area.

Here you see me flying over Osaka in v4 and v5, using TechnoBrain's RJOO and SamScene's Osaka city. I will add that in v4 I'm using v2 of Osaka city and in v5 the v3 of Osaka City, recompiled for use in v5. Also, in v4 the conditions were more cloudy than in v5, which is why v5 has a sunnier appearance. However, I don't think that's the reason that the difference is night and day:

P3Dv4:

2020-4-14_15-38-5-225.thumb.jpg.3870760052449a44ee40ab6fb7900456.jpg

P3Dv5:

2020-12-31_9-23-27-901.thumb.jpg.e8c671db4d7fd056b007232648a40dd4.jpg

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Hello and wishing you a happy new year to all

thanks  for your input       V5 it will be

13ifs40

• Upvote 2

Good choice. Every version of Prepar3d is terrible, but V5 is slightly less so in some areas.

25 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Every version of Prepar3d is terrible...

Where did that come from???  Too much eggnog? 😉

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert