Sign in to follow this  
ndoug

UK2000 stops X-Plane development, sees MSFS as the future

Reported elsewhere no more XP11 development from UK2000. If correct another nail in the XP11 coffin?

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS DDR4 ATX Motherboard, 8GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, 32GB (2x16GB) Adata XPG Gammix D10 DDR4 3200MHz, GameMax Iceberg RGB Watercooler - 240mm,  1TB M.2 PCI-E NVMe Solid State Drive, 2TB SSD, 1TB HDD.

Nah, less competition for those that want to continue on X-Plane 🤪

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't read too much in it, the developer explained why he prefers to focus on P3D/MSFS for the reason that sceneries can be ported fairly easily across the two platforms. 

We know that many of our customers may be unhappy with this decision, but there is simply not enough time in the day to develop for 3 simulators (P3D, XP11 & MSFS), when UK2000 has only 1 developer. Who have there own real life commitments and family to focus on.
We faced many issues developing for XP11, as the simulator itself was like nothing we have developed for before; P3D & MSFS all have the same backend infrastructure. MSFS promises to be the next major simulator, obviously it is not at this stage yet, but we feel it will be in the near future.

4 hours ago, UKflyer said:

just hope orbx don't go the same way

Orbx has an expansive team and has be planning for this. So I don't them going away anytime soon.

13 hours ago, UKflyer said:

just hope orbx don't go the same way

Orbx will continue to develop for both P3D and X-Plane (Statement from CEO here https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/204034-happy-new-year-and-update/)

I guess it's really simple... if people keep buying products for these sims in sufficient numbers to make a profit, developers will continue to put them out. Those that are left when XP12 comes out will probably be in for a nice surprise if the sim lives up to its expectations.

I can't talk for UK2000 (I last used their products in FSX years ago), but as stated, P3D/FSX products are easier to port to MFS than from X-Plane. If developers are smart about it, they can make most of their airports sim agnostic by design that makes putting out 3 versions a bit less of a headache. The same can't be said for aircraft.

Whilst it's true there is lots of activity on MFS at the moment, i.e: A booming freeware community and lots of scenery addons (There is not a day goes by now without someone releasing an airport), it's also harder as an independent unknown developer to get noticed amongst the noise and competition. What we're really lacking in MFS are aircraft.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

the spokesperson for the company said that “there is simply not enough time in the day to develop for 4 simulators” and as such felt that time was better spent on Microsoft Flight Simulator, Prepar3D and Flight Simulator X. It was also stated that UK2000 Scenery feels that Microsoft Flight Simulator will be the “next major simulator” and whilst it isn’t there quite yet, it will b in the “near future.” 

https://fselite.net/news/uk2000-scenery-ends-development-for-future-x-plane-airports/

So the trend continues.  It's expected though because MSFS is getting a larger market share of the PC market.  And even more impressive, MSFS will create a totally new market out of thin air when MSFS is released for the XBox (I don't think P3D or XPlane are available on console).  MSFS creating a new market from XBox players reminds me of how the IPad created a new market for tablet users.  Not only will 3rd party developers be getting nice revenue from PC users of MSFS, but they will soon be getting nice revenue from XBox users of MSFS as well.

From a revenue standpoint, it's a no brainer for 3rd party developers to focus on MSFS, since that is where the money is and where the money will be, in the next several years for civilian home flight simulators.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I'm sure there's a trend going in that direction. After all, companies exist to make money.

That being said, there are native XP devs who will stay faithful. Companies that made themselves a name over there. Plus the community.

I think XP will be fine. But it certainly won't be the go-to address for someone looking for a big market. Plus, most popular planes are already released in XP11. They'd need to make them incompatible with XP12. Which will probably happen.

The actual question is: What will happen, once MSFS is on par simulation wise. So probably in a year or so? Will people abandon XP? Will there be a competitive XP12 by the time?

Edited by tweekz
  • Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Maybe, but the prices are going up for some MSFS offerings. They are becoming the same price as P3D addons. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

22 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

Maybe, but the prices are going up for some MSFS offerings. They are becoming the same price as P3D addons. 

Dont buy them . I have stopped purchasing scenery for MSFS2020 until they get a decent AI traffic enhancement . A pretty airport is all well and good but without traffic its dead . 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

MS and asobo should have involved a team like FSlabs in the project from the start. FSlabs knows exactly what the community can expect.

If they had done that, and an FSlabs Airbus was there from the start, nobody would talk about other simulations today. 

The SDK would probably also have become much more extensive. 

It's still a new sim.... give it time.. In the scheme of things, MFS is a baby and developers and Asobo/MS are working together. It will take some time, maybe some time, but we'll get there eventually.

1 hour ago, Jude Bradley said:

Maybe, but the prices are going up for some MSFS offerings

It's becoming harder to stand out on MFS amongst the crowd of developers who want to earn money. Developers of course want to earn their bread, but with more and more increased competiton, they have to charge more to make a profit. A vicious circle perhaps

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tonywob said:

they have to charge more to make a profit. A vicious circle perhaps

I think what some of these developers who take this approach are not getting that charging more without any care for the quality they are producing only goes to damage their brand in the long run. An with such a great simulator by default with a thriving freeware market I think people have grown tired of it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1