Sign in to follow this  
m54randy

GTN 750, bank screens, anti-virus false positive

Thank you for the heads up.

Yes this is a false positive, there has been quite a few during the last couple weeks unfortunately.

Yesterday it didn't trigger any, today's Windows Defender update is, tomorrow it might not.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi,

This seems it is the first time you're writing about a "black screen problem". 

You might want to be more specific but before this, read the other recent posts on this forum about any "black screen" or "virus". Once you do, and if nothing there is solving the issue you're having, please come back in this discussion with the minimum information which you find we're requesting in these "black screen" or "virus" discussions.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Just for extra info...

Windows 10 Pro 20H2,  X-Plane 11

Webroot SecureAnywhere

I ran the latest GTN install exe last night, no issues.

Also ran the latest GNS install exe this morning...no issues

• Like 1

I have X-plane 11 Vulcan. I think I installed the reality GTN update incorrectly. All I get now is a blank screen in all aircrafts and the GTN's will not function. Is there a touch and a non touch version? I use the non-touch version. How do I get back to the installation screen to choose the correct version and the GTN's I want to install in my aircraft? I think there were 2 versions; 692 and 670?

The GTN software is one version and when installed, it works on standard, touch or a combination of..

-----------------------

Please copy and paste contents of your log files so we have an idea what is happening...

GTN Log files  Page 23 of 25 in Reality XP GTN User's Manual (XPlane)
...\My Documents\rxpGTN.xpl.log                                   [plugin log file]
...\My Documents\rxpGtnSim.dll.log                               [GTN sim log file]

Reality XP GTN User's Manual (XPlane).pdf  (from the product installation)
C:\ Program Files (x86)\reality XP\GTN Simulations\X-Plane\

GTN manual pdf

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FBoondoggle said:

Frustrating to have to bypass virus protection for this.

I agree... What is even more frustrating is our binaries are including a specific tag id, based on an anti-virus consortium recommendations...

Time to dump Windows Defender?  You get what you pay for.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Well, so what's the solution here? Just ignore the warning of the trojan? 

There are some real security issues around your operation. 

1. The original installer triggers a virus warning

2. The update triggers a trojan warning

3. The flight1.com website that handles purchases has an unencrypted http login system where passwords are sent back & forth in plaintext.

C'mon fellas, it's 2021, not 1994. This is the sort of thing that raises the hairs on the back of my neck. Like, what am I putting at risk by using your stuff?!?

James - for some reason "false" alerts are only a problem with the reality xp software. I have tons of other software on my computer and none of it has given me as many problems as RXP. Warnings are there for a reason. I don't know any of the people behind this company personally, so I have to take a lot on faith in bypassing security for it.

Further warnings after installation:

https://imgur.com/a/UZqsEYh

It's not complaining about any links on the start menu, it's complaining about the main dll.

1 hour ago, jmdriskell said:

Time to dump Windows Defender?  You get what you pay for.

Sorry but that shows a total lack of understanding of international virus databases, which are shared!  My AV cocktail of Defender and MalwareBytes has been perfect and as a Defender user I did not encounter this issue when it existed.  I may have been an issue of timing between the addition of an international virus signature and the following process of eliminating exceptions.  Please keep unfounded tribal and trash talk out of discussions.  I had similar experiences with both Kaspersky, Norton (back in the day), and McAfee.  In all honesty since 2015 when I adopted Win 10 and Defender I have had only two such instances, and one of the two was exclusively Malware Bytes.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, FBoondoggle said:

James - for some reason "false" alerts are only a problem with the reality xp software.

For you?  What do you know about my experience and the experience of others here?  I have had several such experiences recently at GitHub.  Please note when you get in the habit of using terms such as "only" and "every" you are going to be proven wrong!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 minutes ago, fppilot said:

For you?  What do you know about my experience and the experience of others here?  I have had several such experiences recently at GitHub.

Yes, of course. How would I know of anyone else’s experience with this. Sorry if that wasn’t clear. 

I am using a recent vintage Windows 10 machine with no extra antivirus. The history here for me is (1) virus warning on 1st installation (ignored); (2) virus warning with this latest update (bypassed); (3) black GTN simulator screen in the X-11 sim after the update.