Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

Refresh rates / stutters etc.

10 hours ago, spilok said:

1/2 refresh rate under VSync checked in NCP worked quite well for me on a flight this afternoon.  Seems like a viable option for smoothing out P3dv5.  I'm using a 60hz LG 4K monitor (32"), and I set the sim to UNLIMITED.   I expect to keep trying this setting and hopefully it could prove to be the best solution.  Who knows?  It sure is worth trying since it does NOT affect the mouse movement .

Stan

Stan thats exatly how i and many others have it set, in my case for many years it seems to work very well 

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !

Adding to Noel's advice I would say this. Find your most demanding airport and slew up to 500ft in your favourite aircraft.

Now slew slowly through 360 degrees noting the load on CPU1 and GPU. Any time CPU1 hits 100% that means your settings are too high for the hardware you have. The ideal monitor refresh rate is 30Hz. If your monitor doesn't support that consider using RTSS 1/2 refresh rate feature. Anything higher than 60Hz is doomed to failure.

As for the 2-3 second pause turn off Road Traffic and see if that helps. It's been improved in v5 but maybe not completely.

You should either turn off Ai during this exercise or limit it to a fixed number of aircraft. Keep weather to a fixed settings of maybe 5/8 cumulus.

Finding and eliminating these performance issues requires the patience of Sherlock Holmes but the key thing is to be organised in how you approach it.

Once you have satisfactory performance at a major airport it should be fine elsewhere although heavy weather will undoubtedly have an impact.

Also, be aware that 80nm from an airport will cause multiple Ai to be loaded into the sim. EGLL, KLAX will cause major stutters for a few seconds. That's unavoidable. If you have means of monitoring Ai numbers that will be helpful. A Lua script running on a WideFS PC interrogating the relevant offsets will show the numbers both airborne and on the ground. I'm happy to share mine for those interested.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Adding to Noel's advice I would say this. Find your most demanding airport and slew up to 500ft in your favourite aircraft.

Now slew slowly through 360 degrees noting the load on CPU1 and GPU. Any time CPU1 hits 100% that means your settings are too high for the hardware you have. The ideal monitor refresh rate is 30Hz. If your monitor doesn't support that consider using RTSS 1/2 refresh rate feature. Anything higher than 60Hz is doomed to failure.

As for the 2-3 second pause turn off Road Traffic and see if that helps. It's been improved in v5 but maybe not completely.

You should either turn off Ai during this exercise or limit it to a fixed number of aircraft. Keep weather to a fixed settings of maybe 5/8 cumulus.

Finding and eliminating these performance issues requires the patience of Sherlock Holmes but the key thing is to be organised in how you approach it.

Once you have satisfactory performance at a major airport it should be fine elsewhere although heavy weather will undoubtedly have an impact.

Also, be aware that 80nm from an airport will cause multiple Ai to be loaded into the sim. EGLL, KLAX will cause major stutters for a few seconds. That's unavoidable. If you have means of monitoring Ai numbers that will be helpful. A Lua script running on a WideFS PC interrogating the relevant offsets will show the numbers both airborne and on the ground. I'm happy to share mine for those interested.

Seems a little "detailed", to say the least, Ray.  However, I will certainly try this bit of research.

Stan

1 hour ago, spilok said:

Seems a little "detailed", to say the least, Ray.  However, I will certainly try this bit of research.

Stan

There's no obligation Stan. Once you've done it the results make the effort worthwhile. Pete Dowson uses this method.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Now slew slowly through 360 degrees noting the load on CPU1 and GPU

From which view should I slew? Locked spot, spot or VC?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

1 minute ago, Luis Hernandez said:

From which view should I slew? Locked spot, spot or VC?

External views are better as more of the scenery is shown. Try Locked spot.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Understood. Should this test be with no frame locks at all (either internal, NCP or RTSS) or it doesn't matter?

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

22 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Understood. Should this test be with no frame locks at all (either internal, NCP or RTSS) or it doesn't matter?

It depends on what your monitor is capable of. If it can support 30Hz then use NCP to change to that. Keep frame rate slider in P3D to unlimited and enable Vsync. That will ensure fps goes no higher than 30.

Then adjust scenery complexity to try and maintain 30 during 360° rotation. It may prove impossible depending on CPU/GPU power so aim for minimal time when it drops below 30.

If your monitor cannot run at 30Hz, set it to 60Hz in NCP, same settings as above and use RTSS to set 1/2 refresh rate.

Don't set fps limiter in NCP or RTSS. The monitor refresh rate is the driving force.

Looking at your system spec it may prove very difficult unless scenery sliders are set quite low.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Right now I'm using my laptop display at 60 Hz. However, using RTSS Scanline X/2 pegs Core0 to 100% by default. Either RTSS framerate lock or NCP do not show that behavior (the one useful for testing); so I used either one for tuning my system and then Scanline X/2 for actual flying.

With my display at 60 Hz, it's hard to get a good result as you say, Ray. However, with my display at 50 Hz, it's easier to achieve smoothness and never getting 100% peaks with just 25 FPS using your tuning method. I was shopping for an actual 1080 monitor. I guess I'll need something that can deal with a multiple of 24 or 25. 4K 30 Hz is not an option for me.

Best regards,

On 3/12/2021 at 7:11 AM, Noel said:

Stan, set screen refresh to 30Hz, set frame limit in P3D to UNLIMITED, and turn VSYNC on in P3D--you can also turn on triple buffering if that's till an option in v5.x.  Use all default Global settings in NCP.   There is NO JERKY, no weird mouse lag, nothing but the smoothest flight possible at 30fps, w/ the LEAST amount of work for your CPU & GPU.  The key is setting up P3D and MSFS so you always have some headroom in both CPU & GPU:  ideally, tune settings such that you never see worse than 95% utilization for both, in the most demanding settings.  This method asks your CPU and GPU to only deliver 30fps--because of this you can easily see how much headroom you actually have to work with, which is not the case w/ some other methods.

15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It depends on what your monitor is capable of. If it can support 30Hz then use NCP to change to that. Keep frame rate slider in P3D to unlimited and enable Vsync. That will ensure fps goes no higher than 30.

NCP limited to 30 FPS, VSync unlimited in P3D, monitor set at 60 FPS.

Buttery smooth.
Frames didn't even drop below 26 FPS at CYYZ with EA on, overcast weather and 80 AI aircraft. I've never had an experience that smooth with that level of detail on display in Toronto.

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, Luis Hernandez said:

With my display at 60 Hz, it's hard to get a good result as you say, Ray. However, with my display at 50 Hz, it's easier to achieve smoothness and never getting 100% peaks with just 25 FPS using your tuning method. I was shopping for an actual 1080 monitor. I guess I'll need something that can deal with a multiple of 24 or 25. 4K 30 Hz is not an option for me.

Dropping to 50Hz has clearly relieved the bottleneck. Excellent! :smile: When looking for a suitable monitor go to the manufacturers website for that model and look at Support. You should find the user manual which contains all the supported refesh rates. The better monitors will support 30Hz which makes things simpler. You need a minimum of a 1080Ti for 4K and even then sensible settings are still required.

32 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Buttery smooth.
Frames didn't even drop below 26 FPS at CYYZ with EA on, overcast weather and 80 AI aircraft. I've never had an experience that smooth with that level of detail on display in Toronto.

v5.1 is a very different animal to v4.5. You'll get much better performance. Glad it helped. I've just bought v5.1 and am downloading it now. Several days of setting everything up to follow! :smile:

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

51 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Buttery smooth.

Near as I can tell using the NCP frame rate limit was not the recommendation, but it sounds like you may be getting a comparable result w/ your screen at 60hz, correct?  I've not tried this because I have a 30Hz capable screen, but I wonder if you also get the benefit of being able to see your realtime CPU and GPU demand with this approach, which you do not get using RTSS x/2 approach.   

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

47 minutes ago, Noel said:

Near as I can tell using the NCP frame rate limit was not the recommendation, but it sounds like you may be getting a comparable result w/ your screen at 60hz, correct?  I've not tried this because I have a 30Hz capable screen, but I wonder if you also get the benefit of being able to see your realtime CPU and GPU demand with this approach, which you do not get using RTSS x/2 approach.   

I don't understand your comment about not getting realtime figures.

My RTSS  x/2 shows all those figures.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Hi Ian, I will do a screen capture of what I'm talking about sometime later today.

Sorry the red text is hard to read perhaps.   Notice the main thread shows 100% in the first image using RTSS x/2 60hz.  The 2nd image is straight vsync to 30Hz which shows only 55%.  The third image is back to RTSS x/2, however this time at 30hz, so a frame rate of 15.  The main thread still shows 100%.  Therefore, you can't tell how much head room you have using this method, whereas you do using Vsync to 30Hz.   My assumption is even though it's indicating 100%, there is still the same headroom, or not.   It appears as if the CPU is being asked to crank out maximum frames, then the frame limit comes after that.  The issue is you can't tell until your frame rate starts struggling to maintain 30fps.  That's what I was referring to about real time utilization. RTSS-x2-60hz.png

Vsync-to-30-Hz-only-no-RTSS-x2.png

RTSS-x2-30hz.png

Edited by Noel
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

And it was misleading to call that real time utilization.  What I should have said is w/ RTSS x/2 you can't see how much CPU headroom you have during runtime.

Noel