Sign in to follow this  
zihmer001

A320 FBW - VNAV??

I’m new! I’ve been flying the CJ4 WT a lot and wanted to try my hand at an airliner. After hours of tutorials I’ve made a few short hops (KPIT>KBWI). 

First - does this plane do a VNAV type descent where it will drop to the next altitude on the flight plan? I’m in managed altitude but it keeps going to what altitude is manually set to. 

Second - can I change the speed / altitude on the flight plan? I can do it on the Pro Line of the CJ4 but cannot for the life of me figure how to do this on the A320. 

any help is greatly appreciated!

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

2 hours ago, zihmer001 said:

First - does this plane do a VNAV type descent where it will drop to the next altitude on the flight plan?

Not yet to my knowledge.  The FBW guys are working on their own AP logic but so far the MS default AP does not allow VNAV. Not sure though whether VNAV is available already in the experimental version

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

it wouldn't surprise me if we see the 'doughnut' in the FBW A320, just like the CJ4, at some point. Only then will I feel confident to fly the A320 under VATSIM control.

• Like 1

Petraeus

From what I remember FBW team is speaking with WT CJ4 team to integrate VNAV, no date about when it will be available.

To really enjoy the sim I am really expecting this and SID/STAR on Littlenavmap

Edit : that what you can find on their discord server

ToD Calculator added to EFB! (keep in mind a proper vertical navigation system with correct pseudo-waypoints is on the way!)

Edited by bendead
  • Like 1

Another thing I hope they can sort out is the strange and sometimes unpredictable behaviour of the lateral navigation as well.

On my last flight on Vatsim I was instructed to go direct to a particular waypoint. Should be easy enough, but when I executed that in the MCDU, it deleted all remaining waypoints on my flightplan leaving me with just the departure and arrival airports, and tried to turn back to the start. Luckily I was using the Navigraph app on my tablet and was able to steer the aircraft by headings to keep to the track.

And also to implement Holds. Its unusual these days to fly into either Heathrow or Gatwick and not be required to hold.

Edited by Tom Wright
  • Like 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

With regards to the CJ4, it has VNAV and I've been using but it's not 100% intuitive - I find it easier because it's similar to the MJC Q400. In both the CJ4 and A320 you need to set your cleared altitude/FL in the autopilot MCU/FCU otherwise the aircraft will not descend.

For the FBW A320 you simply set the altitude restrictions on the right side of the flightplan in the MCDU, you can put speed restrictions here too. Also there's no VNAV button on the AP, you push the Altitude knob on the FCU which puts it in managed altitude mode (Airbus logic is you pull the knob to say "I am taking control" and you push the knob to say "I am giving control to the aircraft", it works the same way for speed and heading).

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, bendead said:

From what I remember FBW team is speaking with WT CJ4 team to integrate VNAV, no date about when it will be available.

That is the custom flightplan not the VNAV

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

44 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

That is the custom flightplan not the VNAV

Not sure, I remember hearing about CJ4 VNAV help, on the FBW youtube video, I will check tonight

I appreciate everyone’s comments. I had found the TOD calculator on the FBW FlyPad, and just use the old rule of thumb as well. Now I know I’m not crazy for thinking I couldn’t get VNAV to work. 

Both WT and FBW teams are insanely talented. I have a background in shipboard naval simulators, and the folks on those teams really know how to simulate systems. 

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

3 hours ago, Petraeus said:

it wouldn't surprise me if we see the 'doughnut' in the FBW A320, just like the CJ4, at some point. Only then will I feel confident to fly the A320 under VATSIM control.

😀 Only joined VATSIM last Friday after seventeen years simming and did my first ever flight yesterday using the experimental version 0f FBW A320X. Luckily everything went fine, although to be fair I was on unicom a lot of the time.

• Like 3

Alan Finch

Windows 11, Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHz, RAM 32GB 

1 hour ago, AirbusDriverII said:

😀 Only joined VATSIM last Friday after seventeen years simming and did my first ever flight yesterday using the experimental version 0f FBW A320X. Luckily everything went fine, although to be fair I was on unicom a lot of the time.

Awesome! VATSIM is a blast.  I was doing a lot of flights in the Bonanza and Baron; then moved to the WT CJ4.  I am going to give the experimental A320 FBW a go on VATSIM this week.  I've also been using PACX for some background noise for additional immersion.

1 hour ago, AirbusDriverII said:

I only joined VATSIM last month too. It's awesome, adds a whole new level of depth to simming and makes it probably about as close as is possible to get to real life!  Definitely makes me get sweaty palms a bit though when it's busy!

• Like 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S