Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

The Physics Model

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

If you want to truly help get a better simulator (regardless of platform) then face the reality and come up with solutions or requests like I have

I'm not interested in getting into a pissing contest with you about whose reality is actually real, Rob.   It's not worth it and it will just get urine on everyone else.  All I'm going to respond to is this quote, and that's to point out that my colleagues and I have been contracted by Microsoft to do exactly that.  So maybe we'll get you some of the changes you wish for and make your dreams a reality.

Cheers.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 10

I do not understand the rock slinging. P3d is a great sim. It can still do things that MSFS cannot. The fact that Activesky can inject its own weather to override the sim's garbage default weather engine is a major plus over MSFS, where we're stuck with Meteoblue.

MSFS also has places where it is great, and shows promise of becoming the best sim around. They both have good points and bad points.  Arguing which is best is like the truck dopes arguing over Ford vs Chevy.  It's pointless, and both sides are wrong when they claim the other is junk.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Let's face it... MFS comes packaged in a beautiful enclosure, made up of the nice scenery and weather rendering, features that are offered by default and in the other platforms have to be bought and were some of them expensive, etc...

Unfortunately for me at it present state MFS isn't still satisfactory in terms of the flight dynamics. I have been following the investment of some friends in trying to figure out the intricacies of the Modern FM and we can expect that ASOBO and probably also some 3pds will continue to work on that area, as well as in the weather modeling area, but as it is right now I can't use it without paying attention to very evident inconsistencies, and I quited using it.

But thr potential is evident and all we can hope is that it turns into effective modeling of future add-on aircraft of various types, maybe culminating with the introduction of rotary wing an an year or two.

At the same time the other platforms are there and have a more sound and consistent offer, specifically if one has already invested seriously on them. If there is an objective in the way one uses a flightsim, such as using it to learn navigation, have an idea about aircraft opreation, systems, ... then those platforms offer probably what we want and need right now, and even if they don't offer the eye candy of MFS they  can still be more useful at present.

Maybe in a year or two MFS has evolved into a fully featured patform, and those who are more specific in trhe use of their sims can move happily to MFS. Maybe those other platforms can also offer in the future new versions that might still better suit the specifi needs & wants of some users.

IMO there will always be room for XP, P3D, MFS and other offers that can beocome availabe along the way.I, for instance, still look forward for that "Bush Flight Simulator" that has long been announced on Steam :-)

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Physics feel spot on from my armchair...

• Like 2

Thomas Derbyshire

32 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Rudder/yaw is a tad sensitive though.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

18 minutes ago, Mace said:

Rudder/yaw is a tad sensitive though.

That's more a control mapping issue. I've had a very hard time toning down the sensitivity so that the rudder travel is smooth. The compromise I've settled on for now makes it semi-slow in the first half of travel and then it ramps up to hit 100% by the end of travel. At least I can mostly steer on the ground without jerking back and forth, but the sudden kickover at higher slider values is obnoxious.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sidfadc said:

Gravity vectors can get a bit screwy when you hit recline though - careful!

On 3/29/2021 at 5:31 PM, TrafficPilot said:

What were you flying in FSX? I would not describe it as "flying on rails" unless you were flying the default MS aircraft.

Agreed. A2A c172, active sky realism option selected, and the realturb addon altogether give me a very realistic feeling. I don't know anyone who flies the default planes in fsx or p3d.

17 hours ago, eslader said:

That's more a control mapping issue. I've had a very hard time toning down the sensitivity so that the rudder travel is smooth. The compromise I've settled on for now makes it semi-slow in the first half of travel and then it ramps up to hit 100% by the end of travel. At least I can mostly steer on the ground without jerking back and forth, but the sudden kickover at higher slider values is obnoxious.

Is it possible to post a pic of your sensitivity page as i cant quite get mine right . No worries if not . 

Dazza

21 hours ago, WestAir said:

ask if you use pitch or power for speed. Bring popcorn.

I had the luck to have a chilled flight instructor. He told me to fly like you're driving a car. So he clearly was the power for speed guy. I find this a good point to start off, as it is more natural and when it really matters you behave like that - for example on a glideslope where pitching would be counter-productive. 😄

But for general climb / descend operation you pitch for speed.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

I’m so sick of this debate. Pitch/power for speed has only one right answer! “It depends.” 🙃

• Like 3

Chris

Please tell me no one seriously tried to use that AFProud95 video of the A320s landing on the carrier as evidence one way or another about MSFS's physics model.  That thing is a mod that has "invisible" arrestor cables implemented on the surface of it, to slow planes down quickly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dazzaboy said:

Is it possible to post a pic of your sensitivity page as i cant quite get mine right . No worries if not . 

Dazza

It'll be a bit, as I won't be near my sim box for awhile, but I'll try to remember. 

Fair warning: My control mapping sucks too, probably just in a different way from yours. 😉

3 hours ago, tweekz said:

He told me to fly like you're driving a car.

"So you want me to drift sideways through that DME arc at full throttle and then flip the bird to the nearest airplane while texting and eating a burger!?"

• Like 2

On 4/1/2021 at 9:21 PM, Beeline90 said:

Well said Dazza!

Thanks , just giving my view without getting involved in anyone elses . We are all different with different tastes , the one thing I would say though is msfs2020 isnt even a year old yet some of the negative posts on here perplex me . If you dont like the product dont use it . I prefer it over the others so use it . Not a single flight sim since I started over 20 years has managed to get me to say 'wow that is unbelievable' as many times as this one does . I know its not perfect but the potential is there just be patient people . 

Dazza

• Like 4