Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Undocking Windows - Strange FPS Impact and Vsync Behaviour

I haven't played the Sim since Dec.  Recently I upgraded my CPU (9700K>5800x) and my motherboard, as well as increased RAM (32GB>64GB).  I run on a 4K main display with two small 1080p monitors for avionics and ATC.  I'm starting with a new install of Windows and the Sim (re-installed from scratch yesterday with the hot fix version).  I briefly tried the latest Nvidia drivers but started getting CTDs during brief testing and rolled back to 457.51 drivers from December which seem stable.

I've found two things that DO NOT match behaviour from Dec. related to undocking Windows.

First, is that undocking windows has a dramatic effect on FPS.  For example, the mere prospect of undocking the ATC window results in about a 20FPS reduction...

Frame rate with no window undocked...

51079190228_cd00db761e_k.jpgDocked by Virtual-Chris (Junk Photos), on Flickr

Frame rate after undocking window... (Note GPU utilization drops to 72% and I lose 20FPS)

51079884241_96819c6a54_k.jpgUndocked Vsync Off by Virtual-Chris (Junk Photos), on Flickr

Second, When Vsync is on (60Hz) the frame rate is limited to 30FPS once you undock a window.  With no windows undocked, the FPS will remain around 57FPS with vsync on or off.

51079884411_e776517b23_k.jpgUndocked Vsync On by Virtual-Chris (Junk Photos), on Flickr

Third, Possibly related to these issues, is that back in December, undocking a Window with Afterburner OSD on, would result in the undocked window also getting an overlay, and the reported FPS being doubled.  This is no longer happening. 

Can anyone else confirm these observations?

Similarly, I'd love to hear from anyone that doesn't suffer a FPS penalty from undocking a window, as I'm almost certain I DIDN'T suffer a FPS loss back in December.  I'd like to know if it's possibly something in my setup or something recent in the sim.

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1

Semi-related, I have an issue, that if I have the VFR map docked (it doesn't have to be open just not in a separate window), it causes any videos I'm watching in my browser (youtube, netflix etc) to start buffering or lag badly, if I undock the map, the buffering/lag stops.

It's very weird. It's been happening since launch for me.

I also get the FPS drop you mentioned..

Edited by Tuskin38

Night and day difference. 42 vs. 29 FPS !

mcPtkoV.png

0SSpFi2.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

This of course means I cannot undock and drag the NAVLOG to another monitor window without destroying framerates. And yes was this way since day 1 launch of MSFS.

And ruins all bush trips for me, because cannot drag away the NAVLOG. You can minimize and maximize it up and down , but can't drag it off to another monitor screen.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I'm surprise this issue has not received more attention. It's perhaps the biggest single frame killer in the game and I have to imagine that a lot of people are using a 2nd monitor for pop-out windows.

Does anyone know if this is on Asobo's bug list at all?

• Like 1

I'ts been like this since I started using MSFS. 

Undocking causes significant drop in FPS. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Yep, nothing like release date  frames anymore.

Edited by Aristoteles

Iñigo Bildarratz

Nothing has changed in this respect since the introduction of FSX way back then. This is just another example of ESP code carried over.  

Apparently they could not fix it then and the same appears to apply now.  I stayed with FS2004 (6 monitors and very decent frame rates) until the introduction of P3Dv4 and just prior to that XPlane 11 and only after I gave up the vision of a surround cockpit like I had in FS2004.

I wish you luck guys. 

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Wow. Sad. I actually get nearly 60FPS in 4K now if I don’t use pop-out windows, but I built my whole home cockpit around having two small screens for Avionics so my main display could just be the view out the window. 

I’m getting close to just packing it in on this thing. It’s just not a serious sim for serious simmers.  Best to just spawn at an airport and have a look around with the drone. FFS. 

I can confirm this behavior.
With undocked utility windows (ATC, Cameras, etc.) on a second monitor, I get a frame rate between 22 and 30 frames at most. With these windows docked on the main screen between 47 to 50 frames.

Hopefully this will still be fixed.

• Like 1