Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

So Hard to Stay Positive

I really thought I had the 1 to 2 second pauses figured out because I had turned "Grass and Bushes" OFF and those pauses went away.  I still had microstutters (which seem to exist even if you set everything about as low as possible) but those pauses were gone.  I seemed to be the only one this helped though.  Now - fast forward a week or so and I wanted to retest my theory so I turned grass and bushes back to High (it was Ultra beofre I turned them Off) and to my extreme surprise, I still didnt have any pauses.

I don't know how games get made but I know that Asobo is not working alone.  There's Blackshark and Microsoft as well.  I never know when a Win10 update or maybe some random driver update may help or hurt my experience.  All the problems cannot be laid on Asobo.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

56 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Try to disable elephants, they are heavy for the CPU.

They're heavy for everything.

Sorry, sorry, I'll show myself out.

• Like 1

I have also backed off for a while.  While I’m hopeful for the future, as an old stick-and-rudder VFR pilot, I still find the flight models to be too unrefined, and I eventually lose interest. As others have said, this is a FLIGHT SIM, and it would seem obvious that the most basic issues to sort out first would be the actual “flight simulation” aspects themselves. The visuals are engaging, and one can imagine at some point how they would add to the FLIGHT experience, but they too eventually fail to hold my interest. That’s not what I signed on for. In coming back on recently I noted that the aircraft I had been using now had new and strange behavior. Getting below a certain speed threshold, but not particularly close to stall speeds would cause the aircraft to go into a complete roll and tuck to the left (in both jet and props) - which at low altitudes is unrecoverable. Perhaps my controllers are no longer responding properly since they changed the sensitivity settings panel, and I have not yet been able to sort things out effectively (re-calibrating in Win 10 had no effect). My “forced acceptance" of the latest Windows updates were a suspect for a while, but I doubt that’s the issue. So I return to my “wait-and-see” posture, in hopes this title won’t take years to achieve something that’s more acceptable to me. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

Been many days since I had a problem with MSFS. Today, I almost landed at a small airport in Texas, I was just starting to flare, and the entire PC locked up , started by a sound gurgle in the audio, and I had to use power button to shut it down, Task manager wouldn't even work. OK, that was a one off, I guess although the event monitor said it was a Run time DLL or something like that which is new to me. 

So I decide to go to an airport in my home town, KATL and fly to KBHM. Didn't want to taxi out from KATL cause that could take awhile, so I launched from 9L which MSFS said was the active runway. As the flight was loading, the music kept stalling like a broken record. Finally I could hit the FLY button, the aircraft appeared on the runway for about 2 seconds, stuttering like crazy, and CTD. This happened twice more. The 4th time, the aircraft appeared and stayed there but the FPS were down around 20, and finally creeped up to 24 FPS. With my fingers crossed, I took off and as I flew away from KATL, the FPS gradually smoothed out and is now running at it's normal locked 30 FPS. In the old days of FSX and P3D, this would indicate a Bad or duplicate BGL. Who knows with MSFS. I do know I won't be flying out of KATL any time soon, just use KPDK which is more realistic for GA flights anyway. 

20 minutes later, on my way to KBHM another CTD. It has been well over a week since I had one and now 5 in a row. This is why I am convinced that this is a server issue. 

Same old error. MSFS just quits. 

FlightSimulator.exe
      60420f33
      FlightSimulator.exe
      60420f33
      c0000005
      0000000000d1613b
      2d98
      01d72d4d8d1c8306
      C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
      C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
      32214076-bd5d-48fd-a0ef-eb35421963ef
      Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
      App

I am done for this morning. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

33 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Been many days since I had a problem with MSFS. Today, I almost landed at a small airport in Texas, I was just starting to flare, and the entire PC locked up ,

Bob I'm sorry to hear about your computer locking up again. If I didn't live 2000 miles away from you I would come over and fix it.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I think most of the pauses are from either slower internet connections and or not having enough video ram.

When I had my 2080 only having 8 gigs of vram I would get several second pauses as I entered the seattle region landing at seatac. Now with 24 gigs of vram I get zero pauses anywhere so I was clearly maxing out the video ram buffer. I have very fast internet so there is no problem there either, which further proves MSFS needs lots of Vram. I fly on ultra everywhere and have no pauses or stutters anywhere. But buying a 3090 is very expensive fix at thats if you can find one.

It might be a good option if Asobo adds an option to limit vram usage like I have seen in a few other games.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

After the fiasco that was the T76 bug I am at last back to acceptable performance.... the odd stutter but generally pretty smooth and enjoyable - I am dreading about what the next "update" will do  -  every single one as had an impact on performance in a not so good way (some worse then others) - leading me to have to change my settings to get back to where I was before.   Really shouldn't be that way......It would be nice to have an update and better performance but I would settle right now for just the same as before the update....

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

I think most of the pauses are from either slower internet connections and or not having enough video ram.

300 Mbit fiber and 24 GB VRAM here...

Total headroom for MSFS on my system: 

• 19 x i9 threads with an average occupation of 20%
  • About 48 GB of empty DDR4 RAM 
  • About 16 GB of empty VRAM
  • 290 Mbit of bandwidth (when it streams textures it takes about 10 Mbit for a few seconds and it's not on these occasions that it freezes)

Why is it so difficult to accept that the sim has optimization issues? 

Can you really fly in the socal area without stutters and pauses?

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

2 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

True. But the only way to see if a mod or update actually works is to install and run it. I religiously (most of the time) write down any changes I make to the sim such as setting changes, new installs, etc making it easier find out why things went wrong.

Yup that's exactly what I do too. If my sim suddenly start ctd I always think about what I changed or what new mod I installed, then remove them and restart to rule them out. 

5 hours ago, devgrp said:

Some of these guys create their own problems and don't want to admit it 

I find it's hard NOT to stay positive;

1. Sim is out 8 months.
2. There is a giant eco system of freeware
3. Asobo is releasing updates on a regular basis
4. The sim runs well even on modest hardware

just to name a few points. 

I mean, is anyone complaining that their 8 month old daughter isn't running the Pentagon yet?

• Like 4

I remember back in days when I bought FSX it was a slide show on my hardware! I think it took several years for hardware become more affordable, so I bought a new rig top notch gaming PC. FSX start running much smoother yet I still couldn't put all sliders to the right. Another few years and another upgrade and finally FSX was in all perfect performance glory.

Like in this joke: You know the truth about vacuum cleaners? What? They really suck." LOL Similarly the truth about flight sim is that upon their release hardware that would run it perfectly usually few years away! LOL It happened in many sims throughout my simmer experience .

So before MSFS was release  I bought top of the line rig one month prior. This time me after 30+ years of simming was ready and most importantly could afford a new rig! Yet few months after release I was force upgraded my video card to RTX3090! LOL Sound familiar huh? What can I say. I ran ULTRA on 3840X2160. Sometimes MSFS runs smooth like butter, sometimes there are some stutters. But overall I'm happy.  

The bottom line while I feel for you guys who have all kind of problems! But we can't getting Lombardini performance in Honda Civic! I'd say give it few years things will definitely get better. Just like it was for me in FSX, Il2, P3D, DCS, XP and so on. Hang on there!

• Like 6

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

9 hours ago, gb09f said:

There's lots of reasons to be positive. 

Science has delivered efficacious vaccines against COVID-19

Soon, we will be able to visit friends and families again

Summer is on its way (northern hemisphere) 

You Sir are an eternal optimist.  I am too.  Life is too short not to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Try to disable elephants, they are heavy for the CPU.

Actually I heard they were more memory-intensive than anything else.

Ba-dump tishhhh...... 😄  I'll see myself out....

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

The sim runs really well for me, I do occasionally get the odd pause, once every three or four flights but it doesn't bother me personally. When you think of the host of different computer set ups and hardware configurations it is not surprising that some people experience problems. My current PC was built solely to run MSFS and it does it well in 4K and ultra settings with very few problems, but my previous PC an I5 coffee lake CPU combined with a MSI 1080gtx gaming X also ran it well, again with few problems but with lower settings. So all in all I am quite happy with MSFS and look forward to future upgrades and third party aircraft. I do remember the stutters and CTD's I used to get with early versions of FSX, so hopefully things will improve for everyone in the future with MSFS. 😎

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

10 hours ago, gb09f said:

There's lots of reasons to be positive. 

Science has delivered efficacious vaccines against COVID-19

Soon, we will be able to visit friends and families again

Summer is on its way (northern hemisphere) 

👋 well said my friend !

spacer.png