Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Pentagon confirm more UFO footage.

14 hours ago, Chock said:

It's difficult to imagine that Earth would have any resources which were particularly rare in the universe. It's been a sci-fi trope a few times that invading aliens were after the water, but in reality water isn't a rare commodity since it is simply hydrogen and oxygen, and so far as we know, hydrogen is the most common element in the universe and oxygen is third on the list after helium.

Yep, it was covered in the link I posted.

The problem with this supposition is that there are loads of far better sources of water in space. In fact, we think that when Earth first formed from the swirling disc of gas and dust around the proto-Sun it was actually a pretty dry planet; the water to fill our oceans was delivered later by a barrage of comets and asteroids from the colder, outer regions of the solar system. In fact, Europa, one of the moons orbiting Jupiter, contains more liquid water in the global ocean beneath its frozen surface than our entire planet—Europa, and not Earth, is the Waterworld of our solar system. So if you were an alien voyaging between star systems in need of a drink, you’d have access to a far greater amount of water in the icy moons and cometary halo of the outer solar system. You’d also find it much more practical to operate in deep space, rather than trying to suck up the oceans against the gravitational pull of the planet Earth.

12 hours ago, dmwalker said:

Scientific interest. I would think even a highly advanced civilisation could still be curious about other lifeforms in the universe, just as a scientist here might study the patterns of activity in a beehive. Profit motive might get us to Mars but the discovery of bacteria there would create a lot of purely scientific interest.

Most likely scenario  perhaps. May well be that advanced technological life in the universe is rare. In which case we would be of great interest to another such species. Who knows but the explanation for the weird incidents with tic tac's and physics defying drones still has to be someone on this planet that has made a technological leap. Unless its all deliberate disinformation. 

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Unless its all deliberate disinformation. 

Deliberate disinformation?  Now who would do thing like that?  Certainly not telemarketers or spammers or governments!

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

Deliberate disinformation?  Now who would do thing like that?  Certainly not telemarketers or spammers or governments!

Noel

😁

13 hours ago, birdguy said:

One of them had left a book on a desk at the United Nations or some organization.  When we finally got it translated it was a cook book.  The title was 'To serve Humanity'.

I remember that episode. It was pretty scary!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

19 hours ago, dmwalker said:

Profit motive might get us to Mars but the discovery of bacteria there would create a lot of purely scientific interest.

Perhaps they will discover that Mars is actually infested with roaches! :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

39 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Perhaps they will discover that Mars is actually infested with roaches!

These will be the first visitors to Mars.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Perhaps they will discover that Mars is actually infested with roaches! 

Or, preferably, tardigrades.

Dugald Walker

I saw a UFO in the Sahara desert in 64, about 150 miles from the coast at around 11pm at night and the same place in the sky the next night and it travelled  West to East, but we found out it was not a UFO it was a new type of navy flare light in the MED off the coast of LIBYA over 200 miles away, Un-identified Flying Objects are some times identified, and if things in the country are not looking good it`s a good way to divert attention away from other things going on get the Gov to create a story. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I see a small group of scientists playing with their quantum entanglement experiments which are designed to create the illusion of physics defying craft so as to confuse other nations about your current technological capabilities (as Chock said earlier).

and who's to say that even if it were extraterrestrial in nature that aliens havent also devised a means of exploration that doesnt even require them to leave home? us with our remote control drones.

P.S.: anyone remember The Philadelphia experiment?

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

2 hours ago, sightseer said:

I see a small group of scientists playing with their quantum entanglement experiments which are designed to create the illusion of physics defying craft so as to confuse other nations about your current technological capabilitie

Quantum entanglement doesn't work like that though. 

and who's to say that even if it were extraterrestrial in nature that aliens havent also devised a means of exploration that doesnt even require them to leave home? us with our remote control drones.

Yep, if the so called tic tac stuff is genuinely aliens they would be unmanned I would have thought. Mothership manned or unmanned, both would work with that sort of tech.

anyone remember The Philadelphia experiment?

Sure do. Not sure if its for real though, or just a myth.  

20 hours ago, martin-w said:

Quantum entanglement doesn't work like that though.

killjoy.  I didn't know we knew how quantum entanglement worked.  I probably should've included a refernece to a man behind a green curtain.

but anyway - can you (or anyone) provide a 500 word or less summary of current quantum entanglement working knowledge/theory?

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

1 hour ago, sightseer said:

killjoy.  I didn't know we knew how quantum entanglement worked.  I probably should've included a refernece to a man behind a green curtain.

but anyway - can you (or anyone) provide a 500 word or less summary of current quantum entanglement working knowledge/theory?

We know HOW it works but not WHY it works. What we do know is that it can't be used to transmit data/information. You would have to elaborate on what you mean by "creating the illusion of physics defying effects" with quantum entanglement. What are you saying these hypothetical scientists are doing and how is it creating this illusion?

"Quantum Entanglement: “Spooky Action at a Distance” ... However, even though entangled quantum particles seem to interact with each other instantaneously -regardless of the distance, breaking the speed of light – with our current understanding of quantum mechanics, it is impossible to send data using quantum entanglement."

https://quantumxc.com/is-quantum-communication-faster-than-the-speed-of-light/

Edited by martin-w

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

with our current understanding of quantum mechanics, it is impossible to send data using quantum entanglement."

Which does not prove the impossibility of using QE to transmit information.

Key words: "...with our current understanding..."

According to many of my favorite SF authors, it will be possible in the (far?) future!

Fr. Bill    

Yep, with our current understanding indeed. Much still to be learnt.