Sign in to follow this  
chickster25

When will there be a PC to run MSFS?

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

What did you get?

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - A10 Replica stick and throttle.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 minute ago, Chock said:

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - A10 Replica stick and throttle.

Been using it for a few years - very happy with it!

• Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Just now, Cpt_Piett said:

Been using it for a few years - very happy with it!

Yeah, I know they're good, but ouch, £400 quid to fly toy planes lol. I'm pretty sure I paid less than that to get my real FAI glider licence.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Yeah, I know they're good, but ouch, £400 quid to fly toy planes lol

Absolutely, this hobby can be insanely expensive 🤑

In fact I sometimes wonder how many RL flying hours I would have gotten for the money I've spent on computer hardware and peripherals... or better not think about it too much 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Just now, DeCampos said:

Where from?  cant find anywhere for less than £499

Amazon.co.uk. Looks like they're costing more now, however, there are supposedly some coming in here for that price. I was initially looking there but they have none in stock, however, they can give you an alert when they get some.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Amazon.co.uk. Looks like they're costing more now, however, there are supposedly some coming in here for that price. I was initially looking there but they have not in stock, however, they can give you an alert when they get some.

Great Thanks!

Jose De Campos

London

Funny thing is right after forking out that much for a toy control, I was looking at that new MSFS plane today and going 'hmm, do I want to pay ten quid for it?' It's bizarre the way your head works sometimes.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

twoweeks.gif

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

4 hours ago, chickster25 said:

After looking at videos it would appear that even the best PCs with RTX 3090 graphics cards still struggle to run the most complex sceneries in Ultra at more than 20-30fps.

With computer chips being in short supply for at least the next 6 months, it would seem that the 3090 is going to be the top end card for the foreseeable future. I cannot see nvidia releasing a new range for some time.

so it’s going to be at least late 2022 or 2023 before there is any opportunity to improve and get better performance for MSFS and have a chance of running it at smooth frame rates.

Or is there another way to get around the current hardware limitations?

I think that's a bit pessimistic. You're not mentioning resolution of the monitor. I have a 3440x1440p monitor, I'm running almost everything on Ultra and LOD 200, and I'm getting consistantly high frame rates. Rough estimates, somewhere in the 45 - 60 range in moderately complex areas, down to 30 in very complex, and up to 100 in desert / ocean type areas (limited by my monitor). The only type of scenery that brings my FPS below 30 is areas I know is bugged on the simulator side. 

With G-Sync on, the frame rate and frame time synch and produces a very smooth experience, even at low frame rates. 

We will likely be getting DLSS at some point after DX12 implementation, and that will help tremendously as well.

Edited by Republic3D
  • Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

I could imagine dlss helping a bit with autogen and hand made buildings etc, but cant imagine what the already melted photgram will look like during low flights

Edited by dogmanbird

The way it has always worked with Flight Sims is that as time goes on the base application gets optimised and better hardware becomes available but you also get added features and more demanding options so in the end you always end up back where you started.

Basically they will optimise the game and the new hardware will eventually be easier to get - but what will then happen is they will make available things like particle effects with wheel smoke and wind kicking up dust and water wakes, not to mention ray traced cockpit lighting and shadows and all sorts of animated effects which will then reduce performance back to where it was.

Of course you can opt not to turn on any new performance reducing features, but the nature of civilian flight simming is people want everything on and turned up as high as possible.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

According to the link you provided for my 55inch 4K capable TV I should be sitting 2.5 metres away......there’s a good way to loose any sense of immersion.

I’m trying to be immersed in flying the aircraft and get a feel of being in the cockpit.....I’m not sitting on the couch watching day time TV.......

Edited by KL Oo
  • Like 2

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

The funny thing is that people tend to forget that basically all that matters is not the screen size or the resolution of the screen, but the pixel density of the screen. If someone is using a 70" screen with 4K, this is still only 63 ppi. Considering the fact that this ridicously low pixel density is also achieved by a 34" FullHD screen, it is rather funny that people use such a setup for "gaming". 

My 27" 1440p monitor has a ppi of 109, and I consider this already at the edge of being acceptable. But 63 ppi? Seriously? 

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

My PC runs MSFS really well thank you. 
BS topic.

My Old 4790 and a 1070 ran it just fine as well on med setting.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip