Sign in to follow this  
-Belga-

PMDG is coming to MSFS

6 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Hello Rob,

I'd appreciate it if you would withhold from false remarks ... specifically "belittle".  I'm not prepared to enter into a conversation/debate with some AVSIM members that have never looked at the SDK but claim the SDK is sufficient nor said members that have zero experience with software engineering.

Unfortunately, Microsoft have a habit of bleeding developers of ideas and implementation details (yes we do talk to each other believe it or not) and then releasing the very same feature later on leaving the developer with nothing.

I'd be happy to discuss with Mr. Neumann or more importantly with some actual Asobo/MS software engineers, but they will need to sign my NDA.

A fine job with not-so-subtle insults to avsim members, Microsoft, and Jorg Neuman - right after you take offense to the term “belittle.”  Good luck with that approach.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

Gosh.  The nastiness in this site is getting out of control.  Somebody in the p3d version of this thread made a good point about remembering we are all here because we have a hobby of using flight simulators.  Or atleast I hope so...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

7 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Apparently he ditched P3D and is only developing for MSFS according to his website here: https://simhorizon.com/ lol. 

Not to throw the guy under the bus but I find these kinds of things funny. Taken directly from his website.

"14-Day Trial – unlimited access to all features for 30 days"

Don't people bother to proofread anymore?

• Like 2

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

14 minutes ago, micstatic said:

Gosh.  The nastiness in this site is getting out of control.  Somebody in the p3d version of this thread made a good point about remembering we are all here because we have a hobby of using flight simulators.  Or atleast I hope so...

What does the wisdom of Nations say ? oh yes, you  reap what you sowed.   

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

So Rob is over at the P3D forum telling tall tales smh

I don't think PMDG are snubbing P3D, what I see in the future is a PMDG aircraft will be less feature rich and cheaper for MSFS and more feature rich and more expensive for P3D. 

There is 10+ years of code in the PMDG 737NGx (released 2011) it's going to take some time to get all that code base moved over to MSFS WASM, especially all the very fast and highly accelerated DirectX code which helps keep FPS high in P3D.  Still a big question mark on how well WASM threading will work and the translation layers from WASM to DirectX/GDI.  

I'm not going to speculate on where the SDK for MSFS ends up, nor where the SDK/PDK for P3D ends up.  To be honest, I was actually a little disappointed PMDG didn't go beyond the DC-6 for XP11 but again I think that was cost related due to significant changes in the code base having to go from DirectX to OpenGL/Vulkan.

Although I've heard rumors that 3D modelling is the more "expensive" aspect of these aircraft projects, but that doesn't really make much sense to me as the average salary for 3D modelers (US) is around $64K/yr and the average salary of a C++ developer is $88K/yr (US) ... but maybe it's just a matter of resource time?

I do feel LM need to get these minor version updates "right" or else they will lose developer interest as well as customer base.  I haven't done a "for pleasure" flight in P3D since the introduction of a broken EA in V5.0.  I've consumed myself with working on MSFS projects even with an SDK that doesn't allow me to provide a better end user experience.

On 5/22/2021 at 1:16 PM, omarsmak30 said:

So is MSFS still a game and the SDK is still not ready?

Have you been around when certain users claimed MSFS would offer livery-quality addons only? 🙂

It's nice to see MSFS finally getting some serious simming added to the equation!

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 4

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

4 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

What does the wisdom of Nations say ? oh yes, you  reap what you sowed.   

that doesn't make the uglyness any better Dominique.  And quite frankly.  Whether you guys agree with his opinions about the new sim or not he has directly helped a large amount of flight simmers on this site over the years.  That counts for something in my book.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, mrueedi said:

I will never forget how Matt in this thread went to great lengths defending how good the SDK was. That is the attitude that opens doors.

And I will never forget my answer to his post either:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/update-on-complex-airliners/364538/73

Besides, when Matt was posting this, they were already partnering with Microsoft, if not way earlier (at least just considering the paperwork).

PS: Microsoft has not been replying any of my emails or phone calls since March 2020 and the only attitude this has to do with anything is a blatant lack of politeness and basic respect to a renowned 3rd party vendor 20 years in this industry. In my opinion this is not sending a good message to other 3rd parties and simmers, and you can't blame people wondering either.

Edited by RXP
  • Upvote 3

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

2 minutes ago, RXP said:

Besides, when Matt was posting this, they were already partnering with Microsoft, if not way earlier (at least just considering the paperwork).

PS: Microsoft has not been replying any of my emails or phone calls since March 2020 and the only attitude this has to do with anything is a lack of basic politeness.

Or the could just be very busy? I swear some of these devs sound so emotional. Its like they were in a relationship and they got cheated on so now they are bitter smh lmao

1 minute ago, RXP said:

PS: Microsoft has not been replying any of my emails or phone calls since March 2020 and the only attitude this has to do with anything is a lack of basic politeness.

It it were me, I would have to take this in either one of two ways:

1. They honestly just have not gotten around to me yet.
  2. For whatever reason they have no intentions of getting around to you.

In either case, I suspect there is little you can do about it, and I'm not super-sure that taking it public works in your favor.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just now, micstatic said:

that doesn't make the uglyness any better Dominique.  And quite frankly.  Whether you guys agree with his opinions about the new sim or not he has directly helped a large amount of flight simmers on this site over the years.  That counts for something in my book.  

When you spend two years spreading disinformation about a new product because you have not opinions but an agenda, you get at the end of the day what you deserve (scorn) when all the disinformation shows its ugly face.  I've been here for a long time, he was indeed, as I recall,  a good fellow before he was made a mod and even then.  So what ?

• Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

10 minutes ago, RXP said:

PS: Microsoft has not been replying any of my emails or phone calls since March 2020 and the only attitude this has to do with anything is a blatant lack of politeness and basic respect to a renowned 3rd party vendor 20 years in this industry. In my opinion this is not sending a good message to other 3rd parties and simmers, and you can't blame people wondering either.

Are you talking about Microsoft or Asobo now? 

In my experience, Asobo is very quick and willing to answer and help whenever they can. MS on the other hand takes 3 weeks to respond, and usually (all the time actually) they either dont understand the problem, dont really read the emails, or totally get it wrong. 

We deal with both and we see a CLEAR difference in how the requests are handled.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, RXP said:

Playing the “don’t you know who I am” card is probably not going to do you any favors.  Asobo does not have the resources to work directly with every developer out there, especially those that have not produced anything meaningful for any sim (not speaking of you of course.). Attributing this to lack of respect or politeness is not going to help you open doors.  Remember, you need them more than they need you.  And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

25 minutes ago, RXP said:

Hey Jean-Luc

You know I'vemixed feeling about  the way the project is managed by MS  and the poor knowledge of the flight simulation world by Asobo prior to their entry in the field.   By many aspects, the project looks like, excuse my French 😂, un b---l ambulant, an ambulating <cough> mess.  A nice mess but still a mess. Could this explain that ?

EDIT Reading Leprechaunlive's post after  posting mine. Have you tried the Bordeaux connection ? 

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

4 minutes ago, Gilandred said:

especially those that have not produced anything meaningful for any sim

you'd be surprised actually 🙂 our first ever addon for any sim ever released just about a month ago. and they were nothing but helpful WAY before that!

• Like 2