Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

X-Plane Technology Preview One

Preview of next gen lighting:

• Like 18

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

You beat me to it.  I do think LR needs to be a bit careful with graphics upgrade.  Right now MSFS looks just too clean, everything feels artificial lab created CG movie, spotless. 

Even though the graphic doesn't look good in X-Plane, the color and other stuff looks much more real life like.  I hope XP continue with this tradition.  

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

Very happy to see this.... don't underestimate just how much lighting can improve things, including existing scenery we already have.

Hopefully we'll get some more previews soon

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Sims Smith said:

I do think LR needs to be a bit careful with graphics upgrade.  Right now MSFS looks just too clean, everything feels artificial lab created CG movie, spotless. 

I agree with you - the real world is often hazy, murky, grayish and washed out - not like a golden sunset over Hawaii.

There ARE situations where the sky is bright and the visibility is limitless (I have done my flighttraining in Arizona) and I guess if the users wants to set the weather up like that...its his prerogative. But I will throw in my influence at LR to make sure that "hazy, murky, Beijing smog" is still possible 😉

Cheers, Jan

Excellent news! I still see the 'radioactive trees' against sunlight but I understand this is only a very early preview.

• Upvote 3

The world can look often hazy but it is obviously a matter of weather effects to get this right, not what they previewed here.

Waiting to see how the full "next generation tech" will look as a whole piece, it is obvious that the current art assets does not fit well in the new lighting environment, buildings are too reflective but it is a good sign so smaller PBR details can really pop.

Hope for some new art assets previews, including auto-gen and ground texturing.

BTW the atmospheric coloring looks spot on in the next generation model.

Edited by akita
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, peroni said:

Excellent news! I still see the 'radioactive trees' against sunlight but I understand this is only a very early preview.

This is due to trees are currently flat billboards with normals facing "up", does not interact well with PBR (frensel effect) but also not a lighting problem more like art assets begs for some love 🙂

LR already mentioned they are working on new auto-gen and trees too, probably with multiple UVs capability.

Edited by akita
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, akita said:

The world can look often hazy but it is obviously a matter of weather effects to get this right, not what they previewed here.

Waiting to see how the full "next generation tech" will look as a whole piece, it is obvious that the current art assets does not fit well in the new lighting environment, buildings are too reflective but it is a good sign so smaller PBR details can really pop.

Hope for some new art assets previews, including auto-gen and ground texturing.

BTW the atmospheric coloring looks spot on in the next generation model.

I think you are spot on.

It will take a complemented of new things that will be added in the sim in order to see the light effects in its full glory. The new weather system will be one to watch for if its coming. As far as lighting, it will be interested in see the difference in lighting between the winter vs summer in the northern hemisphere relative to the calendar and compare that with the southern hemisphere within the same calendar months. 

But so far I like what I see also.

Edited by BobFS88
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It looks nice. But not a cloud in the sky and no shadows? Hmmmm... Maybe it's just eye candy.

10 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

It looks nice. But not a cloud in the sky and no shadows? Hmmmm... Maybe it's just eye candy.

That's because they are only showing off the lighting not weather, first things first.

Get the lighting right then they focus on the clouds and everything else. 

Edited by BobFS88

1 hour ago, peroni said:

I still see the 'radioactive trees' against sunlight

I was thinking the trees looked new. - at least different, hard to tell from such a distance.

AutoATC Developer

good improvement. I like it.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Solid step in the right direction

• Like 2

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

35 minutes ago, crosswind said:

Solid step in the right direction

Definitely!  Great to see.