Sign in to follow this  
Pilot53

The PMDG DC-6 Is out!

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

Whoa, buckle up people. It seems that once more Goran has detected the heady aroma of ‘the seeds of suspicion’.

Lol.  Ok?

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

This character is a developer of an outfit called Leading Edge Simulation  who works in XP11 and has released a TBM the sales of which, I suppose, suffers a bit from the MFS TBM

Laughable.  Yeah, a default aircraft in a completely different sim is hurting my sales.  If it makes you feel better to say it, this character certainly won't hold you back.  

and has released  last year a DC-3  which is in competition with the PMDG 6. 

Ummm, no.  My DC3 was released in 2011.  And I have absolutely no intention of my 10 year old add on being in direct competition with anyone.  There are 2 others in X-Plane.

In a nutshell, he comes here to diss the competitors. The last post raising fear about the .exe is despicable. 

It's an exe in a documentation folder, which, I have found out, alters the registry.  I won't stoop to name calling, but if you feel safe letting a file alter your registry, you're a more trusting person than I am.

And I come here because some MSFS people come to the X-Plane forums, and they say there's nothing wrong with that.  So...here I am.

There is a paragraph in the Avsim ToS about  deceptive practices. Instilling the doubt on the dangerousness of a competitor's product looks borderline. Up to the moderator team to decide.

I never accused anyone of anything.  I asked a question.  What's deceptive about that?  Nice job on the gatekeeping, but stop reaching.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

A few of you are getting paranoid over nothing. Avast Antivirus frequently checks the installers for my UK2000 products, but I know that they are false positives. Do you seriously think that PMDG would add a dodgy malware style executable in their products after what happened with FSL? They would be taken to the cleaners by the armchair lawyers here at AVSIM.

Already posted, but it's confirmed the exe alters the mouse section of your registry.  Harmless?  Not for me to decide.  My question is, why is an exe file in the documentation folder?  Why isn't it in another, more appropriate folder.  That's ALL I was asking.  Regardless what other people WANT to believe.

Edited by GoranM

9 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Delete all mixture assignments. Dc6 does not like mixture bindings. 

no matter what I assign the mixture levers do not want to move!

thanks for the reply so how are you controlling them if you dont assign - presume you are leaving them to the flight engineer to manage?

22 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

False positive or not a false positive. Not worth the risk. Maybe somethings crept in that shouldn't have? I'm glad Defender caught it and got rid of it just in case.

PMDG, with their reputation, are probably not up to anything sinister.  In saying that, and not wanting to link them to anyone else, FSLabs were also up there in reputation.  Lefteris was PMDG's programmer.  I mean, that says it all.  And look what happened.  They stepped in it, and there was hell to pay.  

Personally, I don't like exe's in folders that are not meant to have exe's in them.  I don't think an add on has to have an exe within ANY folder, but maybe add ons work differently in MSFS.  Did PMDG have a legitimate reason to put it in there?  Probably.  I can't say for sure, because I don't work for them.  Would I install it?  No comment.  If people like it, and want to enjoy it and install it, be my guest.  If I was that eager to have the DC6, I would at least wait for solid confirmation that this file is NOT anything malicious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I use the mouse, @mac44 🙂

ok- presume you mean to drag them?

also guessing the flight engineer should look after them if he is selected.

8 minutes ago, GoranM said:

why is an exe file in the documentation folder?  Why isn't it in another, more appropriate folder. That's ALL I was asking.

You can just make another folder and put it in there, if that takes your fears away. Anywhere you like basically. You're welcome!

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

1 minute ago, rka said:

You can just make another folder and put it in there, if that takes your fears away. Anywhere you like basically. You're welcome!

No.  It doesn't take my fears away.  If I can DELETE the exe file, with no after effects, then I would feel safe.

Just now, GoranM said:

No.  It doesn't take my fears away.  If I can DELETE the exe file, with no after effects, then I would feel safe.

Yes, you can even delete files on your computer. It's possible. It has an after effect though, the file will be not be there anymore.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

And sarcasm is a second language to me.

You're a plethora of information.

😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mac44 said:

ok- presume you mean to drag them?

also guessing the flight engineer should look after them if he is selected.

I use the mouse scroll wheel to put them up and down. I dont fly with the AFE, but I guess he will 🙂

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Things seem to be a bit slow in X-land today ...

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

on’t you love when people who have not MFS installed nor the 6 take a magnifying glass to scrutinize amateurish clips on YouTube or the screenshot of some user’s install to say nasty or scary stuff. You wonder why. Or you don’t.

I just saw this one.  Thought I would clear it up for you.  I never scrutinized anything.  Someone posted an image of their anti virus catching the file.  Like I said, if you have no issues with having an exe file in an add on, then by all means, carry on.  There are those who DON'T like it.  Doesn't make them wrong, and it doesn't make YOU wrong.  You have no problems with it?  Install at your leisure.  

35 minutes ago, GoranM said:

I never accused anyone of anything.  I asked a question.  What's deceptive about that?  Nice job on the gatekeeping, but stop reaching.

You don't ask a question, you instill the doubt. 

Knowing that you do not own the product and MFS, your caring for our safety is laughable. You are just trolling as usual  on behalf of the Sect and incidentally for your products. 

Deceptive practices  ? Well it quacks and walks like a duck as far as I see.  

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I stumbled upon a cool 1950ies DC6 documentary/promo, just what one needs in order to set an appropriate mindset before starting a flight with this bird:

https://youtu.be/MiA6K4ZU1b8