Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

MSFS Addon Prices

Although I haven't purchase many MSFS addons over the past year, all of the ones I did purchase were very reasonably priced. Most recently I picked up the FT EKCH for around $12 on sale (a bargain if you ask me). Generally, the addons have all been much less expensive than their P3d counterparts, but I have recently noticed a trend of several new MSFS addons being $25 USD and up. Many of these more expensive addons are from developers I have never heard of. Of course, I will only buy addons that I feel are good value, and developers have the right to charge whatever they want to. If I find it too pricey, I just won't buy it. I am just curious as to what some of your thoughts are and if you are seeing the same thing I am. It does seem like MSFS addon prices are all over the place, and it is rather interesting.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 2

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

There's tons of payware scenery, but lots and lots of great freeware too.  I've held off buying much because there's so much good freeware out there.  If I do buy something, I wait for a sale from the MS Store or another marketplace.  You can get some good deals if you keep an eye on the sales.  You can just click the little heart icon to favorite something and then watch for any discounts. 

There seem to be a lot of people jumping in the payware scenery market, and lots of different levels of quality. 

Aircraft are a completely different thing in my opinion.  A lot fewer options and from what I've bought I have not had any issues. 

• Like 2

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I agree. The issue is the quality of the MSFS standard airports are of excellent quality and the availability of free airports increases every day. That's why the developer can't raise the price too much otherwise he doesn't sell. So far I haven't bought any airport. The only addon I've bought so far was the PMDG DC-6 and I'm really happy about it.

• Like 3

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Agreed, some of the freeware is amazing, and I have downloaded and installed most of the really good stuff. I am almost afraid to buy an airport that is not from a super top tier developer because in due time there may be even better freeware available.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Yeah there are more and more payware from unknown developers keep popping up in simmarket with ridiculous prices and worse of them all, very low quality. You can find these very easily in simmarket

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

The quality of the addon is most important to me, not the price, I can afford it now when my children have grown up and managed on their own, and I myself have retired 😊

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

In my opinion developers need to innovate more just like Orbx did in years gone by in FSX. Where is the modern version of PeopleFlow and NatureFlow or custom sounds for the airport and surrounding environment? Where's the innovation that brings airports and environments alive?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Many payware products are conversions of other sim based payware airports for instance, which, for those who know how can do so with far less efforts, therefore less price point.

I have yet to spend any money on any addons for MSFS, mainly because I'm new at this sim and secondly I have been feeding the XP sim with infusions of cash for addons and I can't afford to double up at this time.

So MS is more about the golly gee whiz out the window and freeware addons which are pretty darn good actually.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I’ve spent way too much on payware over the years. With that said, I don’t mind spending for quality. If it’s cheap too, then that is a bonus. Looks like we are getting lots of trash like FSX spawned at one time.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

In truth the only scenery add ons I bought for FS9 and FSX were FS Global and FScene, both from Just Flight and that was largely to beef up the default mesh and textures which were dire. No such need in MSFS (IMHO).

As regards aircraft, well I bought the 103 off the official store and naturally have the FBW A320 in my hangar. However nothing else has really appealed to my particular interest, which is classic tubeliners. I might buy the DC6 at a later stage but not really my bag. Certainly as regards the likes of Simmarket, I tread cautiously as I would much prefer my add on to come with a respected badge on the “box”, even if these days the box is a digital purchase.

I cannot exactly find the general quote but it was something along the lines of MSFS scenery would be slightly cheaper due to it being easier to create than its other sim counterparts but I agree with the OP that price creep has certainly hit some developers.

I am not sure how much truth there is to that.

I will buy it to a point but generally will wait for sales to hit.

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

With economies of scale MSFS products should be cheaper than a niche market. There are outliers of course, since X-Plane scenery in general is cheaper than it's FSX/P3D counterpart. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

MSFS 2020 is the first simulator where I didn't feel the need to immediately go out and spend $$$$$$ just to make it look halfway decent. 

Out of the box, Xplane and P3D are barely tolerable visually, leading to the purchase of untold number of addons. Not the case with MSFS.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

MSFS 2020 is the first simulator where I didn't feel the need to immediately go out and spend $$$$$$ just to make it look halfway decent. 

Out of the box, Xplane and P3D are barely tolerable visually, leading to the purchase of untold number of addons. Not the case with MSFS.

I concur.  As I have all these sims, this is exactly the situation.

I started XP three years ago prior to MSFS2020, and then set about making it a great sim, this required a fair number of "must have" purchases.  I then found ortho which is MS in disguise for XP, basically the same think without the lidar.  With those necessary addons the sim is a wonderful flying experience.

And then there are the planes, I slowly built a great hanger full of a range of planes in all sims up until MSFS.

So now here is sit, sort of waiting, wondering, about quality planes for MS, but when they do I will likely start buying, a DH Beaver, a Dash7 or 8, an Islander, a Catalina, and more...bring it on! Scenery I'm only looking at freeware at the moment.  Except I have my eye on Orbx as always.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Are these addons available in MS store like the game itself. The shop looks quite chaotic and I did not find but the game.