Sign in to follow this  
Seat*

White dot in the center of the image

People berated me when I used to constantly mention a severe lack of Quality Control with MS/Asobo....yet  here we are again, a terrific AAU2 spoilt by needless dots & borders that any QC Team would've identified within minutes and any competent Dev team would've sorted out (had they been allowed to do so...).

Whether it's a lack of QC or Jorg has final say and "just doesn't get it" who knows, but time after time we get these updates with pathetic schoolboy errors and issues, they have not learnt a thing and yet they want us to get excited for MSFS2024?!....more of the same shenanigans to come with that Sim I feel as I cannot see anything changing - they're simply not learning from past mistakes.

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

4 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

The white dot is a bit of a mystery. I had it few hours ago with the Cabri and the Hellcat. It was intermittent coming up with the mouse. Now I don't see it which is good but puzzling 😄.  

I use TrackIr and also a wireless Xbox controller for drone views. 

The white dot first appeared after SU5.

The flashing white frame appeared after SU10.

These things used to occur only if you had either of the above hardware.
However, after the latest update it appears Asobo have managed to spread the love and now everyone benefits from white dots and white frames….

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MarcG said:

schoolboy errors 

Presumably everyone at Flightsim Expo will be getting a glimpse of this stuff as they’ll be using the latest version?

Hopefully Jorge will be there to see for himself 😃

• Like 1

Well, I can get the dot too at times, as well as the white borders on the ATR displays, but as soon as I use the mouse with right button pressed to pan around, they're gone.

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

Can someone please explain what the purpose is for these white dots and white frames?  Are they coded for Xbox users yet negatively affect pc users?

I have never experienced either until last nights mandatory update.  I do not own an xbox, nor do I own any sort of xbox controller.  I use the keyboard for moving the drone about. Some say other controllers with hatswitches now trigger this but last night I disconnected all my controllers - Thrustmaster TCA sidestick and Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo and in the 737 it still showed the white dot if I pressed the right mouse button and if I clicked the middle mouse button to enable mouse panning each and every display showed a white border when approx in the middle of the screen.  I do use TrackIR but even did not have its app running during a test.

Are xbox users really limited to only being able to click things by using a fixed dot bang in the middle of the screen?

Can xbox users not use a mouse like pc users and point and click anywhere on the screen which would remove the need for silly huge white dots? The dot isnt even subtle, running at 4k on a 48" monitor and its a good 5mm in diameter

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Xbox doesn’t have a mouse.  It probably could (?) but people don’t use an xbox at a desk with a keyboard and a flat surface nearby to use a mouse on usually. The dot lets them see what their cursor position is so they can manipulate the cockpit the same way you can with the mouse.  The mouse cursor is also displayed on your screen, and is probably larger than the white dot, but you’re used to it and you need it, so it doesn’t bother you.  It should be able to be hidden, and it’s a visual annoyance for us.  That’s it.  I’ve never seen it, and I have all the things that are supposed to make it appear, but I do see the boxes.  (And did before the update) I’m not a fan of seeing the boxes, but it’s a minor annoyance at best.

incidentally they released two of the best default airliner avionics suites to appear in a flight sim.  Ever.  But you wouldn’t know it from reading stuff here.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

Xbox doesn’t have a mouse.  It probably could (?) but people don’t use an xbox at a desk with a keyboard and a flat surface nearby to use a mouse on usually. The dot lets them see what their cursor position is so they can manipulate the cockpit the same way you can with the mouse.  The mouse cursor is also displayed on your screen, and is probably larger than the white dot, but you’re used to it and you need it, so it doesn’t bother you.  It should be able to be hidden, and it’s a visual annoyance for us.  That’s it.  I’ve never seen it, and I have all the things that are supposed to make it appear, but I do see the boxes.  (And did before the update) I’m not a fan of seeing the boxes, but it’s a minor annoyance at best.

incidentally they released two of the best default airliner avionics suites to appear in a flight sim.  Ever.  But you wouldn’t know it from reading stuff here.

Today the dot only appears if I change to an external/drone view and move the mouse about quickly then immediately let go and change back to an internal view. 

I cannot imagine how frustrating it must be to move your view about with some gaming controller so that the centrally placed dot is over a button or a dial.  Is this really how xbox users have to interact with the cockpits?  If possible they should be made to use a mouse.  Aircraft like the A320, 737 etc are complex so button pressing and rotating dials plays ahuge part in flying.  At least with a mouse and TrackIr I move my head, or lean back or move over, just as I would in the real world, whilst looking towards the panel etc with TrackIR.  No need for the button or dial to be completely in the middle of the monitor. 

In further tests Ive removed any view controls on a yoke profile and the white boxes still occurs.  Also changed from Legacy to Locked cockpit mode but that made zero difference.  I can perhaps understand the fixed dot though it should NOT exist on a pc platform but the highlighted glass cockpit displays makes no sense at all 

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

it'd be annoying for me too, but console guys are way more adept with the controller than I am.  I need a mouse and keyboard for shooters, but my buddies can kick my butt while using the controller.  the mouse isn't really an option for most of them.

I just fired up the sim and attempted to finally see the dot.  I did.  If I exclusively use my hat, it shows up while my finger is in the hat switch, and stops the second I stop using it.  If I fire up the Track IR, the dot disappears, and doesn't show up even when using the switch.  while panning around the cockpit some of the displays show the white box in the periphery of the view focus, and then disappear when I stop moving my head.  I didn't try all my planes, but I tried a few, and the only one I could get any of this behavior was the PMDG.  I have a controller for drone use, but I removed the mappings for cockpit camera from it a long time ago, maybe that's a difference?  don't know.  

So there it is.  I see it,  It perhaps popped up before and I didn't notice.  Is this behavior really what this fuss is about?  does the dot remain on the screen?

For anyone who hasn't experienced the white dot it looks like this....may not be a big issue for some but also very distracting for some.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxUA5ISl88_Y-bPTHwgeSZrI4vqSL53xWu

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

that's from VR,  I can see the application of that in VR,  is it visible all the time in non VR situations for anyone?

I get the white dot now.  moving the mouse removes it for a while.

So that is interesting,  it stays on?  What hardware do you use to pan the view?

8 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think that when beta testers report a problem, that should put a stop on releasing the update, until the problem is fixed, no exceptions.

arnt we all beta  testers  for  msfs 2024  🙂

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg