Sign in to follow this  
rocketlaunch

What's to look forward to in P3D?

Bob, I haven’t tried other packages myself but have experienced one of them in action when visiting a friend a few years back. On a straight forward flight from EGCC to EIDW we cruised at FL220 and then waited for the descent instruction. By the time it came we were well passed the ToD so it was quite a descent. That didn’t give me much confidence in it when RC4 can handle flights like that with ease.

I can even use RC4 with Concorde but have to notify it I can’t maintain assigned altitudes. It’s a one-off selection after which I’m free to climb as slow as I like or even descend in order to maintain Mach 2.0. You’re effectively turning off the vertical watchdog. Speed rather than altitude was the overriding priority with Concorde with climb rates as small as 50fpm. RC4 wants 200fpm as a minimum.

I run RC4 on a networked PC with ShowText displaying the menu. Keeps the flight sim window nice and clean.

To still be satisfied with a program that has been around since we beta tested it in 2006 is testament to its excellence. It’s such a pity the source code is not available because even though it was written in VB there’s nothing wrong with that language. It wouldn’t take that much to make it even better but sadly that will never happen.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

To still be satisfied with a program that has been around since we beta tested it in 2006 is testament to its excellence. It’s such a pity the source code is not available because even though it was written in VB there’s nothing wrong with that language. It wouldn’t take that much to make it even better but sadly that will never happen.

I assume the authors were asked when they released it free of charge if they were willing to release the source code, and declined? Shame if so. Having a good existing product to base something on would be a huge head-start to anyone looking to build a new ATC package. If it were VB.NET then it could be decompiled (although if obfuscated, getting it back to something readable would be a BIG task) but it's 'classic' VB by the looks of it (and given the age of it, it couldn't really be anything else), and in any case unless the original authors grant a license to re-use the existing work, it wouldn't be legal to do so.

If I thought for a moment that it was a problem I was capable of solving, I'd start an open-source project to build an extensible ATC framework for the community... but I think it would probably take years to learn enough about the domain without the active help of multiple ATC professionals to get even a prototype working. Perhaps a proper community project... I believe there are some controllers on here... but it would take a huge amount of time and effort. Anyone fancy it? 🙂

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

@neilhewitt, John Dekker was asked about the source code after he announced it would become free a few years ago. He didn’t answer the question.

The co-owner - Doug Thompson - was a controller in the US and the pair formed their company and the first versions of RC were adventures in much earlier versions of FS.

Then a British controller was invited into the group plus a maths genius and also Pete Dowson. I joined it around 2004 for my FS enthusiasm and a purchaser of the earlier products.

I’ll send you John’s private email address in a PM later.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 8/3/2021 at 4:39 AM, SimeonWilbury said:

This is probably the most inportant point on this thread for me.

I'm currently sitting on a supremely reliable v4.5 install where I can run 7+ hour flights in the PMDG 744 and barely have to worry about stability in the slightest. Something I never achieved back when I used FSX. v5 is something I can move towards getting at my own pace while still enjoying what v4 has to offer.

May not look as good as MSFS but I can look past it for most of the flight - and if I fancy a visual treat there are still sceneries like FlyTampa's Kai Tak where the approach is breathtaking every time.

P3D Development is drying up but there is still enough to keep it alive for a while yet. The TFDI MD-11 & FSLabs Concorde will be enough to keep me simming on P3D for a few years to come by themselves. And the beauty with P3D is we can still take what we have and enjoy it for years to come without having to worry about them being broken by mandatory updates or servers shutting down!

Well, to give you some support, I will be installing P3Dv.4.5HF3 Pro with AS, GSX, ASCA, UT Live, ProATCx, several PMDG (and other) planes and spent $900+ on ORBX scenery that was on sale.  I basically wanted a complete mature sim setup that wasn't dependent on servers always being active and that I would have available for years to come if need be. And there are plenty of add-ons available.  I will also have XP11/12, too.  I'm still waiting to purchase MSFS when it is in a more finished state.  Right now it just seems too many basic things are just not right with it and I don't want more frustration.

Some people may think I am a fool, but so be it.  I have enjoyed flight-simming for many years and want something I can fall back on for years to come.

• Like 15
  • Upvote 3

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

I think there's a few more people that share your sentiments.That's also a decent sim rig you have there, so enjoy your flights.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

On 8/22/2021 at 1:52 AM, 787flyer said:

I think there's a few more people that share your sentiments.That's also a decent sim rig you have there, so enjoy your flights.

Mark, if that was directed at me...thanks.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

This is what I wrote on the MSFS forum to congratulate MSFS on its one year anniversary and to remind people that there are still people like me who are having an awesome time with the "old and stable" sims.. 

Happy B'day MSFS! 

This is a special day, as I thought last year, that I'll give MSFS one year before I uninstall the other sims and jump in.. but looks like its not ready for primetime yet (esp after SU5 mess).. not a problem.. I understand the growing pains every sim has to go thru.. I will patiently wait until GSX, AIG, PMDG & other big addons are brought in next yr to make it a full fledged sim.. 

In the meantime, I'm having a ball of a time with the old, but stable P3D V5 and XP11.. solid as a rock.. perform great.. all the best addons and aircraft at your disposal.. I'm actually buying some more addons for P3D.. I know, hard to believe.. but, I like the stability they offer and the variety of addons.. and there are no forced upgrades, and everything rests on my SSD for life.. so that's comforting.. 

I will re-assess after 6 months and see if I'm ready to take the plunge, but just wanted to say, quite contrary to popular opinion on MSFS forums - It is okay to enjoy the other sims while you wait.. it doesn't have to be either/or.. plenty of space in my SSD for all 3 sims to coexist into the future.. 🙂

• Like 2

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

I have always been baffled by the people who uninstalled P3D and XP11 in a hurry and jumped lock, stock and barrel into MSFS.. now they're in turbulent waters with no way to return to firm ground.. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Vinod Kumar

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

On 8/22/2021 at 9:55 AM, JNS said:

I basically wanted a complete mature sim setup that wasn't dependent on servers always being active and that I would have available for years to come if need be. And there are plenty of add-ons available. 

my thoughts exactly.. I think P3D 5.2 HF1 has been the best offering from LM so far.. I especially love having EA's lighting coupled with ASP3D weather engine and REX SF textures.. lethal combo.. 

plus I think stability is underrated these days.. whats the point of all that eye candy when the next forced update around the corner is going to wipe everything out?

In P3D, I only fly over ORBX OpenLC regions with the best tubeliners into the best payware airports, with the best AI (thanks AIG) and the best ground services (thanks GSX, VDGS).. you can't beat P3D in widebody/longhaul experience right now.. and that's coming from a guy who loves XP11 !

Edited by vin747
  • Like 6

Vinod Kumar

Hi folks,

I thought I would post an update here because I just discovered there had been a recent update from Orbx on their 3-part OLC Asia series and I know a few folks in this sub-forum had expressed an interest about it.

The update is from a week ago which I totally had missed, probably because I dont frequent their forums that often now since the updates mainly revolve around MSFS.

I thought I would link it here.It includes some of the latest screenshots from a couple of those Parts.

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/209195-progress-in-world-asia/

Anyway, the good news is the development continues on all 3 parts of OLC Asia according to the actual developer.

EDIT: And I should have added that LKPR is being developed by Orbx as well for P3D, but I have not seen any real news about that.

Cheers,

Edited by 787flyer
Added info about LKPR
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

On 8/2/2021 at 10:22 PM, blaunarwal said:

I agree on that. I check Simmarket regularely and new addons for P3D come slower and slower. I still spend too much money for this hobby, because I can still buy addons. I even bought P3D4 addons and installed them, risking they will maybe refuse to work. I don´t think I´ll lose interest in flying P3D because there are no new addons. I started actually flying into airports, I have bought but not visited since or long time ago. I try to fly more with all what I have.

I fear the next big update from LM, since it may brake all my addons one day. I thought about switching to MSFS but as long as I read from people like @alepro21, that he gave up MSFS, I´ll certainly not do that. 

I think most developers are going to FS2020 platform because that's where the market trends are pointing to. I don't want to mentioned the $$ I spent on FS over the years.  Microsoft is appealing to a different generation now that it's release for Xbox. But it's up to you guys where the market trends head. Personally I love PD3  who the pushed the envelope in development when MS close it's doors on flight sim. Now that that the technology has somewhat caught up with the newer hardware, It's a blast to see who will remain standing in the end. But one thing for sure is I won't be flying flight Simulator on a Xbox.

• Like 2

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

XPlane 12 entirely dominated P3D but understandably because P3D was stressed as being focused on the military/defense clients and that's pretty much it. We the (non entertainment) civilian users are pretty much just getting whatever we get after the main drivers of this sim have done their thing.

They did say that since the Air Force is so heavily invested in them they of course will continue, but it really seems like the trend will be for us (non entertainment) civilian users will continue to be to heavily rely on 3rd party suppliers of enhancements in order to make it what we want. Aaaand you can imagine how those 3rd party suppliers are melting away.

We will eventually all move on from P3D and they won't even care because it's not meant for us, really. I totally wish them well but the future is pretty obvious for us who have this as our hobby.

• Like 2

So after the release of the TFDI MD11, Justflight A300, FSlabs Concord and ORBX Asia LC's we'll probably be at end of the line for P3D development as far as simmers are concerned? I'll still be using it as I can't have MSFS as my main driver until GSX, AIG , PMDG, QW etc have themselves comfortably running there. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, FrankSalo said:

So after the release of the TFDI MD11, Justflight A300, FSlabs Concord and ORBX Asia LC's we'll probably be at end of the line for P3D development as far as simmers are concerned? I'll still be using it as I can't have MSFS as my main driver until GSX, AIG , PMDG, QW etc have themselves comfortably running there. 

I'm not saying tomorrow, or next year.. I'm saying this is the eventuality of this sim for the majority. I still use it for PMDG etc, but someday that will not be necessary.

• Like 1