Sign in to follow this  
matrosov

Amazon Polly voices with P2A issues.

Just trying Polly voices for the first time today, all assigned okay and work mostly, but I do get an error box up saying the voice unavailable or some such, I will grab a screen of it next time. close the box and polly voices carry on.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:34 AM, Mark2703 said:

Just trying Polly voices for the first time today, all assigned okay and work mostly, but I do get an error box up saying the voice unavailable or some such, I will grab a screen of it next time. close the box and polly voices carry on.

the error you see is because some of the voices that appear in the P2A dropdown are not available as Neural TTS from aws. I'm not sure how they populate in windows, but its an issue with the plugin from amazon.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:20 AM, jstnj said:

the error you see is because some of the voices that appear in the P2A dropdown are not available as Neural TTS from aws. I'm not sure how they populate in windows, but its an issue with the plugin from amazon.

Thanks, i have just stopped using them, nothing works now, back to MS voices

The Polly voices work fine. Couple things to now:

* depending on the location you picked when registering for Polly, not all voices are available. Don't pick in pilot2atc a voice that is not available!

* sometimes, the voices don't work when launching pilot2atc. (first thing you should do in pilot2atc after launch is go to config,voices and test a polly voice. If there's no sound, keep relaunching pilot2atc until there is. I never had it stop to work mid flight, it's always right when pilot2atc is launched)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Wyatt said:

* sometimes, the voices don't work when launching pilot2atc. (first thing you should do in pilot2atc after launch is go to config,voices and test a polly voice. If there's no sound, keep relaunching pilot2atc until there is. I never had it stop to work mid flight, it's always right when pilot2atc is launched)

Unfortunately, at least for me, it's not just 'sometimes'. Very often I have to keep relaunching P2A 5-6 times until they start working, so considering the time it takes for P2A to start up, I've mostly given up on them too...

Sadly it is variable, I am not prepared to keep restarting P2ATC until it works, I have done the test and they have worked but it has never lasted a complete flight they have always dropped out, lifes too short to worry about it, I have an IVONA voice I bought years ago and use the MS voices.

Cereproc looks good, but for this its a very expensive option.

Edited by Mark2703
spelling

On 3/25/2022 at 5:41 AM, Mark2703 said:

Cereproc looks

Cereproc is top notch in P2A, I have 13 of them and never an issue. Adam is a bit slow speaking but you can increase the speed. The others are all great.

On 3/25/2022 at 10:41 AM, Mark2703 said:

Sadly it is variable, I am not prepared to keep restarting P2ATC until it works, I have done the test and they have worked but it has never lasted a complete flight they have always dropped out, lifes too short to worry about it, I have an IVONA voice I bought years ago and use the MS voices.

Cereproc looks good, but for this its a very expensive option.

I never had Polly voices drop during flight, it either works at launch and will keep working, or won't.

23 hours ago, Johnny Wyatt said:

I never had Polly voices drop during flight, it either works at launch and will keep working, or won't.

That was my experience as well, never drop during flight just had to re-start P2A and test (and repeat) until they worked, then you were good to go.

On 3/30/2022 at 1:32 PM, skypilotYTS said:

That was my experience as well, never drop during flight just had to re-start P2A and test (and repeat) until they worked, then you were good to go.

Yep, this has been my experience also. Once they are working, they continue working for the whole session.

Polly voices seem to be more reliable for me of late, in that they work most of the time and never fail mid-session. Anyone else found this, or am I imagining it? I still haven't found out whether it's possible to speed them up though. To me they sound too slow. 

On 4/3/2022 at 3:10 AM, Burge said:

P0ly voices  are they free

They are free for a year, then you have to pay after so many characters per year but it's a very high number, not sure you'd ever go over it and have to actually pay.

MILLIONS OF CHARACTERS PER MONTH

For Amazon Polly’s Standard voices, the free tier includes 5 million characters per month for speech or Speech Marks requests, for the first 12 months, starting from your first request for speech. For Neural voices, the free tier includes 1 million characters per month for speech or Speech Marks requests, for the first 12 months, starting from your first request for speech.

I use bush talk radio on most flights and I believe that program uses a Polly voice (it is so natural sounding that I thought it was a real person until I heard that voice on Polly) and that program works 100% of the time, never had a issue, ever.

Dave, I wonder if the owner of bush talk radio could give you some insight or tips on how his service is 100% rock solid.

Just a thought 🤨