Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

REALIST ROADS IN FSX? Look Again!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Roads are not great in your shot, but what I find even more disturbing is the lack of scale-consistency between the textures. It appears the "shopping mall + parking" texture is way too smal compared to the "residential neighbour" texture, or the reverse.This spoils down the advantage of XY mm per pixel precision and I've never really noticed this in FSX before.

>It just look like the roads in FSX are not as realistic as>advertised and I hope there will be a 3rd party guru to clean>up this "realistic" roads and align them as they they ought to>be, based on the realistic ones:>That's what happens when accurate residential roads meet generic textures. It's also a problem in FS9 when using something like UT USA and is the reason I like to switch those roads off.

Don't know if there would be a solution for that.Currently..., Data is taken from a database and then a grey paint is smeared on the data points. Even though the data points maybe accurate, its ugly.When I was using Flight1 Roads (later to become Ultimate terrain), it was very very nice at night. Night lighting was accurate... but during day time, it was ugly.Wish some genius would come up with a good solution.Manny

>Exactly where did you take that image shot?Somewhere in the west cost of Italy. I may provide the correct name of the location later.dito

If you press "A" three times (I believe) from the exact position of your screenshot, it will switch to an areal view like in my screenshot.dito

"Wish some genius would come up with a good solution."How nice it would be!dito

Your screenshot is not default FSX, is it? That looks like doctored scenery.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

>Your screenshot is not default FSX, is it? That looks like>doctored scenery.>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD>250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian caseIt is DEFAUT? From outside vew press A three times to get the "OUTSIDE VIEW TOP-DOWN."dito

>It is DEFAUT? From outside vew press A three times to get the>"OUTSIDE VIEW TOP-DOWN."I don't think you understood his question. It looks like you are using 3rd party scenery. Have you installed 3rd party scenery?

It's peobably a function of resolution: with FS9 4.8m resolution misalingment between the vector roads and background urban grid isn't so obvious. Step it up to 1.2m in FSX, and now it is more clear.scott s..

>>It is DEFAUT? From outside vew press A three times to get>the>>"OUTSIDE VIEW TOP-DOWN.">>I don't think you understood his question. It looks like you>are using 3rd party scenery. Have you installed 3rd party>scenery?No, I am NOT using 3rd party scenery.That scenery is DEFAULT.dito

Where was the screenshot taken? What coordinates, or near what city/town? I've tried flying around a handful of different locations on the west coast of Italy and can't find any areas which have that amount of road detail, particularly the minor roads which can be seen in your screenshot.

I agree that looks pretty bad.In FS9, the texture resolution was low enough that realistic roads (such as in the Ultimate Terrain series) looked a bit awkward but not too bad. Now, there is a pretty severe disconnect between the road data textures and the scenery textures. Also notice the way the forest cuts through the houses in your screenshot.With the previous muddier textures, you could suspend disbelief. Now, especially if I fly in areas I am familiar with, the level of detail just shines a light on the inconsistencies with reality. ("Hey, there's not a shopping mall there!")Personally, I'm happy for the greater texture resolution but it is also taking a step away from surreal to real, and other elements of the sim just don't support that detail. When I move to FSX (still on FS9), I will probably fly almost exclusively in areas with good satellite terrain coverage (such as the Generation X package for UK/Wales). That way, you're looking at what exists in reality.

>Where was the screenshot taken? What coordinates, or near>what city/town? I've tried flying around a handful of>different locations on the west coast of Italy and can't find>any areas which have that amount of road detail, particularly>the minor roads which can be seen in your screenshot. Unfortunately I cannot remember exactly where. I did not label the pics with the names of their exact locations (next time I will). But for sure, it is somewhere in Europe I was jumping placed just for a quick exploration. Sorry for that!dito

I'm unsure what addvertisement you speak about. I will say, when I look at your screen shot I reach the opposite conclusion from you...the roads could be completely proper for all I know, the disconnect looks to me to be with the default textures not having a way to protray a road's right of way.Bob

This is what I've said for a long time. The 'real' roads are placed 'on top of' the textures, including the texture roads. The terrain guy should be rewriting the code to draw the 'real' roads first. Then the textures in accordance with these roads. There should not be any texture roads! The autogen houses and trees etc can be drawn around the 'real' roads. Until this happens your going to keep seeing the mess of roads and textures.

>I'm unsure what addvertisement you speak about. I will say,>when I look at your screen shot I reach the opposite>conclusion from you...the roads could be completely proper for>all I know, the disconnect looks to me to be with the default>textures not having a way to protray a road's right of way.>>BobSimply notice that those dark roads do not lign up with the othes and cut through buildings, and so on... That's what I referred to.dito

>This is what I've said for a long time. The 'real' roads are>placed 'on top of' the textures, including the texture roads.>The terrain guy should be rewriting the code to draw the>'real' roads first. Then the textures in accordance with>these roads. There should not be any texture roads! The>autogen houses and trees etc can be drawn around the 'real'>roads. Until this happens your going to keep seeing the mess>of roads and textures.I am not a developer BUT what you just said makes sense to me! Wow, finally another someone who could be hired by the giant company to please us all.dito

>How to switch the GENERIC roads off?>>ditoSorry. I meant I switch off the UT residential roads.

This is a great Idea but one will get problems in areas with bad road data. You could have a city without any roads and only houses!I agree with the fact, that the higher resolution actually makes things worse particularly in this area.In FSX, when looking at the textures one by one they look great, but when they are mixed together they can look very strange and unrealistic. That's something that really bothers me.On the other hand there are regions that look quite nice like the southern part of france.cheers,C.G.

Hi dito.Your observation of the scenery is very good. :)The problem can be solved by using photoreal scenery.BUT....To make photoreal scenery of the entire earth, with the desired accuracy, with monthly textural changes ( yes, it's monthly now for photoreal ), and all the autogen needed, is impossible.Impossible.Maybe in 10 years, such a thing can be done. Our computers do not have the memory capabilities. The actual aerial data does not exist for most of the world, and it is not available for all the monthly variations for any area. Not in the detail ( 1 meter / pixel ) we would desire. And the price? Astronomical!So what you see in the sim are generic ground textures, with an overlay of vector roadways. And they don't match. ================================Another approach would be to have real-time generic texture creation. Water and roads could be vectors, and the gaps between them runtime generated to 'fill' the polys between them with ground type, vegetation and buildings... perhaps according to some huge classification scheme. They could be scaled correctly, and aligned to the roads and water and each other, with decent blending from housing to industry, to shopping, to agricultural. This would also take 10 years to develop in order to have CPUs and Graphics cards and motherboard BUS speeds to do this type of realtime graphic calculation.=================================For now, our imaginations need to take over. This has been true for ALL versions of flight simulator. FSX's terrain display is a type of visual "shorthand". Somewhat accurate roads and water polys help us with navigating the FS world, but they often do not match the ground textures.Photoreal is great for small areas, but sometimes only available for a single season.Dick