Sign in to follow this  
BIGSKY

Warning to Newcomers RE Microsoft Marketplace

First a Thank you to NYX 1819 for this,

Before you purchase add-ons from MS Marketplace!!!!

• Find independent reviews (you shouldn’t have too, but you can’t trust MS to do the right thing)

• Don’t buy products after a sim update or world update until you see they’ve been updated. When updates are release they are posted in #community:news-and-announcements

• Consider buying from a first-party or external third-party store - it pains me to recommend this for so many reasons, but at least the updates can flow quickly

• Like 15
  • Upvote 1

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Some of the best advice I've seen on the forum so far.

I'm not against the concept of the marketplace, In fact I'm all for the things that CAN be.... However in it's current state, You can't rely on it for timely updates.

And with the of all the MSFS updates that have come down the pipe thus far, you can be assured that the plane that you just bought is going to be broken in someway and will require an update from the vendor.   When you get that update in the marketplace is a complete KRAP shoot.  If you buy it from the vendor or third party site you'll know that the update will be yours as soon as they have it ready.

Just reference the Carenado Mooney as a classic example.  Been broken since SU5....even if they fix it today....you won't see it in the marketplace for at least a week.

Edited by Steve Dra
Stupid word not allowed rule at avsim

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Great advise the marketplace is a pain regarding updates

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I have 49 purchased airports stupidly acquired,that don't work,and it is cranking my blood pressure up........

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Always check out the prices from different sellers they do vary, and can be a lot cheaper than the marketplace.

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

There should be a message “compatible with the latest MSFS version” added to each addon in the Marketplace if that has been updated.

So a buyer would know if it is safe or not to buy the addon.

And if a product has not been updated within 2-3 months : remove it from the Markerplace to avoid a lot non-compatible addons…

• Like 12

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Another point:

If you use or intend to use an XBOX for MSFS then ONLY buy from the Marketplace as you cannot use addons from elsewhere. Further your PC Marketplace purchases will be available for XBOX install at no extra cost.

CJ

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BIGSKY said:

I have 49 purchased airports stupidly acquired,that don't work,and it is cranking my blood pressure up........

Totally agree, I have only 15 that don’t work, v poor show. I am v disappointed they have not yet been updated. Will not be buying via Marketplace again.

The marketplace may be slower regarding updates, but not having to regularly run dozens of different updaters from all the different payware vendors is a huge advantage for a lot of people.

• Like 2

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

Agreed - if there were any updates! But there isn’t. At least publishers normally communicate updates fairly quickly. Marketplace? Nothing.

• Like 1

Summary of marketplace pros and cons:

PROS

• one stop shop so you do not need an entire spreadsheet dedicated to listing where you bought everything and where to check for updates
  • some product lines like Asobo and Carenado are marketplace only
  • marketplace items can also be used on your XBox X

CONS

• it is not curated, they just check that the product fits MS rules like no weapons, no install options, the correct sized thumbnail - but do not check for quality or even if it works correctly in game - stores like JF and Orbx have some level of quality control, maybe not enough in some cases but at least it is there, whereas MS has none
  • marketplace items are often cut back versions, for example the G91 from the Orbx Store has a configuration tool to load up all sorts of different historical ordinance and the Orbx G91 can even drop bombs that leave temporary craters in the terrain. The marketplace G91 has this feature removed 
  • some developers simply refuse to use the marketplace at all, or take months to get around to submitting stuff due to the hoops MS make them jump through
  • they do not give an itemised receipt detailing what addon you actually bought, you just get a generic receipt for some amount of flight points
  • the product attaches to your gamer tag and MSFS version (MS vs Steam)  if for some reason your MSFS gets messed up and you decide to repurchase in Steam or MS or just change gamer tags an outside store will probably allow you to transfer your product across to your new install.  MS refuses even if it is the same gamer tag and you simply bought a Steam copy instead of your faulty MS one or visa versa .
  • updates can be slow compared to elsewhere, once a dev submits an update it needs to be rechecked for compliance which apparently can take almost a week and then has to wait for the next "patch Tuesday" to be made available, if MS have issues they send it back to the dev missing the next patch Tuesday and potentially delaying it by another week or more

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

Is it really all that difficult to run a separate updater if you purchase products from individual developers? What did everyone do before the MS marketplace appeared?

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The marketplace is a bit of a mystery to me. It‘s supposed to be one of their main sources of revenue yet it appears like they don‘t really bother making it attractive. The idea that you can buy and update everything easily in-game is intriguing, but the way things stand at the moment I see little reason to buy from the marketplace (unless there‘s a sale). 

• Like 3

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

And another point, the files in the Marketplace are copyprotected by DRM.

That means, if something happend to your account, the files are gone.

Costs me more then 300 bucks at the past, by hacking my account..

Stephan from Germany

My System

4 hours ago, BIGSKY said:

Not good, not good at all

Edited by jbdbow1970