Sign in to follow this  
carbonbasedlifeform

Do people respect Carenado more than they used to?

Before MSFS, I just remember people complaining that Carenado was too casual and just eye candy. Now I am seeing a lot of positive reviews. Has Carenado changed or have reviewers changed?

The only Carenado plane I tried was the 152 for FSX. I couldn't get to into it because the textures were bad, but I don't blame them because it was an old product and it was FSX. A2A had an amazing 182. Should I hold out for an A2A 182?

I was never a fan of their aircraft in previous versions of flight simulators, (been simming for 25 years) but I did bite the bullet and purchased both the Mooney and Seneca, and I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying both, especially the Seneca! However when it comes to their 182, I will not be purchasing as I have no interest in modern glass stuff and prefer steam gauges. Having said that, in my case, I'm waiting to see what A2A puts out.

• Like 2

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I like their aircraft quite a bit more in MSFS than I did in P3D.

• Like 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I like the Seneca (really good for Carenado), and the Mooney and Seminole are good products.

They have gone up slightly in my estimation as they have been updating and listening to people a bit more. Unfortunately, they are developing against the moving target of MSFS.  Their aircraft have been fine at certain stages, but then broken by the sim updates many times.

You just have to understand their business model or you will be disappointed. The visual models are always superb, but systems not always 100% accurate. They are more for the casual simmer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

39 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Before MSFS, I just remember people complaining that Carenado was too casual and just eye candy. Now I am seeing a lot of positive reviews. Has Carenado changed or have reviewers changed?

The only Carenado plane I tried was the 152 for FSX. I couldn't get to into it because the textures were bad, but I don't blame them because it was an old product and it was FSX. A2A had an amazing 182. Should I hold out for an A2A 182?

Carenado's birds in FS2020 are really nice.  Many complain but I love their work in this sim.  I'm hoping for their whole hanger in FS but the releases have been slow going.  Check out their website to see all the aircraft yet to be brought over to FS.  We'd have an impressive collection if it ever happens.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I have the Mooney and Seminole and that's all I'll have from Carenado. Will be supporting devs liike JustFlight, PMDG, Milviz and such as they have made much better products. Lack of fixes and updates from Carenado is another reason I'll be avoiding them.

Edited by booms_sys
  • Upvote 1

What's the first thread I see when I fired up AVSIM? This one. What's the aircraft I've just been flying for an hour? The Carenado Waco! What was I thinking while flying it? "I can't think why there is such a down on Carenado, this is terrific! It looks really, really good, it flies very well, concentrate when taking off and landing (shouldn't you be doing that anyway?)

I found only one thing wrong, you can't assign a button to the tail wheel lock and you need quick access to that when landing. I did raise the point with Carenado and they know about it. And of course it's an Asobo problem! 😲

I reckon there's a lot of faux dissatisfaction with Carenado because it marks people out as superior simmers. 

I've had a load of Carenados in previous sims and I confess I always felt they were 'lifeless' compared with A2A etc. But in MFS....Not so much

2c Keep the change. 🙂 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I'd describe their MSFS products as "perfectly mediocre" up to this point. They tend to look pretty good, fly okay, and since they largely use default MSFS systems, they're about the same level of accuracy as the default aircraft.

Carenado is still trying to do their "one patch, fix some of the glaring flaws, abandon in favor of next release" thing, but since MSFS updates frequently break something important, they've been slightly better about that, but the M20 is still broken (the fuel selector can't be used) over a month after SU5 broke it, and they've had similar delays fixing other broken aircraft from earlier sim updates.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, booms_sys said:

I have the Mooney and Seminole and that's all I'll have from Carenado. Will be supporting devs liike JustFlight, PMDG, Milviz and such as they have made much better products. Lack of fixes and updates from Carenado is another reason I'll be avoiding them.

48 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Do a Google search for "Carenado Mooney Fuel Selector".

14 minutes ago, ndts said:

Carenado is still trying to do their "one patch, fix some of the glaring flaws, abandon in favor of next release" thing, but since MSFS updates frequently break something important, they've been slightly better about that, but the M20 is still broken (the fuel selector can't be used) over a month after SU5 broke it, and they've had similar delays fixing other broken aircraft from earlier sim updates.

What they said. It's the same old, same old business model Carenado's been using since forever. I bought the Mooney but that's as far as I'll go with them unless it gets fixed.

• Like 3

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

2 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Carenado/Alabeo have always been able to do the odd thing which was good long before MSFS was even announced, for example their Diamond Twins are great, their Beech D-18 is great, their Skymaster is excellent and their various crop-dusters are pretty sweet as well, but in spite of this, unfortunately they were also capable of putting out some unflyable eye-candy rubbish too, most notably their appallingly dreadful Cessna C441 Conquest II, which is literally the worst flight simulator aeroplane ever made by anyone and which they had the bare-faced temerity to charge the same price for as the excellent Flysimware one as well.

But with MSFS, they seem to be having a lot more hits than misses, so I'd have to say that they have improved a fair bit on that score. Their Seneca is the best payware GA twin you can get for MSFS and their M20 has a good claim to being the best payware single you can get.

Perhaps more important than the products themselves, is the change we've seen with regard to the speed of their patching for MSFS products. With their previous sim products, waiting for a patch to show up at all was like waiting for a bus to show up in the middle of the Sahara Desert, but with MSFS, they've actually been responding to sim updates pretty well, and that is a definite improvement on their part and one they deserve credit for.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

47 minutes ago, ndts said:

I'd describe their MSFS products as "perfectly mediocre" up to this point.

+1

Except the C182 which is below mediocre.

I can't really consider the word respect when thinking about Carenado, due to the number of aircraft I've bought with them* that have had glaring bugs, that were not updated, then abandoned.   They rush planes out, they have many bugs, they do 1 or 2 patches (that rarely address all of the bugs) then move on.  It's a conveyor belt. Lovely textures, but they never push the boundaries or innovate. Every aircraft is formulaic.  They all (mostly) fly "like a Carenado plane".   I'd pick pretty much any developer before them, but if they release a plane that interests me, that no-one else has developed, I will buy it, and accept the shortcomings.

*across 5 different sims - the first Carenado product I bought was their C182RG in FS9, in 2004.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

32 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

What they said. It's the same old, same old business model Carenado's been using since forever. I bought the Mooney but that's as far as I'll go with them unless it gets fixed.

+1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Unfortunately, I was not as smart as others here and Carenado has my money for the Mooney, the Seminole and the Waco... but not a cent more, unless they get busy about doing the right thing. 

Unfortunately, their track record doesn't inspire confidence, which is a shame as the Mooney and the Waco are truly delightful, and could be superb if either (a) @Carenado cared, or (b) @Asobo demanded that they take care of their mutual customer base in a timely fashion.  Of course that would require (c) @Asobo to do a better job upholding standards AND getting developer updates out in a prompt manner.

Hope springs eternal...

C

• Like 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper