Sign in to follow this  
John Fields

The hotfix update 1.19.9.0 was a nightmare

7 minutes ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Didn't MSFS ask you in which folder to install the update?

Yes, and this is set in the last line of your user.opt file.

So if you do any changes with this user file take care of that last line in there..

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

27 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Why do you need to restart your PC before you go to the store?

You don’t, I just do it so that everything is fresh. Shutting down your pc and turning it back on just hibernates it. So, I always restart before any big update. For Any software. 

• Like 3

The last two updates, including this one, appeared in the program. After I launched MSFS, a screen notified me that there was an update, with a button to select to download and install. Since this was a relatively small update the whole process took just a few minutes. 

Some previous updates did not appear in the program, requiring the nightmare of figuring out where it was in MS Store.  It seems to me that MS/Asobo should settle on one method for releasing updates and I suggest the simplest way is to put the upgrade into the program itself, as it did on the last two. This leads me to want to ask those who tried to get the update from the MS Store and encountered problems - did you try to get the update in the program as well?

• Like 1

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

32 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Not sure what you mean.

I installed every sim update and world update, including yesterday's hotfix without encountering a problem. 

IMHO, the update process is dead simple. 

Just because it's dead simple for you, doesn't mean it works perfectly for everyone else. 

• Like 5

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

WU6 was the first time I had issues updating, couldn't get the update in Store.

Installing the Xbox app and launching it fixed that. 

Had to run the Xbox app to get the download for this hotfix as well. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

3 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

WU6 was the first time I had issues updating, couldn't get the update in Store.

Installing the Xbox app and launching it fixed that. 

Had to run the Xbox app to get the download for this hotfix as well. 

You have to watch you allways have the up to date XBox App on your PC otherwise you could have problems..

cheers 😉

• Upvote 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

51 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

The last two updates, including this one, appeared in the program. After I launched MSFS, a screen notified me that there was an update, with a button to select to download and install. Since this was a relatively small update the whole process took just a few minutes. 

Some previous updates did not appear in the program, requiring the nightmare of figuring out where it was in MS Store.  It seems to me that MS/Asobo should settle on one method for releasing updates and I suggest the simplest way is to put the upgrade into the program itself, as it did on the last two. This leads me to want to ask those who tried to get the update from the MS Store and encountered problems - did you try to get the update in the program as well?

You don't get a choice.  I'm in the same boat (airplane?) as others here... I fire up MSFS, after some initializing a screen comes up and says there's a mandatory update.  When you click "ok" in the dialog on that screen, the MS store opens.  I go into the "downloads and updates" section of the store, click "get updates", and it says there are none.  The store updating mechanism seems to be working as when I first clicked it this morning, another app updated, and there are others in the list that say they were updated yesterday and at other recent times.  Tried rebooting and it changed nothing.

I know there's a way to reset the MS store cache, but when I've done that in the past I've had to re-download the entire game which takes a looooong time.

It's really pathetic that a company with the resources of MS can't make this work more smoothly. 😒

Edit: I used the "send feedback" option in the store to tell them it's not working, and from what I see in feedback hub, a lot of other people are having the same problem.

Edited by ELaw

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Worked perfectly fine here on the MS store. As it always does. 
1.) update is announced.

2.) restart pc.

3.) go to store 

4.) search for updates 

5.) download and install updates .

6.) launch msfs. 

takes 2 mins 

I would add

1.1 - Look for Windows updates and apply as required,

and

5,1 - Rename community directory as old

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

1.) update is announced.

2.) restart pc.

3.) go to store 

4.) search for updates 

6.) launch msfs. 

takes 2 mins 

Absolutely and positively did not work that way for me.  With that sequence MSFS was not showing in my updates drop down or anywhere else.  After multiple attempts I went to the MS store again and LOGGED OUT!.  Walla!  Note logged out!  Typing logged out here is not a mistake.  Then and only then did the dropdown include the MSFS update.  I intended to log out and log back in to see if that worked.  Mysteriously did not need to log back in. Just logging out worked!  I would place a bet right now that the next time there is an update that it will then work in a different way.

One issue with Microsoft in general is their refusal to allow customers (referred to by MS as Users) to manage accounts.  To consolidate them.  I have no idea how many Microsoft accounts I have accumulated over just the past 20+ years.  Have an issue with MS Word in 2002.  Am I registered with support?  OK. Register!  Fast forward to say 2006.  Oh no.  Having trouble installing Office 2005.  Oh word not allowed!  What was that MS support registration from 2002?  Oh well. Create another, get support.  Fast forward to say 2010.....  and on and on.  When they are spread apart like that and perhaps each time it is for a different computer.  Fine.  I understand.  Let me identify each of them and contact MS to consolidate them into one account....  Not allowed!

My take on what happened to me with the hotfix is that when I arrived at the MS store it auto-logged me in with one account, perhaps for my Windows 10 and Office 2016.  But when I purchased MSFS a year ago it seemed to want me to create a fresh account.  I did.  Now when arriving at xBox, flightsimulator.com, or the MS Store there are a number of ways or accounts, accumulated over the years, that I could log in with.  I can identify at least four.  And I have occasions when I attempt to log out of one (Office) and into another (MSFS/xBox) I find there is a barrier.  When I attempt to log back in with a different account I experience difficulty.  

I attempted to contact MS last December to consolidate any and all MS accounts into one.  Was not allowed.

I am betting that the difference between Steam and MS Store experience with updates is rooted in this issue of accounts!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, John Fields said:

At the end, I had no choice but to uninstall MSFS and reinstall it.

That wasn’t your only choice. Unless it deleted your old data.

1.) update is announced.

2.) restart pc.

3.) go to store 

4.) search for updates 

6.) launch msfs. 

takes 2 mins 

This is my procedure as well.  I also wait till the next day to perform the update after it has been posted.  Never once had an issue.  Everyone with issues just take a chill pill and wait it out.  Find something else to do for a day.

Matt Wilson

2 minutes ago, fppilot said:

But when I purchased MSFS a year ago it seemed to want me to create a fresh account.

That doesn’t make any sense. That shouldn’t have been needed at all. Any Microsoft account would have worked.

1 hour ago, Ixoye said:

I think you are right, server issues are the only explanation, if I had the MS version I would have to wait to update for a couple of hours to avoid this mess.

Could be the servers. I don't think I was in the first wave for the 1.19.9.0 update. MS Store immediately found the update but still sat there at "pending" for a long time before starting the download. I most always think it's the company (in this case Microsoft) looking thru my computer to see what I've been doing. Yes, that's paranoia.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

7 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

Yes, that's paranoia.

You know what they say, its not because I am a paranoid that they are not out to get me 😨

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

No issues here with the steam version.

It’s a similar update process, steam updates the core files like the MS Store version does, then you launch and update it in the sim itself.

But no need for the Xbox app or anything.