Sign in to follow this  
Bunchy

Will 3080Ti maintain 30FPS at 4k Ultra setting?

6 hours ago, Bunchy said:

Thank you Paul.

I'm sold. My only issue is the 4k monitor size. I'll struggle to fit even a 43" in the space I have, then there's the consideration of how close I'll be sitting to it.

It's looking like a 32"  is most likely going to be the answer.

Stu

Bear in mind multi monitor support is imminent - they are already testing it

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

8 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Bear in mind multi monitor support is imminent - they are already testing it

Are they?  Where did you get this info? 

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

As a bit of a reference, Stu - (and you may already know this), the 43" LG is actually 38" wide . It sits at 29" from my eyes, with a TIR4 sitting at top center. I also concur with Ian on the UltraGear - it's my choice too: if you can find a way to wedge it in - go for it - you'll not regret it!

How tall is it, desk to top of monitor? Does the stand allow height adjustment?

I'm glad I have a track saw and domino jointer, looks like I might be making some 'stubby' wall units!

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Aaahhh...  cabinet maker as well as a sim pilot!   

Well - this LG (43UD79b) is a 22" tall screen, Stu, the base does have a 5 - ~10 degree tilt, but no height adjustment. On a 30" tall table the bottom of the screen is 3-1/4" from the table. My seat (from a Nissan Versa) is ~19", so it's not bad - I've used the monitor without the stand, but that makes it not very flexible when you're fiddling with speakers and the like. I does the job for me, at a full 4k, and useable at 4k. However - it doesn't hold a candle to the LG UltraGear that Ian recommended.

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Get a monitor with vesa, then just get a vesa desk mount off Amazon for £30-40 ish. No need for monitor stand getting in the way then 

• Like 2

Well, I swapped out my 3090 for a 3080 since I got one for a "reasonable" price, and figured I could make some money on the used market with my 3090. 

To be honest, I don't notice frame rates much if it's above 30 on ground or above 45 in the air. On a proper G-Sync monitor it just feels fluid. I usually get around 45-55 fps on the ground and 65-85 fps in the air on my 3440x1440 G-Sync monitor, which I've hardware capped at 90 Hz. 

So I opened up GPU-Z and looked at the readings there for a few flights in dense areas. Power draw, VRAM usage and Temperatures.

There was zero difference in my perception of how the game felt. It felt just a good on both GPUs. 

What I did notice however, was that the 3080 runs cooler than my 3090 did. About 7 C on average. Power draw was about 50 W less on the 3080. The 3080 VRAM usage kept fluctuating between 8000 and 9500 MB through my flight across Los Angeles. On the same flight with same settings, my 3090 would be at around 12500 MB VRAM usage.

I did not notice any difference in how fluid the sim felt, even when panning around with a TrackIR. 

I did however send the 3080 back and kept my 3090 after some serious consideration. And it's not about how the sim performed today, it was absolutely great with both GPUs. It was about my thoughts about VRAM usage in the future, with even more complex scenery and addons. 

Edited by Republic3D
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

12 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

It was about my thoughts about VRAM usage in the future, with even more complex scenery and addons. 

Smart choice, especially if you plan to upgrade to 4-5K in the future.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Just now, Ixoye said:

Smart choice, especially if you plan to upgrade to 4-5K in the future.

This thread is certainly making me want that LG-C1 monitor. But I want more immersion, so I'm also considering the Samsung G9 that wraps around you. I've heard various things about the quality of it though. And it might not be as good when it comes to work, as I work from home. Hmmm 🤔

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S

1 hour ago, Republic3D said:

This thread is certainly making me want that LG-C1 monitor. But I want more immersion, so I'm also considering the Samsung G9 that wraps around you. I've heard various things about the quality of it though. And it might not be as good when it comes to work, as I work from home. Hmmm 🤔

I did this with a LG-C1, couple of touch and a LG ultra gear next to it. 

5-DB4-F519-4407-483-D-887-A-541728-F88-C

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

5-DB4-F519-4407-483-D-887-A-541728-F88-C

That looks great! Very clean setup even though you have a lot of peripherals. 

Do you have maps and instruments on the touch screens?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

That looks great! Very clean setup even though you have a lot of peripherals. 

Do you have maps and instruments on the touch screens?

Sometimes I use air manager and have the G1000 on both screens. It’s got the knobster too, so I can fly without using the mouse for anything at all. 
Other times I just stick maps on it etc… 

This is why I wish they would fix the fps hit when popping out instruments etc… 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Sometimes I use air manager and have the G1000 on both screens. It’s got the knobster too, so I can fly without using the mouse for anything at all. 
Other times I just stick maps on it etc… 

This is why I wish they would fix the fps hit when popping out instruments etc… 

Ah I understand. That sounds amazing, using the sim without clicking stuff with the mouse. 

I have a 27" 2560x1440 side monitor and a 34" 3440x1440 main monitor, so they're basically the same physical height. I use the side monitor for maps, weather and all that stuff. But I have to keep my desk relatively clean since I don't have a dedicated sim computer.

• Like 1

Just now, Republic3D said:

Ah I understand. That sounds amazing, using the sim without clicking stuff with the mouse. 

I have a 27" 2560x1440 side monitor and a 34" 3440x1440 main monitor, so they're basically the same physical height. I use the side monitor for maps, weather and all that stuff. But I have to keep my desk relatively clean since I don't have a dedicated sim computer.

Yeah, it’s pretty immersive. Especially being able to control the gps via a proper control. That’s the main Bonus. 
I too use the monitor on the left for charts and little nav map etc sometimes.

It does take a large chunk of space, but it’s in my office for now, so, not so bad. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I thought you opted for teh LG G1?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just now, captain420 said:

I thought you opted for teh LG G1?

Changed it, was too far away implanted on the wall, and the cost ratio wasn’t worth it. So, I stuck it on the living room wall, and switched for a C1 in the office. And stuck it on a stand that I can move around and adjust height etc….