Sign in to follow this  
Bunchy

Will 3080Ti maintain 30FPS at 4k Ultra setting?

9 hours ago, Noel said:

Bruce--just depends on where you are happy setting LOD primarily.  If you're fine at 200, you'll rarely even get to 9Gb in the most complex of settings.  People will cite seeing 16Gb of VRAM in use, but sure just keep increasing LOD but the problem there is you can't see it that far out anyway, so that's a total waste.  The raw processing power is essentially identical to 3080Ti.  So you are paying $800 plus for 12Gb that will rarely if ever see an electron, and then there's the raw 7lb+ of weight hanging on the mounting hardware for 3090, and its prodigious size, all to house the tiny 12Gb of VRAM.  Now if 3090's raw power was a good 20+% greater than 3080Ti, I could see it, but unfortunately it isn't.   I'm at LOD-Objects at 300, LOD-Terrain at 400, and the highest on record for me it 10.9Gb--but most of the time is' around 8.5Gb at these settings.  Keep in mind MSFS is also tailored or XBox SX which only has ~10Gb of VRAM to exploit the rest is used as System ram in some capacity is my understanding.  Render Scaling primarily impacts GPU utilization numbers, not VRAM.  I have RS at 130 for my 3440x1440 display and it all looks fabulous.

8 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

And MSFS will use system ram (32gig here) if it needs more VRAM.

Cheers

bs

Thanks guys.  I was really word not allowed when my installer gave me the bad news that the 3090 was US as I knew that my retailer would probably just give me a refund as they didn't have stock of the card I bought and I would not obtain an equivalent card at the price I paid. 

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

16 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

I just have to ask, Ian

how many power watts are you drawing & at what temperature is your GPU at 100%?

I have a 3080ti which I've undervolted and it holds 1900mhz at around 275W and stays around 70c while playing MSFS. On warmer days I have lowered the voltage and clock a tad with minimal performance loss.  

• Like 1

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

8 hours ago, vrdubin6 said:

I have a 3080ti which I've undervolted and it holds 1900mhz at around 275W and stays around 70c while playing MSFS. On warmer days I have lowered the voltage and clock a tad with minimal performance loss.  

Could you give me some figures on this please (voltage).  And what make?  Mine is an EVGA.  At least it will give me an idea of where to start.

I run my 3080Ti at 30 fps currently as I can't quite reach 60 FPS anyway, so I am thinking to run it slightly cooler.  It will still rip through MSFS at 30 FPS, so I might as well save a bit of energy and heat.  My little computer room was getting up to 31C recently due to the 3080Ti in MSFS.  It's like a little fan heater! :smile:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Could you give me some figures on this please (voltage).  And what make?  Mine is an EVGA.  At least it will give me an idea of where to start.

I run my 3080Ti at 30 fps currently as I can't quite reach 60 FPS anyway, so I am thinking to run it slightly cooler.  It will still rip through MSFS at 30 FPS, so I might as well save a bit of energy and heat.  My little computer room was getting up to 31C recently due to the 3080Ti in MSFS.  It's like a little fan heater! :smile:

I'm at this office right now but I think it's around .85v or a tad less to hold 1900mhz without issue. This is on a FE card. Taking it down to closer to .75v to hold 1750mhz is a negligible difference in performance and only pulls about 200W from what I remember. 

This is a great guide and can be used for the 3080Ti just fine. It should give you a good baseline to start with.

• Like 1

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

20 minutes ago, vrdubin6 said:

I'm at this office right now but I think it's around .85v or a tad less to hold 1900mhz without issue. This is on a FE card. Taking it down to closer to .75v to hold 1750mhz is a negligible difference in performance and only pulls about 200W from what I remember. 

This is a great guide and can be used for the 3080Ti just fine. It should give you a good baseline to start with.

Superb - Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Offtopic, what an inefficient piece of hardware, in Watts terms I mean. Still a long way to go.

1 hour ago, zalox said:

Offtopic, what an inefficient piece of hardware, in Watts terms I mean. Still a long way to go.

Our brains make up about 2% of total body weight and yet consume 20% of calories--processing information is hugely energy-intensive!  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Our brains make up about 2% of total body weight and yet consume 20% of calories--processing information is hugely energy-intensive!

...another thing that converts a lot of energy into hot air 😁

• Like 1