Sign in to follow this  
Bunchy

Will 3080Ti maintain 30FPS at 4k Ultra setting?

29 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Would it be worth me selling my msi lightning z 1080ti for a 3070ti?

wanting the 3090 but the price tag is just appalling.

cheers

mike

As Republic says, probably not quite worth it yet, and less VRAM in the 3070.  DX12 is coming, and it used more VRAM in P3D, so not sure if MSFS will follow this.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

From Canada Computers, Ontario:
LG 38" 38GL950G-B UltraGear Nano IPS 1ms Curved Gaming Monitor(Open Box)

Brand: LG
Open Box
$2,114.99
or

• Like 1

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

15 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Open Box
$2,114.99
or

Thats the one. I got one on UK in lockdown for £1499.99

• Like 1

Hmmph. Tie that monitor in with a 3080Ti, and then making the 4790K/32gig./ASUS Hero VII mobo existing system to be compatible with Windows 11 . . . . . . How much??    It begins to push this hobby out of reach of many members reading this.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 1

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

15 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Hmmph. Tie that monitor in with a 3080Ti, and then making the 4790K/32gig./ASUS Hero VII mobo existing system to be compatible with Windows 11 . . . . . . How much??    It begins to push this hobby out of reach of many members reading this.

Plenty of other options

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Edited by psolk
  • Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

52 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Thats the one. I got one on UK in lockdown for £1499.99

LOL !

Even if i could i would never.. No judgement at all though !!.. If you got it spend it but that champagne vintage is out of my reach hehe

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

20 minutes ago, Maxis said:

LOL !

Even if i could i would never.. No judgement at all though !!.. If you got it spend it but that champagne vintage is out of my reach hehe

The way I look at it in the past 20 years of simming I've upgraded my systems probably 10 times although it's gradually gotten less and less over the years. Can't count the times I've invested in a new GPU for 3-5% gain over the years LOL.    Over the same period I upgraded my monitors 3 times.  Now there is a monitor that can actually prolong and offset the need for a full system upgrade or even GPU upgrade and get you smooth performance at virtually any FPS even as more demanding situations are thrown at an existing system.  It used to be the monitor was just the display now it's got compute capabilities built in...   For me even with a G-Sync compatible it's meant I haven't had to fork out for a 3080ti or 3090 until I can find one for MSRP and my 2080 is more than adequate.

That's powerful (but expensive) technology.  It's like owning a 2 year old car and then the dealer tells you that for a few thousand it can perform just as well as the newest model.  Yep, it's a costly investment but less than a new car 🙂  

Edited by psolk
  • Like 4

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Crossed posts here, Paul, but replying to "Plenty of other options..."  well, yes - it's a biggish-looking list for sure, but we're talking 4k and G-Sync, I don't want a 27"  2560 x 1440: I already have that - and a 3840 x 2160 at 43",  but in that "G-Sync-only" range of 70-75, it narrows down: 3840 x 2160 (25 or so), IPS for a panel (about 20)..HDR..is nice.(8 or 9). I like ASUS (12)  43" would be good. .Only one comes close - the LG 38" and even it's not a 'true' 4k,  so... it's ~$2200 / £1500 to get better than I have already.  
Added by edit:
I like your post above, as it hits the nail, but Windows 11 will knock my machine sideways - and a lot of others too, I suspect: It just depends where and how far MS/Asobo et al will go.with regard to backward compatibility.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, psolk said:

The way I look at it in the past 20 years of simming I've upgraded my systems probably 10 times although it's gradually gotten less and less over the years. Can't count the times I've invested in a new GPU for 3-5% gain over the years LOL.    Over the same period I upgraded my monitors 3 times.  Now there is a monitor that can actually prolong and offset the need for a full system upgrade or even GPU upgrade and get you smooth performance at virtually any FPS even as more demanding situations are thrown at an existing system.  It used to be the monitor was just the display now it's got compute capabilities built in...  

That's powerful (but expensive) technology.  It's like owning a 2 year old car and then the dealer tells you that for a few thousand it can perform just as well as the newest model.  Yep, it's a costly investment but less than a new car 🙂  

For me i usually go with the best available with a demonstrated value for money. Theres a point where tech is scaled up price wise and the price performance changes makes sense at the stated MSRP in a normal market (example RTX3080/6800XT/ ROG Strix boards 5900x at MSRP) then there are the "Halo" products....(RTX 3090/6900xt / ROG Crosshair/ 5950x). Whats most important for me is if i can get that tech eventually without paying the halo fee. In the case of TV's and monitors my experience is that the tech gets transferred down in a decent fashion to a more appropriate price point later on so i can wait.

Of course in these times all the above has gone out the window due to the great resource shortage but i try to apply that perf/value proposition where i still can. And i mitigate the cost by keeping my stuff in good working order and selling when appropriate add  a little more funds and obtain the best price/performance item from the latest gen so i don't fall too far behind.

However i just cannot justify the "Halo" product. But i don't envy the person that gets it.

But back to topic. don't want to be the one to derail.

Cheers

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

14 minutes ago, Maxis said:

For me i usually go with the best available with a demonstrated value for money. Theres a point where tech is scaled up price wise and the price performance changes makes sense at the stated MSRP in a normal market (example RTX3080/6800XT/ ROG Strix boards 5900x at MSRP) then there are the "Halo" products....(RTX 3090/6900xt / ROG Crosshair/ 5950x). Whats most important for me is if i can get that tech eventually without paying the halo fee. In the case of TV's and monitors my experience is that the tech gets transferred down in a decent fashion to a more appropriate price point later on so i can wait.

Of course in these times all the above has gone out the window due to the great resource shortage but i try to apply that perf/value proposition where i still can. And i mitigate the cost by keeping my stuff in good working order and selling when appropriate add  a little more funds and obtain the best price/performance item from the latest gen so i don't fall too far behind.

However i just cannot justify the "Halo" product. But i don't envy the person that gets it.

Cheers

Agree with everything you said right up until the point my impulsivity overwhelms my practicality + willpower combined and i begin to skew perspective to justify my own agenda 😅

My wife says I can even mind manipulate my own Dr's to get them to say what I want to hear LOL 

OK, back on topic.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Just now, psolk said:

Agree with everything you said right up until the point my impulsivity overwhelms my practicality + willpower combined and i begin to skew perspective to justify my own agenda 😅

My wife says I can even mind manipulate my own Dr's to get them to say what I want to hear LOL 

OK, back on topic.  

Hey it happens LOL Guilty on a few of those.. It usually works out though so i hear ya!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maxis said:

Cheers

I agree with you, I usually go for the second best and get 90% of the performance of the absolute best, but at a significantly lower price. 

R9 5900X instead of 5950X
3600 MHz memory instead of 3800 or 4000.
... but when it comes to GPU, I tried getting hold of a 3080 for months. They promised us more cards, but the only thing that happened was the prices increased and the availability still sucked. So I bit the bullet and bought a 3090, planning to sell it when I got a 3080. I managed to get one just a few weeks ago, but at twice the price of MSRP. So I kept my 3090.

And I also sell most of my used stuff whenever I upgrade. It's mindboggling how many people just shove their old stuff in the closet and then their wife throws it away sometime in the future. lol

Edited by Republic3D
  • Like 2

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

1 hour ago, Republic3D said:

It's mindboggling how many people just shove their old stuff in the closet and then their wife throws it away sometime in the future. lol

HA!  You got my number!

• Like 1

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

7 hours ago, Paul J said:

Open Box
$2,114.99
or

I'd still go with the 48" LG C1 OLED (and I did 😁). Incredible @ 4K 120hz HDR with g-sync support...MSFS is absolutely UNREAL on this display.

BTW, if you haggle, you can get Black Friday pricing on these as it's close enough.

9 minutes ago, DylanM said:

I'd still go with the 48" LG C1 OLED (and I did 😁). Incredible @ 4K 120hz HDR with g-sync support...MSFS is absolutely UNREAL on this display.

the C1 is one of the best for sure, (that was my other choice)

just pointing out that the Samsung QN90A is also a unit to consider with excellent brightness, colour volume, great HDR experience & with no image burn-in problem,

all this gives a wonderful VRR experience with MFS today…

• Like 1