Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Disable Gamma correction for better AA and less shimmering

Guys & girls according to the Nvidia Control Panel Help App this is an OpenGL setting only - I presume MSFS isn't Open GL but am happy to be corrected.

Quote: "Antialiasing - Gamma correction allows you to enable or disable gamma correction antialiasing to improve the color and quality of 3D images in OpenGL programs"

Cheers

Si

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Simonslj1 said:

Guys & girls according to the Nvidia Control Panel Help App this is an OpenGL setting only - I presume MSFS isn't Open GL but am happy to be corrected.

Quote: "Antialiasing - Gamma correction allows you to enable or disable gamma correction antialiasing to improve the color and quality of 3D images in OpenGL programs"

Cheers

Si

So another " Placebo " fix...LOL

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

So this setting has no effect in MSFS then? Then why are people here reporting that they see a difference? MSFS is not OpenGL?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just now, captain420 said:

So this setting has no effect in MSFS then? Then why are people here reporting that they see a difference? MSFS is not OpenGL?

It's like Doctor John's Super Elixir.🙄

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Simonslj1 said:

Lots of people have observed it also affects D3D. I can promise it affects my experience, quite noticeably:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/127319/mistakes-in-nvidia-control-panel-antialiasing-ga/

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

44 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

So another " Placebo " fix...LOL

Not necessarily. The implication is that the setting's intended use is to improve OpenGL games -- but that doesn't mean that it won't have an (possibly/probably adverse) effect on some other games if left on. Some people think it's a case of poor wording. AnandTech tested the setting with HalfLife 2, I think it was, which is a Direct 3D game, not open GL, and it negatively affected the graphics. Others in NVIDIA forums have tested it on other non-OpenGL games and have seen a change in quality.

So, it may improve OpenGL games because of the way they work in conjunction with that setting, but the GPU/driver is still potentially trying to do something with the graphics regardless of what rendering engine it's applied to.

I haven't personally tried it yet, but I'll see what happens, if anything.

2 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Not necessarily. The implication is that the setting's intended use is to improve OpenGL games -- but that doesn't mean that it won't have an (possibly/probably adverse) effect on some other games if left on. Some people think it's a case of poor wording. AnandTech tested the setting with HalfLife 2, I think it was, which is a Direct 3D game, not open GL, and it negatively affected the graphics. Others in NVIDIA forums have tested it on other non-OpenGL games and have seen a change in quality.

So, it may improve OpenGL games because of the way they work in conjunction with that setting, but the GPU/driver is still potentially trying to do something with the graphics regardless of what rendering engine it's applied to.

I haven't personally tried it yet, but I'll see what happens, if anything.

Well I have tried it, and I thought it helped, but after reading the post, I started to think maybe I "imagined" an improvement. I am going to leave it off anyway. 

11 hours ago, GaryK said:

Think this is one for the youngsters and those with very good eyesight.🙂

Tried it but at 64yrs I'm not noticing any discernable (by me) difference.

As it probably means the graphics card is relieved of some burden I think I'll leave it off anyway.👍

I'm not noticing a difference either.... I'm almost half your age hehe.  Maybe it's my 2K monitor.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

7 hours ago, cianpars said:

Looks like a good for some but not for others setting.  I turned mine off and haven't noticed any difference.

Same here, didn't notice any difference.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

7 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm not noticing a difference either.... I'm almost half your age hehe.  Maybe it's my 2K monitor.

Yeah, I’m wondering if it might only be noticeable on bigger panels / higher resolutions.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I'm running on a 55 inch 4K screen and don't notice a difference with the setting off. Will have to do some more comparisons.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I have XPlane installed so used an online FOV calculator to set the correct FOV.  I then loaded MSFS and changed the zoom setting until the view from the same position in both sims matched.

I also have (and still enjoy) XP11. Do you have a link for that FOV tool? I'd like to tweak my MSFS - particularly the landing view.

Edited by Adamski_NZ

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Everyone's system is different, I believe we'll have to  wait till Asobo deals with it, but what's generally thought of as best settings in Nvidia Control Panel, to help with bad AA and shimmering ?

11 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

I also have (and still enjoy) XP11. Do you have a link for that FOV tool? I'd like to tweak my MSFS - particularly the landing view.

I use this one made by AndyF

I placed an aircraft in XPlane at a parking spot at an airfield with lots of buildings.  I set the FOV as calculated by the FOV tool.  I then placed an aircraft in exactly the same spot in MSFS and adjusted the zoom tool until the view matched XPlane - in my case it was a zoom of 0.80 in MSFS.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home