Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Disable Gamma correction for better AA and less shimmering

4 minutes ago, jymp said:

Everyone's system is different, I believe we'll have to  wait till Asobo deals with it, but what's generally thought of as best settings in Nvidia Control Panel, to help with bad AA and shimmering ?

Start by setting your FOV (zoom) in MSFS correctly, so objects are at the correct size and distance from you.  Turn off Gamma Correction too.  For me, this has greatly reduced shimmering.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

What's a good starting point for the FOV in the virtual cockpit?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I'm referring to the external graphics, aircraft, runways etc., cockpits look fine

22 minutes ago, captain420 said:

What's a good starting point for the FOV in the virtual cockpit?

FOV in any application should already be correct in VR - the resolution and distance to eye are known quantities in VR.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

So another " Placebo " fix...LOL

No, not a placebo - I can see a reduction in shimmering, especially in the trees.  As in a lot of settings, each system is different.

4 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I use this one made by AndyF

I placed an aircraft in XPlane at a parking spot at an airfield with lots of buildings.  I set the FOV as calculated by the FOV tool.  I then placed an aircraft in exactly the same spot in MSFS and adjusted the zoom tool until the view matched XPlane - in my case it was a zoom of 0.80 in MSFS.

Great - many thanks. As a matter of interest, what was your default FOV in XP11? Mine is 60 degrees.

UPDATE: I found that, for myu 1920*1200 monitor (width 52cm and viewing distance of 60cm) the calculated FOV was 40h. I set up a comparison shot in XP11 and MSFS and found I needed a zoom of 72% to replicate the view in XP11.

Edited by Adamski_NZ

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I also had a CTD in the CJ4 with this setting OFF.  I flew the same route to verify with it ON (as it was) and no issues.  Not sure why it would cause a CTD but it did for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

8 hours ago, Simonslj1 said:

Guys & girls according to the Nvidia Control Panel Help App this is an OpenGL setting only - I presume MSFS isn't Open GL but am happy to be corrected.

Quote: "Antialiasing - Gamma correction allows you to enable or disable gamma correction antialiasing to improve the color and quality of 3D images in OpenGL programs"

Cheers

Si

Nope, that caption is wrong.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/127319/mistakes-in-nvidia-control-panel-antialiasing-ga/

These "false texts" have been included in every driver release since I can remember and I'm really surprised it hasn't been corrected. Judging from this, one could draw their own conclusions as to how much (or how little) attention NVIDIA really dedicates to driver development. First off, the topic of "Antialiasing - Gamma Correction". The informational text provided by the NVIDIA control panel states that this setting only applies to OpenGL applications. This is false. Refer to this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2116/12

As you can see from the above linked article, "Antialiasing - Gamma Correction" is being applied to Half-Life 2, which is a Direct3D application.

Where did you read that it's only for OpenGL? In my settings screen it doesn't mention OpenGL at all.

image.png

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

14 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm not noticing a difference either.... I'm almost half your age hehe.  Maybe it's my 2K monitor.

Enjoy🙂

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

On 10/10/2021 at 10:41 PM, Bert Pieke said:

This is a very confusing setting, Anti Aliasing and Gamma correction are entirely different things, NVIDIA seem to be inventing terminology

Edited by Pathfinder633

1 minute ago, Pathfinder633 said:

What are you talking about? AA= Anti Aliasing which has absolutely nothing to do with Gamma

Just read the nvidia description in the Control Panel... look a few posts back..

• Like 1

Bert

12 minutes ago, Pathfinder633 said:

This is a very confusing setting, Anti Aliasing and Gamma correction are entirely different things, NVIDIA seem to be inventing terminology

Quoting:

Antialiasing Gamma Correction:

Antialiasing Gamma Correction refers to the correction of brightness values within an AA enhanced image. Setting this on and off has no performance impact but has an effect on the brightness of some antialiased textures.

Bert

Makes no sense, why not just call it gamma correction period? (as it used to be called), its not as if anyone turns of AA so its basically applied to everything anyway.

I am convinced that the shimmering is greatly reduced with this suggestion. 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310