Sign in to follow this  
JGregory

Xp 12 Update

7 minutes ago, rka said:

I mean actually it proves mine that it was possible in 2020

No, because its not a real time video, flying at that quality would give maybe 4 or 5 fps on the XP version/PC it was running on.

The way videos like that are made, is you record a replay at low graphics settings, then replay it at max settings with all the reshade plugins enabled and with xplanes AVI record enabled, the AVI then has that flight recorded at 60fps regardless of how long it takes for each frame to render - the same way movie CGI works (except generally each frame in movie CGI takes hours/days to render).

LR dont make their demos this way, what you see them put out is what they know you can run (although not necessarily all at the same time yet....), less reputable developers however make a habit of it:

AutoATC Developer

9 minutes ago, mSparks said:

No, because its not a real time video, flying at that quality would give maybe 4 or 5 fps on the XP version/PC it was running on.

The way videos like that are made, is you record a replay at low graphics settings, then replay it at max settings with all the reshade plugins enabled and with xplanes AVI record enabled, the AVI then has that flight recorded at 60fps regardless of how long it takes for each frame to render - the same way movie CGI works (except generally each frame in movie CGI takes hours/days to render).

LR dont make their demos this way, what you see them put out is what they know you can run (although not necessarily all at the same time yet....), less reputable developers however

Alright, got it. I really think you should give MSFS in VR another try.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

10 minutes ago, rka said:

Alright, got it. I really think you should give MSFS in VR another try.

If/when they actually get a realistic helicopter simulation done I may be interested :p, but I highly suspect I'll have XP12 up and running first, at which point the cost of buying a copy of windows, and the time sink and disk space getting it set up just wouldn't be worth it. We do have a win10 laptop with an RTX3050 in the house now, but that's never going to serve my simming needs, $200+ or whatever to get almost as good as I have now just isn't that exciting to me.

• Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

Day two on free-open-source-technology (Linux + POP-OS), love it!!!!! One of my favorite features is tiling apps! Tab stacks and workspaces are really cool too!

If you have not tried one of the Linux distros, you are missing out! Linux is the future of PC! Especially as Valve continues to push SteamOS.

I am going to try downloading MSFS  tonight.

"Well, a bit later and here we go, it actually works quite well on Linux 🙂 Only thing that does not work atm is multiplayer server connection. I even get about the same framerate as on windows. It's also as easy as installing from Steam (maybe changing steamplay version to proton experimental) and hitting launch."

Bill Gates at the helm of Microsoft lost 75% of their user base since 2002. Where did everybody go? Apple, Google-Android. Blue Screen of Death. Now he wants to take control of our body Operating System, MRNA...

We need a Linux forum at AVSIM.

Edited by strider1
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

1 hour ago, strider1 said:

Day two on free-open-source-technology (Linux + POP-OS), love it!!!!! One of my favorite features is tiling apps! Tab stacks and workspaces is really cool too!

If you have not tried one of the Linux distros, you are missing out! Linux is the future of PC! Especially as Valve continues to push SteamOS.

I am going to try downloading MSFS  tonight.

"Well, a bit later and here we go, it actually works quite well on Linux 🙂 Only thing that does not work atm is multiplayer server connection. I even get about the same framerate as on windows. It's also as easy as installing from Steam (maybe changing steamplay version to proton experimental) and hitting launch."

Bill Gates at the helm of Microsoft lost 75% of their user base since 2002. Where did everybody go? Apple, Google-Android. Blue Screen of Death. Now he wants to take control of our body Operating System, MRNA...

We need a Linux forum at AVSIM.

Hmm.. interesting. I think I'll try this POP OS before Win11 is forced upon me. I presume you mean MSFS from Steam?

3 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Hmm.. interesting. I think I'll try this POP OS before Win11 is forced upon me. I presume you mean MSFS from Steam?

Yes the steam version of MSFS. I do not think MSFS from the windows store would work.

It's really easy to install and it's very windows like but better!

You can dual boot Windows and Linux/OS. You can use a spare drive or partition a drive with windows on it. 

You need a flash drive of 2GB+ or spare usb drive to flash the iso. In my case I used my Sony Camera with the internal SD card since I did not have a flash drive. To my surprise it worked like a charm! 

Anyways here a great beginner tutorial!

• Upvote 1

Eric Escobar

We need to break free from Silicon Valley and their tech monopoly/control! They are moving full speed ahead with AI and Robotics.... Terminator was creepy movie!   

• Upvote 1

Eric Escobar

3 hours ago, strider1 said:

Yes the steam version of MSFS. I do not think MSFS from the windows store would work.

It's really easy to install and it's very windows like but better!

You can dual boot Windows and Linux/OS. You can use a spare drive or partition a drive with windows on it. 

You need a flash drive of 2GB+ or spare usb drive to flash the iso. In my case I used my Sony Camera with the internal SD card since I did not have a flash drive. To my surprise it worked like a charm! 

Thanks. Video was very helpful. I'm going to turn off Secure Boot and give it a go on Sunday.

40 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Thanks. Video was very helpful. I'm going to turn off Secure Boot and give it a go on Sunday.

You wont be disappointed! Linux has rekindled on my interest pc tech, i might take online class or two!

Anybody watching LaPalma Volcanoe tonight?    

Eric Escobar

6 hours ago, strider1 said:

massive wow to popos, massive wow to system76 for putting it together and tutorials like this.

PopOS just became my recommended beginner distribution.

Its been really quite an exciting few months for updates news, XP12, steam deck, nvidia 470 and now incoming 495 version drivers, Wayland, KDE, Gnome, enhanced skyscapes, new Apple kit. On a personal side finally getting the 744 to release 2 and AutoATC into proper flight testing while knowing it survives XP12.

Microsoft hitting the self destruct button.

But at the same time. Good grief I hate waiting for computers. I want all these nice things now now now #$#$$÷!@%

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

6 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Give the rabid nonsense a rest. Please.

(off topic)

Sometimes they make you wondering though... I'm sorry this is off-topic, but yesterday I've been astonished to read this in the FS2020 SDK EULA: https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Introduction/SDK_EULA.htm

1.h Disqualification. Microsoft may disqualify any MSFS Add-Ons for any reason, including security, reputational or compatibility concerns. Microsoft may, without liability to you, publicly discourage users from using disqualified MSFS Add-Ons.

It is as if the Visual Studio EULA would be saying: Microsoft may disqualify any Windows Apps you develop and tell the world it is word not allowed...

Let alone this clause which is meant to prevent creativity:

1.a work around any technical limitations in the Software that only allow you to use it in certain ways;

(back on topic)

Edited by RXP
formating + source URL
  • Upvote 2

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

19 hours ago, jarmstro said:

You can also install one of the Linux/OS in a VM!

Eric Escobar

I am not sure you can do PCI passthrough with VirtuaBox or at least the time I tried, I couldn't. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

2 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

I am not sure you can do PCI passthrough with VirtuaBox or at least the time I tried, I couldn't. 

It looks like Nvidia supports PCI pass in their latest beta driver, not sure how that works in V/box, if at all. 

Eric Escobar

20 hours ago, mSparks said:

PopOS just became my recommended beginner distribution.

Coming from Windows you can't beat Mint Linux Cinnamon. Higher ranking on Distrowatch. I had no issues at all.

• Like 1