Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

I'm loving the city night lighting

I've always enjoyed night flying the best clear back to FSX days and before. Hurtling through darkness plus or minus a moon phase to a lit ILS runway, clouds or cloudless. I find it even more intriguing on final when you fly over major highways, vehicles steaming by under what seems like a decent effort at highway lighting. Are the night-lit objects in MSFS 2020 better at night now then they were for FSX from the past? I guess, but I really don't remember. Night flying is the best!

United001 

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

You guys gotta check this out.  I guess in the true words of a millennial, this is sick!  (might be better viewed in a dark room)

I've got a break in the clouds, and can see some stars, I've got the small city lights illuminating the cloud bases, and a perfect amount of night lighting for this semi small town near KCWA.

Wow they really nailed this!  Asobo, do not change this!  (airport environment still could use work - taxiways too bright when flying the pattern.)

51621103825_4aecd25114_o.pngNLingamazing4 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 6

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Nice new background.  Thanks

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

37 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

You guys gotta check this out.  I guess in the true words of a millennial, this is sick!  (might be better viewed in a dark room)

I've got a break in the clouds, and can see some stars, I've got the small city lights illuminating the cloud bases, and a perfect amount of night lighting for this semi small town near KCWA.

Wow they really nailed this!  Asobo, do not change this!  (airport environment still could use work - taxiways too bright when flying the pattern.)

Ryan...you are right on dude. Just did my first flight since the update (night flight in the CJ4) and it is indeed...sick (I'm a Gen X'er...I know that term!).  They have this nailed down pretty good at this point.. I have many hours logged IRL at night and this really does get it pretty close.  We just need some bright car headlights on those roads and it will be perfect.  I think they did a great job with the sepia mask on this fix....it's pushed to the right distance now IMO.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

On my first post-WU6 night flight I was disappointed. Madrid at night looked just as awful as before. This morning I woke up early and couldn't sleep anymore, so I decided to fire up my computer for a short morning flight. When I took off from LFSB in the CRJ it was still almost completely dark and wow - what a difference! I'll have to check out some more places but what I saw this morning was one of the best night sceneries I've ever seen, even in VR. I couldn't take a screenshot at that moment because I was busy being amazed but here's one from a later stage of the flight when the sun was already above the horizon. Sometimes this sim looks absolutely gorgeous.jWyIXpF.jpg

• Like 3

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Have to agree, night lighting on the ground is incredible. I just wished I could see moving cars... It seems they only show up when I'm at like 1000ft or less. Anyone experiencing the same? It would be perfect to see the moving lights of traffic when flying above cities, instead of the static, albeit quite beautiful, views that I have today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jikul said:

Have to agree, night lighting on the ground is incredible. I just wished I could see moving cars... It seems they only show up when I'm at like 1000ft or less. Anyone experiencing the same? It would be perfect to see the moving lights of traffic when flying above cities, instead of the static, albeit quite beautiful, views that I have today.

Good idea. Although, it would have to be another slider/toggle option. Asobo have recently done a lot of optimisation, to leave them more headroom for more features that people are hoping for/they have been planning, over the coming years. But players will soon find the limitations of their systems -- the limitations of existing hardware, even the top-end hardware currently  the market -- and so, the more Asobo add in to please people and give a more detailed experience, the more people will have to choose between having one setting on/high and another disabled, at least until consumer hardware catches up with what's expected, demanded, and implemented.

Edited by March Hare

1 hour ago, Jikul said:

Agreed. That‘s one of the great things about XPlane. It really adds a lot. IRL cars are very visible at night.

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

I took off last evening from Porto flying the A32N in the fine sunset flying into the darkness, but the sky wasn't dark for very long as just off to my right was the 'rising' moon which was blood red as it slowly graced the horizon. A good half hour later and the clouds, cities below and atmosphere were lit up by a bright full moon. The city streets down below clearly visible, just silently gracing the skies above Europe. Final descent into Zurich was a spectacular sight.

Edited by shamrockflyer

Well, at least it more closely resembles P3D now!

Chris Camp

Agreed. Night lighting is just incredible now. Gliding over city streets at night is so realistic. Frankfurt one amazing example. 

• Like 1

The night lighting is great now, major improvement. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Is the night lighting in SU6 better than what it  was in the Alpha builds that everyone was saying was the best?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

10 hours ago, Shack95 said:

Agreed. That‘s one of the great things about XPlane. It really adds a lot. IRL cars are very visible at night.

If you can see the lights through the haze. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310