Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, vjeanmarc said:

Anti-P3D ??
I don't think there are any antis to anything.
Everyone is free to choose the sim that suits them, right ?

Ah, apparently you haven’t met any flight simmers.

😉

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Oz

 xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

So…

  • DX9 to DX12
  • 32-bit to 64-bit
  • the whole world’s coastlines and ground textures improved out of all proportion 
  • road traffic fixed.
  • Atmospherics hugely improved
  • Assigning core functions to specific processors on your CPU resulting in far better performance

didn’t impress you? 😳

You are right, these things you mentioned are impressive, they are a big step up from FSX.  Like the upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit is awesome, It's so nice not to have to worry about VAS anymore.  One thing I do love about P3Dv5 is the LOD and draw distance is amazing, I feel like I can see the smallest details in the scenery all the way to the horizon whereas In FSX I always feel like I'm flying in a bubble.  Those reasons you mentioned are some of the reasons why I will be using P3Dv5 for a long time to come.  But still there are things that disappoint me, simple things like the GPS as I mentioned before and while the default scenery is improved, it still looks pretty dated to me which is why I'm glad all my Orbx scenery I already own works for P3Dv5.  Every simulator has it's upsides and downsides, overall I have to say P3Dv5 is a nice simulator and I do enjoy using it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Kalnon said:

You are right, these things you mentioned are impressive, they are a big step up from FSX.  Like the upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit is awesome, It's so nice not to have to worry about VAS anymore.  One thing I do love about P3Dv5 is the LOD and draw distance is amazing, I feel like I can see the smallest details in the scenery all the way to the horizon whereas In FSX I always feel like I'm flying in a bubble.  Those reasons you mentioned are some of the reasons why I will be using P3Dv5 for a long time to come.  But still there are things that disappoint me, simple things like the GPS as I mentioned before and while the default scenery is improved, it still looks pretty dated to me which is why I'm glad all my Orbx scenery I already own works for P3Dv5.  Every simulator has it's upsides and downsides, overall I have to say P3Dv5 is a nice simulator and I do enjoy using it.

I don't really understand your GPS comment. Are you talking about default P3D planes?


Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Kalnon said:

But still there are things that disappoint me, simple things like the GPS as I mentioned before and while the default scenery is improved, it still looks pretty dated to me which is why I'm glad all my Orbx scenery I already own works for P3Dv5.  Every simulator has it's upsides and downsides, overall I have to say P3Dv5 is a nice simulator and I do enjoy using it.

Regarding entering a flight plan I use an alternative method which is extremely good but does require buying a third party product. Aivlasoft Electronic Flight Bag. It can run on the FS PC or on a networked one. 30 day free trial if you want to try it. I can choose any waypoint in EFB - even a point in space - and when I add it to the EFB plan it’s also inserted into the P3D one. I’ve never used the P3D planner. I can’t imagine anyone does.

The only ORBX package I use is FTX Global. The coastlines of v5 are highly accurate down to the smallest detail. I have their airports of course but nothing else.

I’m pleased you have decided to stay with a sim that continues to evolve whilst maintaining backward compatibility.

  • Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, IanHarrison said:

I don't really understand your GPS comment. Are you talking about default P3D planes?

Yes I was talking about the fact that there is no way to enter a flight plan into the default P3D Garmin GPS using it's flight plan page like you can in every other simulator like X-Plane and MSFS.  The only way to add waypoints and navaids to your flight plan so it shows up on the GPS you have to use the flight planning tool.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Regarding entering a flight plan I use an alternative method which is extremely good but does require buying a third party product. Aivlasoft Electronic Flight Bag. It can run on the FS PC or on a networked one. 30 day free trial if you want to try it. I can choose any waypoint in EFB - even a point in space - and when I add it to the EFB plan it’s also inserted into the P3D one. I’ve never used the P3D planner. I can’t imagine anyone does.

The only ORBX package I use is FTX Global. The coastlines of v5 are highly accurate down to the smallest detail. I have their airports of course but nothing else.

I’m pleased you have decided to stay with a sim that continues to evolve whilst maintaining backward compatibility.

Thanks for the tip, I will check out Aivlasoft EFB and see what it's about.  I've heard of EFB's but have never used one.  Right now, the main way that I navigate is using Reality XP Garmin's like the GTN 750.  The downside to Reality XP is that it is missing a lot of waypoints and unpaved airstrips that exist in the simulator for some reason so sometimes I have to use the P3D flight planning tool instead to make a flight plan, especially when I want to bush fly.  Also sometimes I find it more immersive to use the GPS in the VC instrument panel instead of having the 2D Reality XP panel blocking my view.

As for P3Dv5 itself, I do also want to say I do really like that it is so customizable.  I'm finding that if there's something I don't like about it, usually there is a way to fix it.  I'm getting more and more into the tinkering that goes along with using it.  I'm finding it's possible to really personalize it and make it just the way I want once I learn how.  I don't think that is quite as true or as possible with other modern simulators like X-Plane and MSFS.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Kalnon said:

Thanks for the tip, I will check out Aivlasoft EFB and see what it's about.  I've heard of EFB's but have never used one.  Right now, the main way that I navigate is using Reality XP Garmin's like the GTN 750.  The downside to Reality XP is that it is missing a lot of waypoints and unpaved airstrips that exist in the simulator for some reason so sometimes I have to use the P3D flight planning tool instead to make a flight plan,

Try the free trial. A second monitor is ideal so the display is always visible. It uses few resources so won’t affect P3D performance.

Unless the Reality database can be updated via a Navigraph subscription that problem will remain. The solution is to use an external planner that is updated via a Navigraph subscription and feed the Reality.

I fly the Vertx DA62 which has a G1000 panel. It accepts plans from EFB plus any changes enroute. Planning in EFB is extremely easy for my VFR flights but I use PFPX for IFR ones. Those can also be imported into P3D.

 


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Try the free trial. A second monitor is ideal so the display is always visible. It uses few resources so won’t affect P3D performance.

Unless the Reality database can be updated via a Navigraph subscription that problem will remain. The solution is to use an external planner that is updated via a Navigraph subscription and feed the Reality.

I fly the Vertx DA62 which has a G1000 panel. It accepts plans from EFB plus any changes enroute. Planning in EFB is extremely easy for my VFR flights but I use PFPX for IFR ones. Those can also be imported into P3D.

 

Ok I'll give the free trial a go.  I've been wanting to get a secondary monitor for things like that, I only have one for now but I do plan to get another one in the near future.  I've also been wanting to get a Navgraph subscription, especially since I've started learning how to fly airliners now.  I'm still confused as to how to flight plan using SIDS and STARS and ILS approaches, etc. so I'm trying to learn how to do that kind of stuff and I think Navgraph would help.

I don't know if it's possible to update the Reality XP database or not, I'll have to look into that but it does sound like a great idea.

I don't have any aircraft with a G1000 yet, that DA62 looks nice though, I may have to add that plane to my wishlist.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Kalnon said:

I've been wanting to get a secondary monitor for things like that, I only have one for now but I do plan to get another one in the near future. 

Note the minimum resolution recommended on the Aivlasoft site.

37 minutes ago, Kalnon said:

I've also been wanting to get a Navgraph subscription, especially since I've started learning how to fly airliners now. 

Mandatory for serious flying especially if you use EFB. All you need is a FMS Data subscription. You’ll only see that once you create a Navigraph account. They try to push you to the far more expensive Charts option.

39 minutes ago, Kalnon said:

I don't know if it's possible to update the Reality XP database or not, I'll have to look into that but it does sound like a great idea.

It should still be able to accept a plan from an external source just like the Vertx DA62 can. Be aware the Vertx installer requires a P3Dv4 installation but by adding a couple of entries to the Registry it’s possible to get around that and fly it in v5.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Mandatory for serious flying especially if you use EFB. All you need is a FMS Data subscription. You’ll only see that once you create a Navigraph account. They try to push you to the far more expensive Charts option.

I really think the Navigraph full pack (charts + FMS Data) is a must have if a simmer is serious about simming and fly often. It is frustrating when it is your subscription anniversary but then you are ok for one full year.

The luxury to have the whole up to date charts for almost all airports worldwide without having to search for them on the net is priceless.

Honnestly I could not fly anymore without navigraph.

Share this post


Link to post

@sdirand, I can assure you I’m deadly serious about my flights and I don’t need Charts. If you look At Aivlasoft’s EFB it gives me all I need for a fraction of the price of the exorbitantly priced Navigraph Charts package.

Each to their own.

  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

So…

  • DX9 to DX12
  • 32-bit to 64-bit
  • the whole world’s coastlines and ground textures improved out of all proportion 
  • road traffic fixed.
  • Atmospherics hugely improved
  • Assigning core functions to specific processors on your CPU resulting in far better performance

didn’t impress you? 😳

Comparing with what MSFS offers in 2023? No, it didn't. 

This endless talk should be ended with the simple fact that currently there are no products in development intended for P3D platform. Once LM hasV6 available, then we might start talking again. 

Edited by G-YMML1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Comparing with what MSFS offers in 2023? No, it didn't. 

This endless talk should be ended with the simple fact that currently there are no products in development intended for P3D platform. Once LM hasV6 available, then we might start talking again. 

Who mentioned MSFS? I didn’t and it would be appreciated if you didn’t draw a comparison in this subforum. If you want to do so then post in a neutral area like Hangar Chat.

Whilst there may be limited numbers of new addons for P3Dv5 there’s a huge back catalogue to choose from over many years.

  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

there are no products in development intended for P3D platform.

That’s wrong. FSL are close to releasing 64-bit Concorde to beta testers. Better research required before making sweeping statements. 😉


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That’s wrong. FSL are close to releasing 64-bit Concorde to beta testers. Better research required before making sweeping statements. 😉

They've been "close" since I don't remember when, so I'd rather wait and see, because it might turn out that you would be the only customer on the P3D platform 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...