Sign in to follow this  
JGregory

New v12 v. V11 Comparison Pics

3 godziny temu Pastaiolo powiedział:

Byłoby miło, gdyby ktoś z odpicowanym XP11 zrobił to samo, zwłaszcza z x-Vision lub podobnym dodatkiem dbającym o kolory.

Tak to dla mnie wygląda (XP11 + Orbx + xVison + Airport Environment; bez żadnych dodatkowych zabiegów):

https://mega.nz/file/QyB10AQI#vzHx35DAfskyOOuZAO6KXqOMipA9qQxHu2Fehx0Qw2k

PS Nie wiem jak wkleić zdjęcie zamiast linka 😉 

Edited by Bulva
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Bulva said:

This is what it looks like for me (XP11 + Orbx + xVison + Airport Environment; without any additional treatments):

https://mega.nz/file/Q2wgAAyS#4EAsI0eJnidMCYl0pBZpl7r5cE4Kd2Q0EZYjN_z2ouA

PS I don't know how to paste a photo instead of a link 😉 

It looks good but the default xp12 looks a lot better and it will be default everywhere without having to deal with a bunch of add-ons. + the new clouds/weather is the icing on the cake! All of the cloud/weather addons have been a epic failure in XP10-11.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

1 hour ago, Bulva said:

This is what it looks like for me (XP11 + Orbx + xVison + Airport Environment; without any additional treatments):

The ground textures in XP12 win for me... kudos to Laminar Research :-)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

p.jpeg?size=2048x1536&size_mode=3

oRieBCph.jpg

imo the Xplane12 one looks better in pretty much every aspect. And will be more dynamic (seasons, weatherFX on everything, better vegetation animations...).

With that in mind, the mesh in MSFS looks to be much higher res, it affects the overall look of mountains + dense trees with more "lighting" content i.e. mountain self shadows. The Xplane12 one just does not seem to have enough geometry imo.  So look at the mountain behind the terminals, looks better overall in MSFS due to better mesh.

Tessellation is highly needed for Xplane terrain. (Wouldn't mind the next generation pipeline with task and mesh shaders but that is another story lol)

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, tonywob said:

The ground textures in XP12 win for me... kudos to Laminar Research 🙂

I recall discussions about orthos vs procedural approach with many people claiming orthos look better than a procedural approach. And the MSFS shot is with 3d grass, for Xplane12 it is still on the to do list for now but still looks miles better.

Although I realize those terrain patterns for airports are automated by WED functions, fact is Xplane has a currently under-used and a very strong decal system even for the global scenery, with the proper art assets, it's then up to whatever in-house algos LR have to cut their global scenery. Long term they did mention ortho scans to get more accurate terrain content, they are doing this for the new water colors IIRC.

But this is a nice representation for how orthos just look bad, really bad.

Edited by akita
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, akita said:

imo the Xplane12 one looks better in pretty much every aspect. And will be more dynamic (seasons, weatherFX on everything, better vegetation animations...).

With that in mind, the mesh in MSFS looks to be much higher res, it affects the overall look of mountains + dense trees with more "lighting" content i.e. mountain self shadows. The Xplane12 one just does not seem to have enough geometry imo.  So look at the mountain behind the terminals, looks better overall in MSFS due to better mesh.

Tessellation is highly needed for Xplane terrain. (Wouldn't mind the next generation pipeline with task and mesh shaders but that is another story lol)

Just bare in mind, I don't think the global scenery has been recut for 12 yet. Normally one of the last things to happen, so it could be the case that Laminar insert higher density mesh (although I doubt it without tesselation, so I agree with your point there. )

• Like 1

I think what's interesting here though... is how a few simple technologies really do push the look of XP in places very close to MSFS. The sky model is basically identical. Imagine if they had introduced a grass material shader right now for 12. Increase the intensity of AO, and you'd have something pretty uncanny.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, DeltaWho said:

Increase the intensity of AO

Really hope we don't get AO like that, it looks absolutely ridiculous. Daytime ambient shadows are subtle, not gallons of black paint smeared under and around every corner. 

Main thing I'm waiting on is cockpit lighting, kinda bored with all this scenery stuff.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

Talking about cockpits, hopefully the default Baron gets a refresh, the current one looks like a straight port from xp9 times. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, peroni said:

Talking about cockpits, hopefully the default Baron gets a refresh, the current one looks like a straight port from xp9 times. 

Not for 12.0.

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

Really hope we don't get AO like that, it looks absolutely ridiculous. Daytime ambient shadows are subtle, not gallons of black paint smeared under and around every corner. 

Main thing I'm waiting on is cockpit lighting, kinda bored with all this scenery stuff.

Depends how and where you slap it. Current XP AO is this weird checkboard/low resolution... thing. Only enabled for exterior and barely noticable. Done correctly or allowing for baked AO channels (without the need to combine in the diffuse layer) could really improve the look of XP and provide some much needed depth. 

Better AO can also massively help with scenery and getting package footprints down... and quality up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeltaWho said:

Better AO can also massively help with scenery and getting package footprints down... and quality up.

Tbh, I'll just be happy with AO that works, XP11 AO is very very borken to the point of making the sim unusable with it on, and has been for a long time already.

But at the same time Ive seen numerous examples of "more intense AO" looking worse than none at all. 

AutoATC Developer

10 hours ago, akita said:

imo the Xplane12 one looks better in pretty much every aspect. 

The grass is just bump mapping. It's not real grass. Only a 2d trick to fool people. And it "worked".

6 hours ago, peroni said:

There's a bunch of Baron mods at the Org including cockpit textures. Have you checked? There is also the Carenado Baron plus a REP addon, which I own. Haven't used it in a while. No shortage of options for Baron simmers.