Sign in to follow this  
Flyinggok

Graphic Card decision for P3D - what's your recommendation

Hey,

I am close to my decision to buy a new graphic card. I know the prices are high... but I am still on a 1080, which performs great but I get some christmas bonus from my company and I decide to spend the money for a new graphic card.

My preference is an Asus 3080 TI ROG but I am struggeling between this card and a Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3090 AMP Extreme Holo.

The main question for me is, are 12GB VRAM enough to ran the sim smooth and without any "out of vram" issues with 2K/4K Resolution. I am currently running my Sim also on really high settings and also on 2K texture resolution and in some scenarios I am close to an OOvM.

The question is, if the Sim has the possibility to use more VRAM, will he completly fill it or only use the necessary one.

Probably someone has some experience with 3080 TI and a 3090 one.

Appriciate all your input on this.

Cheers

Bernd

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

I have a 3090.  The sim does not "fill" all of the open memory.  From my direct experience, and what others have said here, 12GB will work just fine.  My monitor is a 38 inch running at 3840x1600 for your reference.  Whether the sim is smooth for me seems to be entirely CPU dependent, and I'm running a 5950x. The video card keeps up just fine.

What are the price comparisons? You can make the SIM use more than 12Gb of VRAM, but whether you'll notice much difference visually is more subjective.

Edited by kevinfirth

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

The 3080 ti as ~ 2.5k € the 3090 is ~3,5K

The big question is, are the more VRAM 1K Euros worth :- /

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

18 minutes ago, Flyinggok said:

The 3080 ti as ~ 2.5k € the 3090 is ~3,5K

The big question is, are the more VRAM 1K Euros worth :- /

I don't think either of them are worth that. I picked my 3090 up for £1799.  Objectively P3D5.3 for me results in VRAM use around the 7/8 Gb mark.

Edited by kevinfirth
  • Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

Moving to a 3080 Ti has been a real positive change for my flight simming.

No VRAM OOM issues any more. Highest VRAM use I've seen in P3D v5.2 is 9.8 GB out of 11.1 GB (Windows uses about 1 GB of VRAM in background). That was with 'High' settings on nearly everything (except water reflections), using TE GB South, Aerosoft EGLL, AIG AI traffic and QW 787. Usually, my VRAM never goes above 8.1 GB.
Also, much more fluid than my old 1070, which wanted to melt under the stress of displaying on a large monitor (3440 * 1440) and using medium/high settings everywhere.

The 3080 Ti can deal with all the textures thrown at it, so I now have far, far fewer stutters and no worry about VRAM exhaustion.

P.S. A quick look at Alza.at shows the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti XC3 ULTRA at €1.829,00 including tax (much less than the prices mentioned earlier in this thread and maybe cheaper than the ASUS ROG you were considering).

Edited by F737NG
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

3 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

I don't think either of them are worth that. I picked my 3090 up for £1799.  Objectively P3D5.3 for me results in VRAM use around the 7/8 Gb mark.

True but I dont think the prices will get lower in the next month/years and I do see massiv FPS decreases if there are cloudy conditions.

Still able to fly smoothly but If there is the possibility to get a better/newer graphic card hm. In view of 5.3 (still not installed) the Volumetric Cloud should also has been improved (not using it currenlty cause my graphic card can handle it).

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

Well,

I'm super fine with my 8GB 3060 Ti ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Chase timeframe delta consistency not FPS.

I would disagree, you can do both at the same time, with some compromises where necessary.

xaP1VAU.png

I have the RTX3090 and the amount of memory is not used, but I think it´s not bad to have some headroom. I´m happy with the performance it gives.

The sim itself was improved since 5.0 or 5.1 in regards of VRAM use. It was almost impossible to fly with Flytampas EHAM and ORBX TE NL with a 8 GB card. Today, it may work. 

The 3090 was really expensive, but still a good price by the time I got it. Today it´s sold for much more or is not available at all. 

• Upvote 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

CES 2022 less than a month away 4th January, and NV expected to announce and release new 30 series Ti GPU`s later that month.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Can somebody explain how to achieve 0 delta increases?  Is a way to adjust for that fluidity?

Thanks.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

6 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

On the P3D side, so long as I can stay at 40 FPS or higher (VRR min range for my monitor) the deltas are less distracting even when I go from 40 to 60 FPS.

But I'll always agree that 120 FPS 0 delta > 60 FPS 0 delta > 30 FPS 0 delta, but the delta is the primary focus, then the FPS.

Agree, I see that too in P3D.

Perhaps the best statement is when you reach the limit of your hardware to maintain an acceptable FPS and delta, then concentrate on the delta not the FPS?

• Like 1

xaP1VAU.png

59 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I'm perfectly happy at 30-40 FPS and a low avg delta, would I like 60 FPS at low avg delta, you bet ... but I don't like to give up visuals to hit 60 FPS and can live with more visuals at 30-40 FPS. 

For me this depends on different add-ons. For all but the NGXu and the Milviz KingAir, I can maintain great visuals at 50fps with almost no perceptible delta 🙂 with the PMDG and Milviz, they can be ok at lighter scenery, but are better at 30fps in heavy scenery with ai traffic.  40fps would be a real sweet spot but my 4k TV wont do it 😞

59 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The secret to achieving lower deltas is combination of more capable hardware and managed graphics settings (don't just max everything out) and configuration of DLC/add-ons.

Totally agree with Rob here. Use the best hardware you can, set it up in the most efficient way, then balance your visual needs and required performance.

xaP1VAU.png

@Rob_Ainscough thank you so much for sharing and explanation

One more question, please.

What is the best option on locking the FPS? In game, NCP or Riva tuner?

Edited by killthespam

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090