Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Stutters

I'm getting really annoyed with the stuttering I'm seeing, but I assume it's only on my end.  When I first take off, everything is fine.  But withing a few minutes ev..er...y...thing is just...you get it.

Is anyone else getting this or is it just me?

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

I personally alleviated a lot of stutters using OFF SCREEN TERRAIN PRE-CACHING set to Ultra. 

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

On your suggestion, tried that.  Fixed things for about one second, then it was back to the same old.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

1 minute ago, andyjohnston.net said:

On your suggestion, tried that.  Fixed things for about one second, then it was back to the same old.

Tried photogrammetry off? 
terrain LOD below 210? 

For me, stuttering is really caused by graphics settings and fixed by the correct vsync settings between the sim and Nvidia control panel. Every computer will be different though, and I'm not sure what your hardware and settings are.

Personally, to eliminate stutters and still have a smooth experience, I run with my monitor set to 59.995hz. In MSFS, I have vsync off, fps limiter off, and full screen. Most settings are between medium/high, enough to get 30+fps consistently. Then in Nvidia Control Panel, I select vsync of 1/2 monitor refresh rate, Standard Vsync, Triple Buffering On, 1 prerendered frame, ensure Single Display Performance is selected as well as power to Prefer Maximum Performance. 

Your setup may differ, and you may want 60fps, I'm not sure. But I have used these settings to have the best performance, to my liking, across FSX, XP10/11, MSFS and over many years. Just my $0.02.

Edited by usairways56
  • Like 2

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

Mine happen at certain airports (the payware STL is pretty bad) and typically on short final or when panning around in the VC (FBW 320).  Mine happen very inconsistently though.  Some days are great and some are really bad.  I've been messing around with settings but haven't found the sweet spot.  Settings below right now.... if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.  

Vsync off

FPS limit none

LOD - 200

Render Scale - 100

Vsync - off

Off Screen Terrain Pre cache (no idea what this does) - Ultra

Vector data - ultra

Objects level of detail - 100

Building - high

trees - high

Clouds - high

Texture res - ultra

texture synth - ultra

Antistropic -16x

texture supersample - off

contact shadows - ultra

terrain shadows, contact shadows, windshield, ambient - high

shadow maps - 1536

terrain shadows 1040 

cubemap reflections - 64

Depth of field, bloom, motion blur, lens correction, lens flare, raymarch  - off

cockpit refresh - medium

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Only an issue if I've set Terrain LOD too high, but it's very easy to predict by just looking at the Dev Mode FPS display.  Aim for something around 20ms on the main thread and all should be well.  If not, something may well be amiss on your configuration.  I only have rare stutters, sometimes literally none, but often a tiny stutter associated with ATC generating speech, and also the white spinner on the lower right part of the display can cause microstutters--so I disable it an all's nearly perfect always now.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

5 hours ago, Noel said:

Only an issue if I've set Terrain LOD too high, but it's very easy to predict by just looking at the Dev Mode FPS display.  Aim for something around 20ms on the main thread and all should be well.  If not, something may well be amiss on your configuration.  I only have rare stutters, sometimes literally none, but often a tiny stutter associated with ATC generating speech, and also the white spinner on the lower right part of the display can cause microstutters--so I disable it an all's nearly perfect always now.

How did you disable the white spinner?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, usairways56 said:

For me, stuttering is really caused by graphics settings and fixed by the correct vsync settings between the sim and Nvidia control panel. Every computer will be different though, and I'm not sure what your hardware and settings are.

Personally, to eliminate stutters and still have a smooth experience, I run with my monitor set to 59.995hz. In MSFS, I have vsync off, fps limiter off, and full screen. Most settings are between medium/high, enough to get 30+fps consistently. Then in Nvidia Control Panel, I select vsync of 1/2 monitor refresh rate, Standard Vsync, Triple Buffering On, 1 prerendered frame, ensure Single Display Performance is selected as well as power to Prefer Maximum Performance. 

Your setup may differ, and you may want 60fps, I'm not sure. But I have used these settings to have the best performance, to my liking, across FSX, XP10/11, MSFS and over many years. Just my $0.02.

Since I've got into PC gaming, about 5 years ago now, I was always lead to believe in 'prefer maximum performance' in Nvidia control panel...

I did it religiously for years just on a per game basis and global at optimum.

Now though i just use optimum everywhere.

For example I run MSFS on mainly ULTRA but with few HIGHS on the settings that don't make any difference.

Rendering scale at 120.

Now here's the thing for a start my Ryzen 5 3600 i cut out the boost via power management so it just goes to 3.6.mhz.

RTX 2070 under vaulted to 800v max and 1740 mhz.....

From that I run capped 30fps, but with cap off it can get 45-60 with no render scale i can get about 60fps.

Anyway my point here is with Optimum power in NVIDIA in parts of the flight i can see the card is only using 1200-1400 mhz and 7.20v.

This means low stress low heat.

Then if i hit a city it will maybe rise to the cap of 800v / 1740mhz, then go down again once out of heavy area.

So why would i use Prefer max performance?

Most of the time MSFS on some of the best settings (at 30fps cap at least) is hardly needing much of my system's grunt.

Why force my system to use more than it is needing?

If i do that temps get for me too high.

My way gets GPU temp of 55-65c.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 3600 / RTX 2070 8GB / 2x8 RAM/

1 hour ago, stesma54 said:

How did you disable the white spinner?

That is what a lot of us would like to know.  It's down to Asobo to remove the pointless thing unfortunately. :smile:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

That is what a lot of us would like to know. 

Get yourself a  9-year old 4770k, a vanilla 1080 and a 50 Mbps 4G  connection. I almost never see it.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I was getting regular stutters. Something like every 15 minutes. Well, in fact, precisely every 15 minutes. Duh...the penny dropped. My FSUIPC Autosave was set to 15 minutes. Untick Autosave, and no more stutters.

A shame in a way, because I've used FSUIPC for years, and it's a true life support system, not only device management but especially Autosave with earlier flight sims and their CTD's, but in reality it's not been much use in MSFS because I cant get restart to work well.

Petraeus

9 minutes ago, Virtpilot said:

Yep tells it straight about the mythical 'prefer maximum performance'.

Optimum gives you max when needed and only what you need the rest of the time.

I found that using the in game cap at 30 fps gives maximum at all times, but if in NCP i use frame cap at 45 it then will lower the usage if not needed.

Which leads me to believe the in game frame cap isn't actually a frame cap at all.

Flying over some incredible landscapes using only 1200 mhz and 7.20 volts and 60% power and seeing 56c on my GPU temps is great.

And totally reverse to the "max power everywhere!!!11" brigade..

Ryzen 5 3600 / RTX 2070 8GB / 2x8 RAM/

Stutters can be very hard to track down Andy.  sometimes something running in the background may cause them and virus checkers are well-known for this.  Quite often, they can be down to just one graphics setting or generally having settings too high for the equipment you have.

I have a few addon sceneries that cause a stutter or two, but I like them too much to switch them off.

Suggest rebooting, making sure your anti virus is excluding your msfs folder, emptying your community folder and using default msfs and videocard settings then cranking them up slowly until the symptoms occur.

Locking FPS at 30 helps for many.

I do not use a rolling cache for various reasons and have found that the sim is smoother when I do use one.

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)