Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

EDDT - Berlin defunct airport

So I just bought EDDT Berlin (on an impulse) via ORBX Central.  It is from Gaya Simulations who I respect as a developer and wanted a good German airport to fly into (offline and on Vatsim).  Kind of miffed that after purchasing I realised this airport is now defunct and the ICAO code EDDT isn't recognised in Simbrief so I can't plan IFR flights to and from the airfield.  😞

My bad for not doing research (?) but in all my years of buying 3rd party airports I've never been sold one that is defunct in real life - I guess the only one that springs to mind is Kai Tak.  The store description doesn't mention anything it only says this "The home of the now defunct Air Berlin".  I read this as a defunct airline not a totally defunct airport!

Anyone else make the same mistake?

Thomas Derbyshire

Nope. 

When Gaya released this the airport was not yet closed. But it was known since the planning stage of the new EDDB Airport that EDDT would close the moment EDDB opens.

That happened in November 2020.

Probably that's the reason why they have a put the price so much down on sale.

1 minute ago, 737_800 said:

Probably that's the reason why they have a put the price so much down on sale.

Ha and that's why I bought it!  Will defo add this step into my pre purchasing checklist for next time!

• Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

6 hours ago, sidfadc said:

Anyone else make the same mistake?

Maybe...😞    but I also bought it ouf nostalgia. Flew into in on Dan Air in the ealy eighties when I visited West Berlin. Wanted to visit Neukoln because I was a big Bowie fan and he lived there in the mid/late 70's.  I remember no-one speaking English but I got by on my 3 years of high school German. I'm always less self conscious speaking German compared to other languages. Always feel like I'm acting when I attempt to speak othet languages.

I got it this past sale as well along with Brandenburg. I mainly got it because I flew into EDDT a couple years ago before rona hit and I wanted something in sim to remember the trip. That said, it totally slipped my mind that I may not be able to enter in a route for the flight due to updated airacs. Oh well...

I also think Gaya did a pretty fantastic job with the scenery.

Edited by Kevin_28

There is no vatsim atc in Eddt. Eddb or nothing. And yeah ur fault. Do ur recherche always 

Edited by DaWu

Lukas Dalton

16 hours ago, sidfadc said:

in all my years of buying 3rd party airports I've never been sold one that is defunct in real life - I guess the only one that springs to mind is Kai Tak

Meigs airport is another, it still sells despite having closed in 2003 and so far, no one has complained that it is not there in the real world.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reader said:

Meigs airport is another, it still sells despite having closed in 2003 and so far, no one has complained that it is not there in the real world.

Meigs is a must have for all (aged) simmers, like me. 😃

• Like 3

FlyByWire Simulations

1 hour ago, Watsi said:

Meigs is a must have for all (aged) simmers, like me. 😃

I have been frequenting Meigs ever since FS2 🙂

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

The new airport is word not allowed. Way out in the boonies. Tegel (EDDT) was in the middle of the city, you arrived hoped on a bus and that was that. Subway was also just a short hop away. Because it was so well connected to public transportation, there was never a need to rush to get to your flight. Missed the bus? Take the subway. Missed both? Take a cab.

The other great Berlin airport was Tempelhof (now a public park). Flew into Tempelhof when it was still open with (now defunct) Belgian airline  Sabena (in passenger parlance: Such a bloody experience never again).

If I remember correctly, during the Cold War a couple of Polish LOT turboprops found their way to Tempelhof - LOT Lands often in Tempelhof.

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

The new airport is word not allowed. Way out in the boonies. Tegel (EDDT) was in the middle of the city, you arrived hoped on a bus and that was that. Subway was also just a short hop away. Because it was so well connected to public transportation, there was never a need to rush to get to your flight. Missed the bus? Take the subway. Missed both? Take a cab.

The other great Berlin airport was Tempelhof (now a public park). Flew into Tempelhof when it was still open with (now defunct) Belgian airline  Sabena (in passenger parlance: Such a bloody experience never again).

If I remember correctly, during the Cold War a couple of Polish LOT turboprops found their way to Tempelhof - LOT Lands often in Tempelhof.

Yeah, I used Tegel IRL a lot for my job. Since EDDB, I use the train when I have to travel to Berlin.

FlyByWire Simulations

EDDT als had a fantastic panorama deck for plane spotting.

I purchased this to keep memories alive.

I also purchase aircraft that are no longer in use IRL so same thing one could argue..

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

On 1/4/2022 at 11:09 AM, Ricardo41 said:

Tegel was old, cramped and uncomfortable as a passenger experience. I do not miss it. The only good thing about it was the curry wurst in the EsS-Bahn outside.

Have not visited EDDB as pax yet, but as pilot flying in to it, it is a bit easier in terms of taxiing. Otherwise, just another airport.

I love nostalgia airports. I would love to see Munich-Riem also again in Flightsim.

KaiTak is one of my favorite 😉 by the way

Stephan from Germany

My System