Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Thinking of reinstalling X-Plane....

Nope this isn't one of those threads, I love MSFS and I do believe it is the future of flight simming.  Prior to purchasing MSFS I was an avid XPlane user, prior to that P3D and FSX.  For a while I left my xplane folder alone and installed.  However one cold Sunday afternoon I was doing some housekeeping on my PC and decided to delete the XPlane folder because a) at the time I didn't think I would return b) it was taking up a lot of disk space.  

So, sometime has passed and last night I watched Flightdeck2Sim showcase the new challenger and its the kind of aircraft that is right up my street - it looks amazing.  In a shrewd move all my ortho is still intact on another drive including True Earth sceneries from ORBX and a few other things.  I've also kept hold of my licence key to reinstall.  The other enticing factor is after purchasing MSFS I shelled out on the HOTAS Warthog and throttle, I used to use my old saitek yoke on Xplane so be interesting to play around with my newer gear on Xplane.  Technically I could have it up and running pretty quickly without it being a week of work to configure.

Still undecided but wondered what you guys think?  

Cheers

Thomas Derbyshire

I think that this topic belongs in the X-Plane forum. 😉 Besides, why should you care what we think? Some will say your crazy and others you are not. Make up your own mind, I'd say. (I personally deleted all my other flying sims and they will never return.) 

Edited by tup61
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 1

For me , X Plane is like going back to a VHS machine. But each to his own. 

• Like 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Not sure why you uninstalled X-Plane in the first place? I still have both installed just in case I feel the urge to geek out with a study level airliner.

• Like 1

My only arguement for X-plane would be out side the G1000NXI, the GPS is mostly broken. I just did a flight and tried to set up an approach for RNWY 34 at KPVD coming from the south in Rhode Island. It would only allow me to us the airport its self as a transition (PVD) and then out to the faf. But when it got to PVD it would just do circles and not go to the faf. 

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

I reinstalled it a few months ago during a period of "issues" with MSFS.   It stayed on my machine less than an hour.

For all the things that are better or more complete with XP11 the overall experience was so "last gen" I just couldn't take it.   If you'd told me i'd feel that way about XP11 12 months ago I'd have said you were mad.

For all it's faults, there's no going back after MSFS.   I'm sure many will still find great pleasure out of XP11, but it was a complete waste of time for me.   Be interesting to see what XP12 brings, but for now there is only one commercial aviation flight sim worth sticking with, for me anyway.

I say go for it. Doesn't take long to install. Right, now let's mark this topic as resolved and move on.

Edited by sanh
  • Like 3

I bought XP11 on sale last month just because of the fidelity of the airliners I have been seeing on live streams. Been really happy with the FF757, IniBuilds A300, along with the LevelUp 737. XP11 will never compete in visuals against MSFS, downloading Orthos is a PITA but I am excited for what XP12 brings to the table.

I still fly in MSFS with the FBW, Heavy Division and Salty along with occasional GA flights. Both sims fulfill a need in my hobby and I am perfectly happy. Competition is good for this industry, drive new innovations.

thought about it a few times never went back and wont go back. MSFS still has a ton of quirks and bugs but starting the sim up and not having to 'tweak' and download/decompress TBs of ortho is a massive relief. If MS can just stabilize and stop constantly breaking stuff we might get some great addon aircraft sooner then later.  

• Upvote 1

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

I don't think it's unusual to be attracted to the bright, shiny new aircraft that XP or the others offer still. I miss my Zibo 737 for sure. But I don't miss the other ugly things about XP that I never liked and that MSFS does so much better. Stay the course with patience, I think you'll be happier over time.

United001  

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

I would fly more of it but upgrading my monitor to 1440P has really killed my performance in XP.  MSFS it almost made no difference.  Hoping XP12 changes things.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I never tried X-Plane but I heard good things about it.

Honestly, I could never go back to a previous generation of simulator.

MSFS (for all it's imperfections) is a living, breathing world which is just waiting for the SDK to be fully implemented so the world can be opened up.

Imagine where it will be be in another 5 year's time - the mind boggles..In a good boggly way..

• Like 1

I say don't worry about ortho, addon, and other stuff. Just re install vanilla XP11 which is very small + Hotstart Challenger 650 and just enjoy what that aircraft has to offer.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

There's only one thing that X-plane 11 is far better at...simulating the flight of an airplane. 

• Like 1

X-Plane is still my mostly-used sim, despite having the 3 major sims out there. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020