Sign in to follow this  
styckx

I'm so exhausted of this sim

On 1/20/2022 at 10:52 PM, MrBitstFlyer said:

Store version?  If so, get the Steam version for far fewer headaches.

Zero headaches with the MS store version

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

MSFS is more reliable than any sim I have had in almost 30 years of simming. 

Other than a few quirks including the occasionally mystifying installation peculiarities, I wholeheartedly agree.  And while the diehards over at another subforum vastly overrepresent what's deficient in MSFS as a flight simulator I marvel at just how complete it really is.  When I harken back to all that was required to maintain P3D for years, when every time a new version or occasionally a hotfixed version came out the need to track down your addons to insure they were properly updated to match P3D, the need to rebuild the .cfg file then edit a few lines in it, the shader folder, adjust the affinity mask for your current hardware, deal with ample CTD's here and there along the way, the wretched performance (4.5 was as far as I went with it) where a plot of 20 wind turbines would tax the main thread beyond repair, turning up the two little panel lights would increase GPU load by 20%, etc etc.  Most of all though I'm struck by the fact even w/o PMDG birds, without FSCaptain without which I never ever flew P3D, I still fly MSFS more than I ever did FSX then P3D. 

We are in new territory w/ a cloud-based flight sim which clearly has its own set of problems and I think, considering this reality, it is quite remarkable MSFS is more reliable and stable than FSX/P3D ever was for me.

• Like 9

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

23 minutes ago, Tierborn said:

Zero headaches with the MS store version

Most of us had zero problems with the store version - for me it was over a year and then it broke big time. No use for four days.  For those that have had problems it has mostly been the store version - just look at the threads.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

3 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

Yes - and no.

Just let the installer place the “core” files in the standard location on C and when the Installation Manager screen appears make sure to select your custom location, such as D:\MSFS. This what I have done from day one and I’ve never, ever had any of the problems mentioned in numerous threads here.

Sure, but that is what I did originally (August 2020). 
Other than directing it to the F drive for the main install, I never interfered with it. 
I was quite surprised to see the WpSystem folder in the root of the F drive.  I actually thought it was a Windows folder until I searched for my MSFS camera files and found them there.

So I am not sure what happened.  It may be just the usual lottery we get of some people having no problems while others do.  Certainly, after uninstalling the beta in the right way, overwriting the WpSystem folder was an 'undocumented feature'.  :biggrin:

Anyway, I am done with it now.  I am setting up my custom cameras again as I go.  I will definitely back up my WpSystem folder also in future.  

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I may be totally wrong, but is seems like the bulk of the problems seem to come from people that didn't use the default directory. I did use the default, even though I hate looking for it , but it seems to be trouble free both for install and  updates. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I may be totally wrong, but is seems like the bulk of the problems seem to come from people that didn't use the default directory. I did use the default, even though I hate looking for it , but it seems to be trouble free both for install and  updates. 

This is true Bob, but during the beta, MS / Asobo specifically said that it is best to have a non-standard (non C drive) install to avoid problems.    

I have had no problems with the normal updates even with my install on the F drive, but I will absolutely not put anything else on my C drive other than Windows, MS Office, and a few windows apps that I use. 
It makes it so much easier to backup and reinstall the partition is windows has a hissy fit and chews up its own installation or has a bad update. 
With games becoming so large these days, it is becoming quite common to install on another drive.  There is nothing wrong with this approach.

• Like 4

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

On 1/20/2022 at 6:50 PM, styckx said:

This is exhausting. Why do all flight sims have to be a full time job?

It's not a sim, it's a marriage.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

It makes it so much easier to backup and reinstall the partition is windows has a hissy fit and chews up its own installation or has a bad update. 
With games becoming so large these days, it is becoming quite common to install on another drive.

I went with the KISS model, bought two m.2 NVMe 2Tb 'drives' (aka electronic chewing gum sticks), and install everything on one of them.  I use Macrium Free (so good I did end up purchasing) to create a clone on my other 2Tb drive and re-clone it every 3 months or so in the event of a catastrophic failure, it's a simple matter to swap in the clone and be back up and running in a few minutes.  I have run System Restore on a couple of occasions to fix a non-catastrophic issue as well.  One can leave both NVMe drives installed and dual-boot which I did for a long time but you have to be careful with this approach as I learned once, though Macrium resolved the boot problem. Since then I just remove the cloned drive and revert to single boot.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, dobee51 said:

It's not a sim, it's a marriage.

Probably why a few AVSim members need counselling!😉

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

So out of morbid curiosity I reset my BIOs to optimized defaults with the XMP profile loaded..  Despite the fact my bios settings have not changed in years and installed it fine in the past. 

Nope. The installer STILL randomly hangs on decompressing packages.. Hours go by with no progress.  One time I even made it to 30GB downloaded before it hung up. Then just now, it made it to a whopping 719MB before getting stuck.   This is such a joke. '

My system is fine. I play Forza Horizon 5 constantly, I can run Cinibench for hours without issue. It's just MSFS.. It's always MSFS.. 

Edited by styckx

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

3 minutes ago, styckx said:

It's just MSFS.. It's always MSFS

Tried the Installation Media fix yet? Solves so many things without losing data.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

13 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

Tried the Installation Media fix yet? Solves so many things without losing data.

I see no "fix there" That's just the install media for Windows 10. I'm on 11 and I'm on a 3 month old fresh install straight using the Windows 11 media creation tool. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

25 minutes ago, styckx said:

I see no "fix there" That's just the install media for Windows 10. I'm on 11 and I'm on a 3 month old fresh install straight using the Windows 11 media creation tool. 

Then use the Windows 11 version.

As I said:

41 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

Solves so many things without losing data.

But if you don't want to try to "fix" your issue, ignore it. However, it's solved 3 problems I've had with MSFS relating to startup or updates, and for others who've tried it on my suggestion. Don't create media, just use it to fix Windows whilst retaining your files and settings. I haven't used the Win11 version so I'm assuming it works the same. If it doesn't give you that option, simply cancel the operation. You've nothing to lose.

Edited by 109Sqn

This thread is exhausting.  lol

ns

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

3 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

This thread is exhausting.  lol

ns

No, that would be the Twotter thread

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD