Sign in to follow this  
styckx

I'm so exhausted of this sim

2 hours ago, DJJose said:

As I stated, this is probably not going to happen to anyone here at AVSIM. It only happened to me because I don't have a clue of what I'm doing.

ok, here goes, as explained many times in many threads, from one exhausted fellow MSFS pilot to another:

the path to your MSFS installation can be changed by the user in a file "usercgf.opt" on your C drive, before you re-install MSFS:

Where can I find the UserCFG?

\Users\(replace with your user name here)\ AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

check the very last line, in my case it looks like this:

}
InstalledPackagesPath "D:\fs2020"

this should do the trick.

Edited by turbomax
  • Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

I haven't had one single issue with MS (not the steam ver)  no even after switching mobo/cpu/ram,  had a couple of CTD a few weeks back but that was with DX12, so far very stable and great performance, and I do have my CPU/GPU OC'ed, to a slight extent. Lucky I guess.

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

40 minutes ago, turbomax said:

ok, here goes, as explained many times in many threads, from one exhausted fellow MSFS pilot to another:

the path to your MSFS installation can be changed by the user in a file "usercgf.opt" on your C drive, before you re-install MSFS:

\Users\(replace with your user name here)\ AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

check the very last line, in my case it looks like this:

}
InstalledPackagesPath "D:\fs2020"

this should do the trick.

It finally accepted my request to install to my MSFS 2020 folder in drive D. It did not want to do it before. Unfortunately, it's downloading at 1/4 of what it used to. I read that many people are having this issue. I'm like an SSD that has gone into the red, but I still have plenty of space left. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

20 hours ago, styckx said:

After suffering from the dreaded random uninstall and getting the courage to reinstall. I can't even do that.  The installer randomly gets locked up on the uncompressing stage.  Numerous times I check up on it and see it's stuck uncompressing. How does something so great on one end, suck so bad on the other.  

This is exhausting. Why do all flight sims have to be a full time job?

When this mini update launched, suddenly the sim would not launch. No idea why. The day before it was fine, and I was not in the beta. I tried everything, and I could not get it running. So full re install (3rd time). And just like you, it kept hanging up. It took me 4 days... I kid you not to get this thing installed. Its ridiculous. I play a few other games, and none of them have issues like that. 

• Like 2

I've had trouble just getting minecraft to download and install in one go through the windows store. Not that this will eliminate CTD's in coming updates but highly recommend the steam version of the flight sim as well.

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

MSFS = the most Study Level game/software to figure out in history. I can't think how many times I had to install or uninstall FSX over the last 10+ years. Step away from the computer guys for a while don't let it get you down take a break.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Like 2

Problems with your MSFS computer...Try the Float Test.

Throw your computer into the nearest lake or deep pond. 

If it floats....No problems.

It it sinks...Forget it.

Works every time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beagle12 said:

Problems with your MSFS computer...Try the Float Test.

Throw your computer into the nearest lake or deep pond. 

If it floats....No problems.

It it sinks...Forget it.

Works every time.

This method whilst extremely effective can be a wee bit expensive.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:19 AM, himmelhorse said:

MSFS has been for me the most troublesome sim of them all

Sorry to hear that... For me MSFS is the most troublefree sim ever (maybe apart from Aerofly FS 2). Guess it's a matter of luck...

Ok, here's my probably controvesial take on this. The pc users of this software are guinea pigs for xbox!

While i don't know how many people on this forum are exclusively xbox only users of msfs  my guess is that there are not many. But it does seem that all the problems at present stem from pc users of the sim. The clues are all there, for example single monitor usage (how many people use more than one tv/monitor at once to use xbox).

The fact you have to use the xbox app to update from the store, many apps only work on pc version and are not available on the ms marketplace (because ms  don't get money for them)  no real heavy duty study level aircraft because of the sdk,there are several more clues there but you get my jist.

I don't think this is all asobo's fault,they are being bossed by ms for the xbox and us pc users can test what works and what doesn't I think their brief was to make it look pretty and have people playing on it for a while with reasonable looking weather. It was never really designed for hardcore simming hence why pc users have so much grief.

Just my 2 cents,agree or disagree your choice.  And yes i do own it, but hardly use it and have only ever bought 2 addons, none of which are from the marketplace i prefer to give my cash to the developers themselves 

Pete Little

15 hours ago, turbomax said:

That's interesting!  I did find links or shortcuts to the files there, but on doing a proper search, the actual files are stored in a folder in the root of my F drive, which is where my MSFS installation is.
The folder on my F drive is called WpSystem, and then the file path is basically the same as yours above.  

I suppose if you install MSFS on your C drive, the actual files go there, for a non-standard installation on another drive, the files go in the WpSystem folder on whatever drive you select.
It doesn't make much difference though, as clicking on the link in the C drive still takes you where you need to go.  I just wish the update hadn't wiped mine!  :sad:

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Interesting. Iff MSFS 2020 is written with a leaning to xbox, i wonder iff they will prioritise pc

set ups/configs at some point.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

I suppose if you install MSFS on your C drive, the actual files go there, for a non-standard installation on another drive, the files go in the WpSystem folder on whatever drive you select

Yes - and no.

Just let the installer place the “core” files in the standard location on C and when the Installation Manager screen appears make sure to select your custom location, such as D:\MSFS. This what I have done from day one and I’ve never, ever had any of the problems mentioned in numerous threads here.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

MSFS is more reliable than any sim I have had in almost 30 years of simming. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

15 hours ago, jpe828 said:

When this mini update launched, suddenly the sim would not launch. No idea why. The day before it was fine, and I was not in the beta. I tried everything, and I could not get it running. So full re install (3rd time). And just like you, it kept hanging up. It took me 4 days... I kid you not to get this thing installed. Its ridiculous. I play a few other games, and none of them have issues like that. 

A new class of simulation. Study level installation simulator! If this was EA they'd be charging for this bug feature. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors