Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daniel Pimentel

Is everyone a software pirate?

i think you have wrong view, not everyone is a pirate, ok i have to admit that i have many mp3's, but FS addons are different, i even got a credit card last year, to be able to buy all addons i want (before that i was only able to get addons from simmarket which accepts bank transactions and many other payment possibilities), i even drove to paderborn (100km's from my hometown) to the aerosoft base, just to be one of the firsts to get Mega Airport Frankfurt...

Guest spookymufu

>I believe if you went to most systems of the adults on this>forum, you'll find the majority don't pirate mp3's and don't>pirate the software you claim, or any other. And I believe if>you went to many of the systems owned by the younger members>here, you'd find the same would also be true.>-John I'd be willing to bet your wrong, there are a lot more FS pirates then you know or think or willing to admit........taking the word of those that frequent these forums (all FS forums) that say they dont pirate isnt giving you the truth, I've seen many many FS'ers that say publicly that they dont condone piracy and dont do it only to have them ask if I want to trade addons in private chats, and not just a few. Also the newsgroups, P2P, and many other forums for trading addons. No matter what a company does to prevent it (including flight1) there will always be someone that can crack it.....yes, even the wrappers can be cracked.

"I'd be willing to bet your wrong,"Well, in spite of the fact that I don't agree with you there's nothing in the way you stated your reply to make me angry--so I guess we just have to agree we disagree.-John

I look at all the add-ons I have and there are even some that make me think, what was I thinking.. In the end though I did buy them, except for the ones that I recieve for review purposes.. Piracy helps no one and only makes it harder for those who do it the right way to begin with.I came across one of those sites once in a google search and was amazed, though not surprised, that such a place existed... I never gave it any real thought as I never went looking for it.Computer hackers in general need to be dealt with as they serve no real purpose to the computing world and have only created the need for extra security.

Guest jgreth123

Whenever any 'right or wrong' thread comes up, why is there always someone that has quote the bible?In a respectful manner, I ask that you please keep religion out of this thread.Thanks.As far as the topic is concerned... I do not support piracy. I can not, however, say that I've never downloaded an MP3 or something similar. I have actually acquired a 'hacked' version of an FS addon or two, but on a trial basis. ( non-Flight1 :( ) On those particular items, I did purchase the ones I kept. I deleted the ones I didn't use ( I hate a cluttered FS/hard drive ). So, sometimes these pirated versions can come in handy. I have run into many addons that weren't worth $2, but they charged $30+. I'm glad I had the option to try them. As for Flight1, I love those guys, I've returned quite a few addons that I didn't like. I've kept more than I've returned though, so it's not like I'm just getting it, flying it until bored, then getting a refund. Not the case at all... I just refuse to spend so much money on a game only to find out it isn't worth the money. Bravo Flight1 ;)Anyhow, that's all I have to say about this subject.

730 views in less than 24 hours but only 18 posts...Lots of interest in reading, but not much interest in participating... I think that actually says quite a lot given the subject matter.

Guest nem

>>What that means is in conclusion, that add-on developers are>>not actually loosing money through piracy, or at least not>an>>amount significant to their enterprise.>>>That is highly contested.So is the Theory of Evolution. Just to add some sense of proportion here.Regards,http://www.bremmekamp.com/img/misc/avsim.jpg

Guest SageWisdom

I think that when I hear people complaining about software protection, one fellow saying he won't buy anything that "phones home", I have to think they not only do not appreciate that people who are blantantly stealing and peddling copyrighted software on the Internet are directly causing harm to the people that worked hard to produce it, but also, that they are simply not in touch with reality. There is less and less software these days that is being sold on the "honor system" like it was for so many years. Just about everything I have bought lately uses some kind of protection system, and I don't blame them.Its easy for all of us to make speaches about "rights" and so forth. But it is stealing plain and simple and it does damage to real people. I would like it to be like it was in the good ol days too, but the software pirates have ruined that for all of us. They are the ones who should get the blame.

Guest SageWisdom

>I consider it a fact that most people who pirate software (including FS software) won't even buy it if they didn't have>the possibility of getting it "for free", i.e., pirated.I doubt that very much. The fact that they are collecting the stuff shows they want it. And if they want it bad enough they will pay for it, like they have to pay for everything else. I think you got it 100% backwards. They steal the stuff because they can...its available. Otherwise I am quite sure a very high percentage of them would buy it if they were prevented from swiping it. Sure some do it for sport. But I think they are the minority.

Guest SageWisdom

>At last a post in this thread that makes some sense. Piracy>is a problem but the draconian anti-piracy measures of some>vendors is a far greater problem.I have yet to see anything "draconian". Why would software vendors protecting themselves be a problem? They only people who really are experiencing any angst over the whole affair are the people getting frustrated trying to rip it off.

Guest wayupthere

Probally not many replies, because i think we all need to come to terms with it. There is simply no way of stopping pirating software. So many things have been tried within the FSScene as well as other software. It simply doesnt work. Why does one ask, "Privacy" that thin line between Piracy and Privacy. The best sollution sofar imho is the F1 Wrapper, that said for how long is that going to stay secure, if it hasnt been hacked allready.

Guest nem

>Its easy for all of us to make speaches about "rights" and so>forth. But it is stealing plain and simple and it does damage>to real people.Repeat it as often as you might, it will still be false.Stepping up to someone and smashing his teeth in - that's doing damage.Taking away a kid's lunch money - that's stealing.Not buying a chair you're offering in a garage sale, instead taking a knife and some wood and carving the exact same chair that you're offering by oneself - you'd call that stealing?I hope you do, you'd at least be consistent then.Regards,http://www.bremmekamp.com/img/misc/avsim.jpg

Guest jgreth123

Charles, At least spell your home state correctly. Tennessee The F1 wrapper has been cracked for a long time now. Their system is the best though, but not because of their wrapper. Their system is the best because they offer a no-questions-asked money-back guarantee ( 30 days I think?). There are a LOT of addons out there that are hyped up but fall short. For these I LOVE F1 because I can get a refund on a product I don't feel is worth the money. As I said in a previous post, I have used hacked versions of FS addons, but not to keep. I only have used them to try the products out because they were from companies that would NOT honor a refund. I bought the ones I still use today. They have their uses. The same goes for popular games today. Most software cannot be returned due to piracy, so I will often try a game out ( if they don't offer a demo ) and see what I think. If I like the game I go out and buy it. If I don't like the game, I delete it and move on. This debate can go on forever. Piracy will never stop. No matter how good the algorithm is, someone will find the time to crack it. There is not a product out there that hasn't been cracked yet.

Guest jboweruk

I don't get how you can equate carving your own chair to stealing software. It IS stealing, no matter what the name is. Let's put it this way, suppose you walk into Game or as it is in US EB and pick up a copy of eg 727 Professional from the shelf, you walk out of the store without paying. That's stealing isn't it? So why the heck is it any different if you download a cracked version of that exact same software? At the end of the day if you do you ARE a THIEF and deserve whatever comes to you if you get caught. These are people trying to make something back for their efforts, they have wives and children to feed, it's no different that they are software engineers than if they were carpenters or shipbuilders.If you steal something whether it's physical or electrical then you can't complain when the same happens to you.

Guest RobertK

>I have yet to see anything "draconian". Well you haven't looked very far then.But it doesn't matter so much wether software vendors have the right to invade our privacy and misuse our hard-/software or not (and my opinion which is apparently shared by quite a few is that while you are right to protect your property, it doesn't give you the right to do everything for that reason).People are already voting with their feet, and the example of Starforce (and Ubisoft having put a stop on using it) is a first one in a hopefully long list to come.Regards,Robert