Sign in to follow this  
nudata

SP1 Technical Issue Thread

Just read elsewhere in the forum, that the new NVIDIA Beta 158.43 drivers had cured the "out of memory" problem for some.I'm going to try this out to night. I'll rapport back.

>>>If I were a cynic - which thankfully I'm not - I might think>>that Microsoft had achieved the frame rate increases>primarily>>by slowing down the textures.>>>>You know I was starting to think that too, at least in a>non-conspiratorial way. I have noticed a definite decrease in>the quality and loading of textures since sp1 which would>account for the increase in frame rate. The LOD distance is>also greatly reduced compared to pre-sp1. I don't know what's>going on but I hope we get to the bottom of it soon.>> On my system after SP1 I notice that textures are NOT being loaded beyond the area I begin my flight in. Within a few miles, autogen STOPS autogenning and the terrain is lackluster, blurred and empty! If I pause my flight, make a slight change in the "display" settings to get FSX to reload everything then go back to the cockpit, the area where I paused flight is now full of autogen and the terrain textures are sharp and clear. Once I transition into another "blurred" area ( the demarkation line between the 2 areas is quite obvious ) I can fly in circles for several minutes but the textures/autogen do not load. I never had a problem like this pre-SP1. Also, I'm seeing little, if any, improvement in framerates. ( 6-9 FPS in the Seattle area ) AMD XP 3200+, ASUS A7N8XV2.0, 2.5GB DDR, ATI X1600 Pro Paul

Wide-5.jpg

>I am getting SERIOUS blurrys. I mean the texture just do not>load. >>I can fly around in circles over the same city block for two>minutes and they do not load. >>I have deleted my FSX.cfg and it did not help. I can confirm this behavior...see my other post here! Something is seriously WRONG after installing SP1. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest Spud

>Not exactly sure what you mean by "glass panels", but its the>view other than the virtual cockpit (i.e. the entire panel is>before you and you have to click on the little icons on the>panel to bring up the GPS, radio stack, etc).>>Like I mentioned before, everything outside of the plane is>sharp, just the standard cockpit view is blurry. Virtual>Cockpit is sharp as well.>>My previous post described an issue I was having with the>screen going completely white when I clicked on any button in>the standard cockpit view. This was in the King Air...when I>opened the Baron, I didn't have the same "screen to white">problem, but still the blurry standard panel.>>Thanks for your help.>>Note: I figured out what the glass panels where...haven't checked those panels yet.

Guest Spud

Well, I turned off SLI and the panel was back in focus...but looked like crap because I only had one vid card trying to handle the graphics...I'm going back to SLI and I'll live with blurry 2D since I never use them anyway. They need to fix that issue...it's not unreasonable to think people would buy/use SLI to run a graphics intensive program like FSX.

>Just read elsewhere in the forum, that the new NVIDIA Beta>158.43 drivers had cured the "out of memory" problem for>some.>I'm going to try this out to night. I'll rapport back.At your own peril...________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

I just installed SP1 and it seems to run OK but when I tried to defrag using WinXP I get error message that defrag can't start.Same message with everything in systems tools.Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Guest Tarmack2

Gentlemen,I just found a fix for this 2D problem....solved by guru Luciano Napolitano of WidevieW fame.....here is a link to his discovery and if you use Method 1.....all will be well in your world!http://www.wideview.it/fsx_sp1.htm Regards,Cap'n Tarmack>There seems to be a bug with this build...could you please>confirm or deny?>>I use 2-D cockpits and when flying I often press the W key to>hide all the instrument panels, then use the numeric keypad>arrow buttons with Numlock turned on to look around (ex:>behind me) when I am flying (ex: taking off, to get a nice>view of the runway). This used to work but now I just see the>2-D plane cockpit itself, even when no instrument panels are>showing (hidden with the W key).>>Is there a workaround for this? I uninstalled the patch and it>started working again. I reinstalled the patch and it stopped>working again. So, please advise.>>It does seem to be a patch issue, which is a shame, because>except for increased blurries, the patch does seem to make the>game run smoother.

Guest Knikolaes

>I fly GA 95% of the time and enjoy my scenery; hence I want>autogen enabled. Pre SP1 I found a great compromise in using>Matt's autogendescription file tweak, the default.xml tweaked>file (not disabling it), and turning "off" the>roofdescriptions.spb file.(As a reminder this turns "off" your>residential houses in autogen). I then set my trees to 4500>and buildings to 300 and maxed my autogen setting in the sim.>The result: with 1 meter texture resolution I get max trees,>many special autogen buildings and structures, and because of>the 1 meter resolution 3D effect residential houses all look>like they are there in the sim although the autogen houses are>turned off. A very realistic looking effect, at least for me.Wish I could do that. For GA flying I have to stick with FS9 if I want autogen. SP1 did indeed fix performance BUT . . . my hometown is crazy in FSX. Tjey have KPUB surrounded by tall buildings and tall buildings all over the Pueblo area. We don't even have such tall buildings here :-( So I have to turn Autogen off just to safely use the airport because Microsoft thought it'd be cute to put buildings at the edges and ends of KPUB's runways :-P So much for landclass.

Guest pchalpin0855

Newbie here. I received FSX and a new system as a Christmas gift, and activated it by phone. I do not have an internet connection for it and would prefer not to have one. How can I get SP1 on to my system without having an internet connection? Thanks

Guest Knikolaes

>I fly GA 95% of the time and enjoy my scenery; hence I want>autogen enabled. Pre SP1 I found a great compromise in using>Matt's autogendescription file tweak, the default.xml tweaked>file (not disabling it), and turning "off" the>roofdescriptions.spb file.(As a reminder this turns "off" your>residential houses in autogen). I then set my trees to 4500>and buildings to 300 and maxed my autogen setting in the sim.>The result: with 1 meter texture resolution I get max trees,>many special autogen buildings and structures, and because of>the 1 meter resolution 3D effect residential houses all look>like they are there in the sim although the autogen houses are>turned off. A very realistic looking effect, at least for me.>>With SP1 I've bumped up my trees to 6000, set buildings to 500>and turned off the roofdescriptions.spb file again to achieve>the same effect I had pre-SP1, and added a bit of AI traffic>that I had to turn down before. I still prefer the water off>setting and will until I upgrade my machine and can have water>turned all the way up. Until then I prefer the look of the>water off setting, it seems more natural to me overall. The>overall result: same FPS, but with some added graphics and sim>effects.>>One other fix I'm very glad to have: the dawn/dusk lighting>update! It makes a huge difference, at least to me at>dawn/dusk transition time. Thanks Phil!>Ken,Reading this post is VERY helpful -- by chance is there any way to bribe you to place some links here to the sources of these fixes? I already snagged that XML file you linked. Where's the rest? On FSInsider? AVSIM? Would love to know what exactly to search for as your post seems to describe most of the answers I have been looking for!!!:-)Chris

How are you getting here to the forums? If you have Internet access via some other computer, you can download SP1 on that machine and then copy it to some portable media (CD-R, CD-R/W, USB Flash Drive, USB External HDD, etc) and transport it to your non-internet connected FSX machine.

Guest jaapverduijn

"(...) Note: I figured out what the glass panels where... (...)"Would you mind sharing your discovery with me? I'm stil groping in the dark, y'know...Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest nigel28

Not that this isnt a problem but, you shouldnt defrag with XP anyway. If you wanna free defragger that will smoke the stock one, go with Diskeeper Lite.

Guest Knikolaes

I have been reading many of the replies here and folks talking about "graphics intensive" and their graphics cards on FSX. Just as with FS9, the program is not near as "graphics intensive" as it is "processor intensive". FS relies almost entirely on processor and memory. Graphics cards help, but FS is in no way able to take advantage of SLI at all.Do not get me wrong - graphics cards do make a HUGE difference, but most of the actual performance of FS is based on processor performance. Graphics cards just enable you to crank up sliders in the display settings :-)Hope this helps, all.