Sign in to follow this  
Scimiter

DC Designs Concorde on sale.

10 minutes ago, daan_vb said:

So managed to muddle my through from C&D to Cruise on my very first trans-atlantic flight ever from EGCC to KJFK.

Interesting. I’ve tried to plan a Concorde flight from Manchester to JFK but there are two problems. That was in P3D with the FSL Concorde.

1) The runway is only 10,000ft compared to 12,000ft at Heathrow. That limits payload and range.

2) The Great Circle Route taken you right over Ireland so heading for the tip of NI means a long subsonic leg. The better routing is to head for PENIL then turn south down the Irish Sea. Once abeam Anglesey you can go supersonic and pick up the routing from EGLL south of Ireland. But this is longer than from EGLL and with the increased distance would be difficult.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, fogboundturtle said:

This is how DC design  circumvent the limitation of the SDK. There is no delta wing configuration support in MSFS. 

And what is wrong about that ?

I did a lot flying with this plane the last hours and i can see no problems, it is flying very well and that is OK for me.

cheers 😉

• Like 2

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, pmplayer said:

And what is wrong about that ?

I did a lot flying with this plane the last hours and i can see no problems, it is flying very well and that is OK for me.

cheers 😉

Have you flown the decel and descent procedure into JFK? I listed the actions a couple of pages back.

If you have and reached OWENZ close to 14,000ft that would suggest the lack of support for a delta wing configuration isn’t critical.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, jaytee73 said:

For those who complained that there were only 4 colour schemes - there 16 already on flightsim/to

I just got Qantas !!!!  nice !!!

I hate Qantas!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

31 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Have you flown the decel and descent procedure into JFK? I listed the actions a couple of pages back.

No, not yet . But we will see..

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

.....The runway (at Manchester) is only 10,000ft compared to 12,000ft at Heathrow. That limits payload and range.

That is an interesting comment. Despite Concorde's relatively high take off speed, I seem to remember being surprised by how quickly it became airborne (compared to the subsonic airliners) when I was at Heathrow one day in 1998. This would (presumably) have been a flight to KJFK in New York, so I would have thought that Manchester's runway would not have been a problem with the same take off weight. What was the normal take off distance for Concorde on one of these flights?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

That is an interesting comment. Despite Concorde's relatively high take off speed, I seem to remember being surprised by how quickly it became airborne (compared to the subsonic airliners) when I was at Heathrow one day in 1998. This would (presumably) have been a flight to KJFK in New York, so I would have thought that Manchester's runway would not have been a problem with the same take off weight. What was the normal take off distance for Concorde on one of these flights?

I have a third party program that accepts a flight plan and knows the length of all P3D runways. It calculates fuel for the trip based on pax load and accel point and can calculate if the runway is long enough for takeoff for that weight.

For EGCC-LPPT for 90 pax it requires 43T of fuel. Vr is 139kts. That may surprise you but with full thrust + reheats the power was enormous. 47T lighter than the JFK hop.

But with 90+ pax at EGLL the flight required 90T to JFK and Vr was 194kts. EGCC isn’t long enough to get to that speed unless pax load is minimal in which case Vr would be lower.

If you saw Concorde rotate early at EGLL the most likely reason is it was a charter on the Round The Bay trip organised by Goodwood Travel.

The routing was identical to JFK until south of Waterford at which point it performed a slow 180° left turn at Mach 2 finally heading towards Guernsey. It needed to be subsonic 55nm before Guernsey. After overflying Jersey it turned north back towards EGLL.

Around 45-50T for the flight meaning a quicker rotation.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

33 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If you saw Concorde rotate early at EGLL the most likely reason is it was a charter on the Round The Bay trip organised by Goodwood Travel.

That was my birthday gift to my dad back in the late eighties. I saved all the memorabilia and certificate he was given after he passed away.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, mobeans10 said:

That was my birthday gift to my dad back in the late eighties. I saved all the memorabilia and certificate he was given after he passed away.

Well done! What a fantastic gift. He was a lucky man having such a kind son. 👍👏

• Like 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Interesting. I’ve tried to plan a Concorde flight from Manchester to JFK but there are two problems. That was in P3D with the FSL Concorde.

1) The runway is only 10,000ft compared to 12,000ft at Heathrow. That limits payload and range.

2) The Great Circle Route taken you right over Ireland so heading for the tip of NI means a long subsonic leg. The better routing is to head for PENIL then turn south down the Irish Sea. Once abeam Anglesey you can go supersonic and pick up the routing from EGLL south of Ireland. But this is longer than from EGLL and with the increased distance would be difficult.

There was nothing scientific or professional about this flight. I hadn’t originally intended to fly that far, was just playing around trying to learn the aircraft. Fully loaded her up, started up and was barely able to make it off the ground in time (probably did clip a few trips and houses 😇) then flew approximately west probably went supersonic over Ireland while simultaneously learning how to program the FMC. About half way across the Atlantic programmed in the north track that enters over the top of Canada and diverted across…as you have probably gathered, I am clueless when it comes to Concorde and Trans Atlantic operations! I’m a A320/737/Dash8 kinda guy!

Edited by daan_vb

WAT1036.png

Thanks for the clarification, Ray. I did think about those charter flights after I had posted my comment, so it must have been one of those.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, daan_vb said:

There was nothing scientific or professional about this flight. I hadn’t originally intended to fly that far, was just playing around trying to learn the aircraft. Fully loaded her up, started up and was barely able to make it off the ground in time (probably did clip a few trips and houses 😇) then flew approximately west probably went supersonic over Ireland while simultaneously learning how to program the FMC. About half way across the Atlantic programmed in the north track that enters over the top of Canada and diverted across…as you have probably gathered, I am clueless when it comes to Concorde and Trans Atlantic operations! I’m a A320/737/Dash8 kinda guy!

There's nothing wrong flying that way if it pleases you. Concorde operates completely differently to Airbus et al so to maximise its range and to ensure it stays at Mach 2 for as long as possible certain procedures have been designed to ensure that happens.

Forget  descending at 1,800fpm. Doesn't descending at up to 8,000fpm sound more exciting? All perfectly normal for this aircraft. With idle reverse thrust it could descend at even greater rates. >10,000fpm. Don't try that in an Airbus - it won't end well. 😁

If you want to learn more just ask.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Watching this video now.

This is by far the best so far. He knows how to fly Concorde and the proper procedures. Good delivery too. 👍👏

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

One thing I noticed about the DCD Concorde is the lack of a Vmo indicator on the Airspeed gauge. That increases as Concorde climbs through the transonic phase.

MAX CLB mode should chase this indicator using pitch to keep the IAS just below it. Was there any particular reason this indicator was not included?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

One thing I noticed about the DCD Concorde is the lack of a Vmo indicator on the Airspeed gauge. That increases as Concorde climbs through the transonic phase.

MAX CLB mode should chase this indicator using pitch to keep the IAS just below it. Was there any particular reason this indicator was not included?

Same reason there's no engine temp gauge on my wife's old Fiat Punto I expect,  (she loves the relic more than she does me!). Cost. This is a budget item. I've bought it. I've flown it. I'm done with it probably. A novelty with no lasting appeal.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 1