Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

Getting Back Into It - Hardware Advice

Haven't simmed really since the MSFS beta. Busy with real-life flying. Kind of have the itch again.

My system is definitely derelict on the GPU side with a GTX 970. And my CPU is a now getting old with a 8600K at 4.8Ghz.

Obviously, the GPU has to be upgraded. Is the CPU decent enough to put off for a while? As to the GPU, don't want to break the bank, so the highest I can get with Nvidia is a 3070. Highest with AMD is an RX 6800. Kind of worried about the Nvidia only having 8GB of memory, but do AMD cards work well with MSFS?

Edited by bonchie

8 GB 3070 would be a great card.. if you can get it at a reasonable price, and your PSU can handle it.

I fly with an 8 GB 1070 and it actually does the job, at least at 1920x1080 resolution 🙂

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Just wondering ..... would it not be better to save money by using the XBox game bar on your PC and paying the monthly sub after your $1 month? I believe that you can do that and even the older computer will work well with the cloud based game.

Your CPU is fine for now. Better than mine and I run the sim on a mix of mostly high and a few Ultra settings, 1440p. You will be able to achieve 30+ FPS locked and liquid smooth in most instances with a 3070 or 3070Ti. A perfect card to give you many, many years of service. That will be my card of choice when I feel the need to upgrade, half the price of the 3080’s. Right now, I can run my GTX980Ti at 30FPS locked and see no reason to splurge on a 3080Ti. Cost vs reward is simply not there.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

13 hours ago, bonchie said:

Haven't simmed really since the MSFS beta. Busy with real-life flying. Kind of have the itch again.

My system is definitely derelict on the GPU side with a GTX 970. And my CPU is a now getting old with a 8600K at 4.8Ghz.

Obviously, the GPU has to be upgraded. Is the CPU decent enough to put off for a while? As to the GPU, don't want to break the bank, so the highest I can get with Nvidia is a 3070. Highest with AMD is an RX 6800. Kind of worried about the Nvidia only having 8GB of memory, but do AMD cards work well with MSFS?

Only Nvidia gpus will work with the new DLSS feature which Asobo is going to add to MSFS later this year according to their schedule. It should greatly enhance performance and/or image quality at zero cost to the player. I would never buy anything but an Nvidia GPU. DLSS may not turn out well, but if it does you're out of this new performance upgrade without an Nvidia GPU.

It has to be a 2000 or 3000 (or higher) series of Nvidia RTX series to use DLSS, I believe.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

10 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

8 GB 3070 would be a great card.. if you can get it at a reasonable price, and your PSU can handle it.

I fly with an 8 GB 1070 and it actually does the job, at least at 1920x1080 resolution 🙂

@Bert Pieke no OOMs risk in MSFS? 8 GB enough with complex add-ons and good graphic settings?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

10 minutes ago, Fielder said:

Only Nvidia gpus will work with the new DLSS feature which Asobo is going to add to MSFS later this year according to their schedule. It should greatly enhance performance and/or image quality at zero cost to the player. I would never buy anything but an Nvidia GPU. DLSS may not turn out well, but if it does you're out of this new performance upgrade without an Nvidia GPU.

It has to be a 2000 or 3000 (or higher) series of Nvidia RTX series to use DLSS, I believe.

Amd and MSFS will get FSR 2.0

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

6 hours ago, Shomron said:

@Bert Pieke no OOMs risk in MSFS? 8 GB enough with complex add-ons and good graphic settings?

So far, no problems 😉

Bert

Probably gonna go AMD 6800. I just don't want to get into a GC that only has 8GB. That doesn't seem smart for future proofing. I keep my graphics cars a long time (970 for like 8 years at this point), and I want to take the biggest step forward possible. Plus the 6800 is more powerful overall anyway for less money.

I just want to make sure AMD plays well with MSFS. Any first hand experiences? Not just FPS, but stutters and stuff.

Edited by bonchie

2 hours ago, bonchie said:

I just want to make sure AMD plays well with MSFS. Any first hand experiences? Not just FPS, but stutters and stuff.

Why wouldn't it? I've used amd stuff for decades with no problem. Also intel and nvidia with no issues. 

You're basically asking all the wrong questions. 

The two questions you should be asking yourself are:

1. What's my budget?
2. At what resolution do I want to play games and MSFS?

The answers to 1 and 2 will determine your next steps. 

What you are doing is putting the cart before the horse and looking for solutions instead of identifying the problems.

54 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Why wouldn't it? I've used amd stuff for decades with no problem. Also intel and nvidia with no issues. 

You're basically asking all the wrong questions. 

The two questions you should be asking yourself are:

1. What's my budget?
2. At what resolution do I want to play games and MSFS?

The answers to 1 and 2 will determine your next steps. 

What you are doing is putting the cart before the horse and looking for solutions instead of identifying the problems.

Because FSX and P3D did not play well with AMD. I want to make sure there aren't similar issues with AMD in MSFS.

I already know what my budget is and what resolution I want to play at. That's why I narrowed it down to the 3070 or 6800.