Sign in to follow this  
Bnash00

MSFS Mouse Question

Do any of you find it annoying that the mouse cursor times out and automatically disappears after a few seconds if you fail to move the cursor? For example, lets say you are stepping through the legs page on the PMDG 737 with the NAV display in plan mode. You have to repeatedly press that bottom right line select key to step through to the next waypoint. If you just leave your mouse cursor on the button and don't move it, the cursor times out and disappears. You then have to move the mouse to get it to reappear and you can continue stepping through waypoints until it disappears again. This is with all aircraft not just the PMDG. I find this behavior really annoying and was wondering if there were any workarounds or a setting somewhere to change this? Or am I the only one who has run into this problem?  

Edited by Bnash00

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

It's a really annoying Asobo bug - introduced, I think, a couple of updates ago. Goodness knows why it's so low down on their "fix" list. My workaround is to slide the view in any direction (slightly), then slide back. That seems to re-activate it.

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Yeah, it's obnoxious. 

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

6 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

It's a really annoying Asobo bug - introduced, I think, a couple of updates ago. Goodness knows why it's so low down on their "fix" list. My workaround is to slide the view in any direction (slightly), then slide back. That seems to re-activate it.

Good to know, I thought it was just me or I had a setting messed up somewhere. Let's hope they get it sorted soon because it drives me nuts. I will give your method a try and slide the view.

Thanks 

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

Yes, this has to be the most annoying thing ever. 

Exact same as the OP, checking my legs in the PMDG preflight is a complete nightmare! 

• Like 1

This is not a bug and has always been like that. People use the mouse and after a second or two the cursor disappears so we don't have it on the screen forever breaking immersion. I don't see what's wrong with that and hope they don't change it. They could make an option to always have it on for people who likes it though.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

9 minutes ago, Alvega said:

I don't see what's wrong with that and hope they don't change it. They could make an option to always have it on for people who likes it though.

My cat loves to watch the mouse in the screen! He's addicted to cursors.... 🤣

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

42 minutes ago, Alvega said:

This is not a bug and has always been like that. People use the mouse and after a second or two the cursor disappears so we don't have it on the screen forever breaking immersion. I don't see what's wrong with that and hope they don't change it. They could make an option to always have it on for people who likes it though.

The cursor disappearing after a second or two when the mouse is not in use is fine, however I would strongly disagree with you that the mouse timing out after a second or two while I am actively clicking the left mouse button repeatedly to step through the legs page is a bug. A very annoying one. 

• Like 1

Benjamin Nash

11 minutes ago, Bnash00 said:

The cursor disappearing after a second or two when the mouse is not in use is fine, however I would strongly disagree with you that the mouse timing out after a second or two while I am actively clicking the left mouse button repeatedly to step through the legs page is a bug. A very annoying one. 

Well, I've never had that problem. As long as the mouse cursor is visible on the screen I can click the mouse button and it works. 

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Microsoft said this mouse behavior is on purpose and by design so, just keep moving your mouse every 5 seconds when stepping through your flight plan everyone 👍👍

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/mouse-cursor-times-out-while-you-are-actively-left-clicking/560984/1

Benjamin Nash

Whether it's a bug or not, I truly hope that the current behaviour remains as-is. I'd be OK with MS/Asobo offering a user option to lengthen the amount of time before the pointer times out and disappears but I like the current implementation and hope it continues to behave this way.

• Like 2

In my opinion (and this is just my opinion, nobody has to agree) the mouse should not time out if the user is actively using the mouse. The mouse never times out if you constantly keep moving it around the screen. Why does the mouse time out if you stop moving the mouse around the screen, pause over a line select key on the CDU and repeatedly click a line select key? Every left click event should reset the mouse auto hide countdown timer. The mouse should absolutely 100% auto hide and become inactive and disappear after x amount of seconds when not in use. I guess I'm arguing moving the mouse around the screen counts as the mouse is in use, so should left clicking the mouse but not moving it.

Overall, this is a very minor issue. I'm sure Asobo and Microsoft have way bigger fish to fry.    

• Like 4

Benjamin Nash

37 minutes ago, Bnash00 said:

I guess I'm arguing moving the mouse around the screen counts as the mouse is in use, so should left clicking the mouse but not moving it.

OK. Yes. I can support that position as being reasonable. 

• Like 1

No, what bothers me about the mouse cursor disappearing is that it doesn't disappear quick enough. It lingers on the screen for too long, polluting my immersion.

Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 2

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2