Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

It's been half a year since 5.3 came out

2 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

Unfortunate that new models don’t include it as VC’s are a real step back from the photorealistic 2D panels of yesteryear. Edetroits 2D creations in FS2004 blow most add-ons away with VC’s even today in any platform. 

Wow! Have you seen the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25 VC? You might revise your opinion. 

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

That doesn’t look that impressive to me at all. That really proves the point that it’s a artists model based on photographs hence the plastic computer look it has. 

But you can never replace a real photo that’s used as a panel. Check edetroits work. He should be employed by all platforms to provide 2D panels. You’ll never go back to a VC 

Edited by Doug47

52 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

That doesn’t look that impressive to me at all. That really proves the point that it’s a artists model based on photographs hence the plastic computer look it has. 

But you can never replace a real photo that’s used as a panel. Check edetroits work. He should be employed by all platforms to provide 2D panels. You’ll never go back to a VC 

It's hard to fly a visual pattern when you can't turn your head because you're using a 2d panel 😉

That said, have you seen some of the new laser-scanned cockpit models such as the Fenix A320 or Heatblur F-14? They really look like the real thing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

7800X3D - RTX 2080 FE - 64GB DDR5 - Dan C4-SFX

I find it easier to fly a pattern as in real life you don’t pan your view. But like what you like. It’s not a deal breaker for me. As I choose not to use them at all. 

Edited by Doug47

8 hours ago, Doug47 said:

That doesn’t look that impressive to me at all.

Well it does to me.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

9 hours ago, Doug47 said:

You’ll never go back to a VC

I'm glad you like them, I hate them, just no immersion for me at all. You can't look around, and if you've ever flown yourself, you would understand looking around outside the cockpit is absolutely necessary. I will never ever go away from a VC.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Moved from arguing over which sim has 'better' capabilities to arguing over if VC or 2D panels are 'better'...

It's opinion. It's subjective.

Personally, I think that the pic of the Heatblur F-14 left side console looks like the most realistic recreation of a cockpit element that I've ever seen in a flight sim. DCS, *IMO*, has gotten the lighting right and extra little details that no other sim has managed to capture - yet.

All that this page of this thread goes to show is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

13 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

I'm glad you like them, I hate them, just no immersion for me at all. You can't look around, and if you've ever flown yourself, you would understand looking around outside the cockpit is absolutely necessary. I will never ever go away from a VC.

There is a third position, of course... if you have multiple displays set up so that you have a 180+ degree FOV and can literally just look left and right to see what's out there, you don't need to pan the view and with enough 2D panels or hardware panels or some combination of the two, you don't need the VC at all because in that scenario it's essentially pointless.

I appreciate that that isn't a common setup, but it's more common than I think people realise. You don't have to go all the way to a full home cockpit to be able to get rid of panning and mouse-clicking and for me, that's the most important step in immersion. Nothing more immersion breaking than using a mouse inflight, IMNSHO. 

• Like 1

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

11 hours ago, Doug47 said:

I never liked the poor graphical display VC’s have. It’s like looking at a plastic cockpit. That always put me off. 

I would agree with you if we were talking about the VCs in Flight Unlimited 3 (or versions of MSFS from twenty years ago), but the VCs in my PMDG 737NGX and 777 are crisp, clear and well detailed.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

14 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Moved from arguing over which sim has 'better' capabilities to arguing over if VC or 2D panels are 'better'...

Yeah, this is another fantastic example of a thread that has 18 different OT discussions contained within it. Quite entertaining really. 

• Like 2

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

27 minutes ago, neilhewitt said:

There is a third position, of course... if you have multiple displays set up so that you have a 180+ degree FOV and can literally just look left and right to see what's out there, you don't need to pan the view and with enough 2D panels or hardware panels or some combination of the two, you don't need the VC at all because in that scenario it's essentially pointless.

I appreciate that that isn't a common setup, but it's more common than I think people realise. You don't have to go all the way to a full home cockpit to be able to get rid of panning and mouse-clicking and for me, that's the most important step in immersion. Nothing more immersion breaking than using a mouse inflight, IMNSHO. 

My issue was always that none of the flight sims did true FOV calculations.  There is the zoom option but no accurate way I've found within any of the flightsims to go in and do accurate FOV representation.  

In racing sims you have the ability to calculate monitor size, monitor angle, bezel width, seating distance, viewing distance and get a realistic accurate FOV relative to real life perspective. FOV and zoom are separate but configurable.  I haven't seen a flightsim yet that provided those type of monitor definitions so you end up with some weird zoom or fisheye effects on the edges of the monitors, it's just always been one area I found flightsim incredibly lacking compared to racing sims.  True multi monitor/FOV support compared to "zoom level"... 

Edited by psolk
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

13 minutes ago, psolk said:

True multi monitor/FOV support compared to "zoom level"...

I met this guy where he was building a car racing cockpit and he showed me some of the stuff he was using, carbon fibre steering wheel, inter-changeable steering hubs with different displays and functions, surround monitors, amazing set of pedals and shifter, he was spending a ton of money and it looked pretty good.

I guess there are more options overall because car racing is a bigger market with more exposure than flight simming.

When it comes to displays though I personally I love popout gauges rather than a 2d panel.

Cheers

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

This thread is now about virtual cockpits because there was a miscommunication about what VC stood for. lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

This thread is now about virtual cockpits because there was a miscommunication about what VC stood for. lol

We can also have clouds 🙂

Since LM are not the sharing and caring type given their military and professional status, speculation, hearsay and other interesting tales of adventure are all on the agenda.

Cheers

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Edited by Rogen
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Multiple issues in one thread yes, but entirely civil 👍😁

• Like 2

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png