Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

It's been half a year since 5.3 came out

5.4 has got to be around the corner, right? I don't use P3D much anymore but would still welcome updates to the platform for use with the aircraft/airports that haven't made it over to MSFS yet. Usually we get some hints from the beta testers but nothing yet...

Hopefully it's coming soon.

I'm hoping for improvements to EA, especially the odd atmospheric banding and exaggerated sun effect.

Dave

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

11 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

5.4 has got to be around the corner, right? I don't use P3D much anymore but would still welcome updates to the platform for use with the aircraft/airports that haven't made it over to MSFS yet. Usually we get some hints from the beta testers but nothing yet...

I got a feeling, that's the end life for P3d.

• Upvote 1

Mo45

11 minutes ago, Mo45 said:

I got a feeling, that's the end life for P3d.

Nah, their main customer base (not AVSIM users...) isn't going anywhere. P3D itself will continue to be around for a long time, probably. Future third party development for home users is another question. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"I got a feeling, that's the end life for P3d."

Not hardly, they have something like a 10 year commitment with the US Air Force.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Maybe they are prepar6ng something BIG?

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Feel like it will the the rock and hard place situation.  I'd wager A LOT of developers would not update sceneries, etc. if needed.  Likely a lot of aircraft devs as well (Carenado / MilViz, etc).  I would bet PMDG and FSLabs would update.  I can see it being a messy evolution...

• Like 1

Joe Lorenc

46 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Nah, their main customer base (not AVSIM users...) isn't going anywhere. P3D itself will continue to be around for a long time, probably. Future third party development for home users is another question. 

Milviz and another developer mentioned they have commercial contracts for P3D aircraft but their consumer roster going forward is MSFS. Lockheed will be just fine with their commercial and military clients getting complete training packages. 

24 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Maybe they are prepar6ng something BIG?

There was a thread here or on the FSlabs forums where a beta tester hinted work on a next point release but "had no idea" of a v6 or 7.  My hope for V6 is that they do what Microsoft/Asobo (Dovetail also did this before) and contract Orbx and its partners to update the base things (LC, Trees, Buildings, Airports etc)  and integrate them. Proper Truesky integration, mature Waveworks and Orbx made PBR tree, building  and land textures in Prepar3d would give even Xplane 12 a run for its money in visuals. One can dream. I want to see Prepar3d continue to excel, when I got back into flightsim after the release of FSX Steam edition back in 2014, I learned of Prepar3d and have been on every version from 2.5 until current 5.3.  However the shift as been clear and after May, I've been tipped over the the dark side. Though my eyes do stay on the Prepar3d and Fslabs forums so that should 5.4 materialise, I will test it with the FSlabs as that's the only thing that kept me in Prepar3d since the release of the PMDG and before the Fenix. 

8 minutes ago, Joe L said:

Feel like it will the the rock and hard place situation.  I'd wager A LOT of developers would not update sceneries, etc. if needed.  Likely a lot of aircraft devs as well (Carenado / MilViz, etc).  I would bet PMDG and FSLabs would update.  I can see it being a messy evolution...

Carenado and Milviz are definitely out for updates. Scenery wise, MK Studios still shows Prepar3d folks some love. FSLabs will continue certainly with the upcoming NEO and 330. But PMDG...based on the MSFS 737-600 update post for today  4th June on their forums:

"For a few years now, we have been at work conducting a full rebuild on the lateral and vertical path modeling capability for the PMDG FMS used by all of our Boeing airliners. This project has been a bit of a "ship in a storm" in that successive planned rollouts under Prepar3D got sidelined by larger market dynamics."

And also a reply to a question on P3D for the same LNAV module

"We are not currently planning any updates for P3D. Our roadmap for development is currently focused on the getting the 737 development for MSFS completed. Further evaluations will be made at that time. - RSR"

Sorry to say ladies and gents but this is where we are. The season is shifting. I've decided to get used to the new platform (that I had since open beta, bit only used once in a while) and take advantage of scenery update discounts. 

• Like 1

For years one of the very best things about p3d/fsx was addon commonality.  Still have pieces of FSX scenery that with a little help (or no help) still look great in p3dv5.  But, that commonality is now something that is truly holding p3d from moving forward.  But like others have pointed out.  Would the devs even show back up to update their wares?  Going to guess no.  But if something amazing came out I bet they would.  The good news is that p3d is a mature sim that does its job well and is covered by many fantastic addons.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I really believe that P3d will produce something ASTONISHING in its next big release.  Lockheed Martin is no "slouch" of a company.  They have the capability to produce a sim that brings the type of scenery and realism that so many who love MSFS talk about.  I fly both sims, and I still fly P3d much, much more.  I think a surprise is in the very near future.  It will startle the world of flight sim, and it will bring back all the developers who have seemingly given up on the sim. There are things happening behind the scenes of LM and my gut tells me the future will be very bright indeed.

The glass has always been HALF FULL for me, not HALF EMPTY.

Stan

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

"It's been half a year since 5.3 came out..."

And it's still enjoyable... solid performance, nice visuals, and few surprises.  Hard to beat!

Edited by lownslo
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 7

36 minutes ago, spilok said:

I think a surprise is in the very near future

Man, I hope you're right.

Maybe they'll do something similar to MSFS, using Google maps with image-based rendering of vegetation and buildings.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Maybe they will hang around when MSFS goes down the tube they will take it over like they did with FSX 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spilok said:

I really believe that P3d will produce something ASTONISHING in its next big release.  Lockheed Martin is no "slouch" of a company.  They have the capability to produce a sim that brings the type of scenery and realism that so many who love MSFS talk about.  I fly both sims, and I still fly P3d much, much more.  I think a surprise is in the very near future.  It will startle the world of flight sim, and it will bring back all the developers who have seemingly given up on the sim. There are things happening behind the scenes of LM and my gut tells me the future will be very bright indeed.

The glass has always been HALF FULL for me, not HALF EMPTY.

Stan

I would love to see this happen and if it does I will not forget developers such as P*** that promised fixes and upgrades to P3DV5 products customers were told would come when they paid their money only to see them act as if they   think everyone should forget and go after the new bait. You’re treated like some kind of whining troll for bringing it up in their forum.

Edited by Patco Lch
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Vic green

Devs will go to where they can make sales and $$ with the resources they have, just the nature of business.

But yeah, it annoys the c-r-a-p out of me that devs release update after update for when MSFS releases yet another update that breaks a lot of stuff, but won't update their existing P3D stuff to the minimum of at least being able to see and install to the current sim version.

Although to cut them some slack, when MSFS dropped it turned everything upside down and left many devs with little to no sales income, forcing them to follow the boat that is MSFS.

A drug of addiction per-say  😉

Still LM has many commercial customers besides the military, they'd the the ones most fuming @ LM and certainly have a right to feel left behind. Maybe LM could drop a few million Orbx's way to bring the P3D scenery properly up to date so as a base it's much more up to date.

Anyway rant over...

Cheers

Edited by Rogen
  • Like 2

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D